Evenly Good

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 06/19/2012 12:23
  • Post subject: Evenly Good
Just saw someone comment on Marconi Union on Last.FM saying that all their albums are "evenly good." Got me thinking about that idea and if there are artists who have produced good albums in succession.

For me:
Elbow
Doves
Muse
Marconi Union
Mutemath
Beach House
  • Visit poster's website
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 06/19/2012 16:21
  • Post subject:
Great thread idea,There's a few that jump out to me.There's loads of examples of bands who've only released 2 albums and both where good,but I think you're looking more along the lines of bands with 3-4+ albums that have been consistent.

Sonic Youth
Kanye West
Jay-Z
A Tribe Called Quest
Blur - Leisure get's a bad rep,but I genuinely think it's a great album
The Cribs - 'Ignore The Ignorant' however is dodgy in places.
Gorrilaz
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/20/2012 00:58
  • Post subject:
Agree with most but not sure about SY, I can rank my favourite SY albums pretty easily. Kanye is a great shout apart from 808s. My nomination would be Yeah Yeah Yeahs.
pearljammer13
Young Pilgrim

United States

• Posted: 06/20/2012 01:24
  • Post subject:
One band that comes to mind is Modest Mouse. While I can probably rank my favorites relatively easily, I still feel that they are basically all similar in quality (very high). The weird thing is they have evolved quite distinctly with each passing album, but although different they seem to be equally good. They can play fast, slow, tight, meandering, loud, soft...and do it all well.

I also would have put Iron and Wine in the discussion, but the latest album is clearly a step down for me from the first 3 which were all excellent.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 06/20/2012 01:41
  • Post subject:
Everyone is capable of a good run. But the first band that sprung to mind were Pavement.
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 06/20/2012 22:54
  • Post subject:
two albums is easy. 3 albums or more, especially from the 80s and on, is tougher to find.
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 06/20/2012 22:59
  • Post subject:
Manic Street Preachers come to mind

Have they actually released a poor album? Rolling Eyes Really, have they?
Kiki

• Posted: 06/20/2012 23:05
  • Post subject:
DLGGLD wrote:

The Cribs - 'Ignore The Ignorant' however is dodgy in places.

They got better and better with each of the first 3. Men's Needs is one of the best of 2007.

I wouldn't call 'Ignore The Ignorant' a band album but it is one of the greatest disappointments ever for me. I had to kid myself that it was great on first listen to hide this feeling. Then each listen after that had me more and more frustrated. To top it all off I went into this on a high after receiving 'We Were Aborted' from them and actually buying th CD Single for 'Cheat on Me' (still hard to do back in 2008). Pretty much everything else after the first 3 songs leaves me cold.

They tried really hard makings that album. The charm just wasn't there.
Le_Samurai

• Posted: 06/20/2012 23:18
  • Post subject:
Oneohtrix Point Never is the most recent artist who has put together multiple albums (I think about 5) that are all great. Fugazi is another band that comes to mind. All their albums are good and a few are great, with Repeater probably being one of the best, if not the best post-hardcore album ever released. I would say the Pixies as well. While Bossanova and Trompe le Monde are both really good. And then, if course, there is Pavement. Their entire run of albums were great. Sure, their first two are both far and away their best, their next 3 are great as well and would easily be career highlights for any other band. Also, Pulp's string if albums after His 'N' Hers are all great as well. For the 2000's, Ghostface Killah is the first that comes to mind. His first three albums of are really strong. I would rate Kanye up there too, but I wouldn't include his past few releases. I think he's lost his way a bit ehen it comes to his rapping, but his production is still among the best out there.

• Posted: 06/21/2012 00:32
  • Post subject:
Le_Samurai wrote:
Oneohtrix Point Never is the most recent artist who has put together multiple albums (I think about 5) that are all great. Fugazi is another band that comes to mind. All their albums are good and a few are great, with Repeater probably being one of the best, if not the best post-hardcore album ever released. I would say the Pixies as well. While Bossanova and Trompe le Monde are both really good. And then, if course, there is Pavement. Their entire run of albums were great. Sure, their first two are both far and away their best, their next 3 are great as well and would easily be career highlights for any other band. Also, Pulp's string if albums after His 'N' Hers are all great as well. For the 2000's, Ghostface Killah is the first that comes to mind. His first three albums of are really strong. I would rate Kanye up there too, but I wouldn't include his past few releases. I think he's lost his way a bit ehen it comes to his rapping, but his production is still among the best out there.

As much as I love him, Ghostface can never be accused of being consistent. Bulletproof Wallets is awful, Apollo Kids and The Big Doe Rehab (and Wu-Massacre with Meth and Rae) are distinctly average, and - depending on your point of view - Ghostdini: Wizard of Poetry in Emerald City (and yes, that is the title) is unbearably bad/mildly entertaining (for me it's the latter, but I know several people who think it's terrible). That being said, there are plenty of people who like Bulletproof Wallets, but when his canon includes the albums mentioned above alongside classics like Ironman, Supreme Clientele and Fishscale, there is no way his discography can be viewed as "evenly good". However, I tend to agree with your other picks, though I have to admit to knowing nothing about Oneohtrix Point Never.