Your Current Musical Obsession

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
pearljammer13
Young Pilgrim

United States

• Posted: 10/06/2012 13:02
  • Post subject: Your Current Musical Obsession
A lot of people like to jump from album to album and band to band, and listen to an enormous amount of music as a result. For me however, when I discover or start listening to a band again, I usually get stuck on them for several weeks at a time. Do a lot of you do this as well? If so, here's where you can post your current obsession in the music world.

For me, the last 3-4 weeks have been dominated by Built To Spill. And the remarkable thing is I've still only listened to two of their albums (Perfect From Now On, Keep It Like A Secret). I want to listen to more, but I can't get off of these two, they're too damn good.

Who is your current musical obsession?
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/06/2012 13:04
  • Post subject:
Swans, Neutral Milk Hotel outtakes, Icona Pop's 'I Love It', Hardcore punk & Scarface.

That sounds about right. Smile
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 10/06/2012 13:18
  • Post subject:
Yeah it does happen to me too. It doesn't necessarily mean I listen to the band/artist for the first time, but it's usually something which I haven't extensively listened to before.
Currently it's Animal Collective (although not so much over the last couple of days), previously it was Grizzly Bear, after I rediscovered Yellow House.

The longest time I've been obsessed with one band (i.e. I predominantly listened to only them), was with Pink Floyd, that lasted about 2-3 years Anxious
  • Visit poster's website
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 10/06/2012 13:23
  • Post subject:
Drake,Flying Lotus,Foals,anything shoegaze,Pavement,Joy Orbison's RA mix,Forest Swords,The Rapture

That's all I've been listening to for the last couple of weeks.
  • Visit poster's website
Mother Nature's Son

Denmark

• Posted: 10/06/2012 13:57
  • Post subject:
My current obsession must be John Lennon's solo career, although I've only listened to 3 of his albums!
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 10/06/2012 15:24
  • Post subject:
Just came out of a Decemberists and Megafaun obsession. I've been listening to a lot of GY!BE and Talk Talk these last few days. I'll probably give Swans a spin later, I hear they're similar. Never actually heard them myself.
  • Visit poster's website
Le_Samurai

• Posted: 10/06/2012 16:00
  • Post subject:
Boredoms. I recently bought and listened to Super AE for the first time and thought it was amazing and gave Vision Creation Newsun a new listen and was amazed by it as well. I don't understand their music at all, but I love it.
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 10/06/2012 16:10
  • Post subject:
Ike Reilly.

"Commie Drives A Nova"

Link

"Valentines Day In Juarez"

Link

"The War On The Terror And The Drugs"

Link

• Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 10/06/2012 16:12
  • Post subject:
Recently came out of a of an Antlers obsession, which I really enjoyed. In about the space of a month they entered the first page of my top listened artists on Last.fm

With only two proper LPs to go on and a couple not-so-good EPs though, there wasn't enough to gnaw on.
Pretty irked their lastest release was an EP, could mean another three years for a full album with the speed it takes artists to release albums nowadays.

• Posted: 10/06/2012 17:01
  • Post subject:
When I was young and stupid: Linkin Park. I still think they are good for a radio pop band, but awful compared to music of any higher level. Their "underground" (EP) albums are less bad than their studio albums.

When first joining the site: Radiohead (sorta). My favorites from them are Kid A and In Rainbows. Amnesiac and The King of Limbs I think are only halfway excellent. I never liked their 90s work, though.

Previously: Boredoms. Fave albums in order: 1) Seadrum/House of Sun, 2) Pop Tatari, 3) Vision Creation Newsun, 4) Soul Discharge, 5) Super æ. I also like the EPs Supers Roots 5 and Super Roots 7. The only studio album I haven't heard is their first album: Osorezan no Stooges Kyo, probably because RYM thinks it is terrible... I should try it sometime anyway. Chocolate Synthesizer has grown on me slightly, but I don't listen to it much. I very much like Yoshimi P-We's sideproject OOIOO, and I think the album Gold & Green is essential. I've been meaning to get into Yamantaka Eye's sideproject The Hanatarash, but never bothered for some reason.

Current: Natural Snow Buildings. Fave Albums so far: 1) Daughter of Darkness, 2) Shadow Kingdom, 3) The Winter Ray, 3) The Dance of the Moon and the Sun. Their first album was made in 2003, but since then they have made a TON of work, especially towards the end of the 00's. In 2008 they released around ten albums, each an hour long or longer. In 2009 they made a 6-hour album, followed by a 1-hour album, and then a 3-hour album. Plus include their side projects, TwinSisterMoon (Mehdi Ameziane) and Isengrind (Solange Gularte), who both have released albums on nearly a yearly basis since 2007. They are the most prolific band I know of starting in the 00s, and I haven't heard a bad album yet, although I admit their work may appear very same-y. If you've heard one album, in a way, you've heard them all, but I love their style enough where it doesn't bother me and I don't personally consider it a fault.