Australian Music Appreciation Thread

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 06/27/2012 09:50
  • Post subject: Australian Music Appreciation Thread
I rant on a lot about Aussie music and how I love it so.

This thread is for those willing to talk, recommend and discover Aussie music from all decades.

Let's get past the AC/DCs, the Minogues and the Oils and look at other music from Down Under that is great.

Firstly, Rowland S Howard. An unknown figure to most, even in Australia. But his work with The Birthday Party, Lydia Lunch, Crime + The City Solution and his incredible solo projects is amazing. In the documentary Autoluminescent, his guitar work is described in relation to Rowland himself. A hurtful, sorrowful figure that is almost wraithlike in appearance.

Link

'Shivers' is Rowland's signature song but many would know it for the cover versions than his own. Rowland wrote it when he was 16 and for lyrics like that to come from youth is mind-blowing.

Secondly, Jim Thirlwell. Another musician that I have latched onto in the years since joining BEA. Under too many aliases to count, Thirlwell shows that there is more to industrial music than metal-on-metal. He combines big band, punk, soul and classical undertones to become almost his own genre.

Link

'Descent Into The Inferno' is from his days as Scraping Foetus Off The Wheel and this video is rather long. However if you want to skip to about 5 minutes in, the live version of this track from Nail kicks off. The audience may not be enthused but this just shows the power behind a figure that may look just like any other post-punker.

Finally, Gareth Liddiard. The lead singer for The Drones, Liddiard is a symbol of passionate Australia. His hard-to-take accent may deter some listeners as it can be abrasive but the real quality to his music is the songwriting itself. The Drones are more of a critically acclaimed band than popularity based but this doesn't mean you should not be informed of them.

Link

'Shark Fin Blues' is lifted from the album Wait Long By The River And The Bodies Of Your Enemies Will Float By, one of the best titles for an album ever. The lyrics are hugley introspective and can relate to the notion of self-destructive personalities. If you are after cheerful music, avoid this band.

Actually looking at these choices, not overly happy or uplifting but sometimes the best music is build from pain.

So others from across the world, spread your appreciation of Australian music if you will.
  • Visit poster's website
Xavygravy

• Posted: 06/27/2012 10:18
  • Post subject:
Thanks for the post Harkan! I'll get around to listening to these guys.

If you had a weekly update that'd be pretty cool.
  • Visit poster's website
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 06/27/2012 11:45
  • Post subject:
Xavygravy wrote:
Thanks for the post Harkan! I'll get around to listening to these guys.

If you had a weekly update that'd be pretty cool.

See what I can do.

3 artists or something a week. Trying for obscure artists that appear almost only in my charts at the moment.
  • Visit poster's website
Borve Baunehoj

• Posted: 06/28/2012 11:26
  • Post subject:
Scraping Foetus Off the Wheel sounds interesting and pretty disturbing too. What's your favorite album by him?
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 06/28/2012 12:09
  • Post subject:
Borve Baunehoj wrote:
Scraping Foetus Off the Wheel sounds interesting and pretty disturbing too. What's your favorite album by him?

SFOTW released 2 albums under that name. Nail is probably my favourite from that time.

As all his other Foetus variants, Hide from 2010 is epic and a mixture of Thirlwell's industrial past and modern classical present.
  • Visit poster's website
Xavygravy

• Posted: 06/29/2012 04:03
  • Post subject:
Harkan, I really enjoyed those songs you posted! Applause

I'm going to check out Nail, Wait Long by the River and the Bodies of Your Enemies Will Float By and Teenage Snuff Film.
  • Visit poster's website
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 06/29/2012 09:34
  • Post subject:
Xavygravy wrote:
Harkan, I really enjoyed those songs you posted! Applause

I'm going to check out Nail, Wait Long by the River and the Bodies of Your Enemies Will Float By and Teenage Snuff Film.

Tell me how you get on with those. They all challenged me on first listens.
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 06/29/2012 11:26
  • Post subject:
despite being Australian I still have so much to discover about Australian music (so thanks for the suggestions harkan!)

but Imma post my top 10 Australian artists (and my favourite song by each) maybe they're new to someone (probably not)

CUT COPY

Link

NICK CAVE AND THE BAD SEEDS

Link

SILVERCHAIR

Link

JOHN BUTLER TRIO

Link

ESKIMO JOE

Link

THE PRESETS

Link

THE AVALANCHES

Link

ROWLAND S HOWARD

Link

MIDNIGHT JUGGERNAUGHTS

Link

MIDNIGHT OIL

Link

Other artists I like: Lisa Mitchell, The Hilltop Hoods, Bag Raiders, Claire Bowditch, Decoder Ring, Augie March.
btener11
Expert Treasure Hunter

United States

• Posted: 06/29/2012 20:57
  • Post subject:
Firstly, I concur with Harkan about Foetus (Nail and Thaw are my two favs), and everything Rowland S. Howard and Nick Cave have ever touched, including The Boys Next Door, Crime & the City Solution and These Immortal Souls -- not to mention The Birthday Party and The Bad Seeds of course.

Also:

The Saints (brilliant, classic punk rock. Their debut, (I'm) Stranded, is a great starting point)
The Church (Picture-perfect, jangly-shimmery post-punk in the vein of the Smiths-meets-Comsat Angels. Best album -- Heyday)
Cut Copy (gorgeous, dance-y electro-indie-pop. In Ghost Colours is nearly flawless)

One the heavier side, Parkway Drive is certainly worth a listen.
Borve Baunehoj

• Posted: 06/29/2012 21:13
  • Post subject:
btener11 wrote:
The Saints (brilliant, classic punk rock. Their debut, (I'm) Stranded, is a great starting point)
The Church (Picture-perfect, jangly-shimmery post-punk in the vein of the Smiths-meets-Comsat Angels. Best album -- Heyday)

Sounds like something I could dig, thank you.

Also, Radio Birdman have some great songs from what I've heard. Classic punk rock, lots of energy.