Tweeting,Videoing,taking photos,etc.. during gigs.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 06/30/2012 15:48
  • Post subject: Tweeting,Videoing,taking photos,etc.. during gigs.
So last night marked a huge moment in one of my favorite bands career,The Stone Roses played Heaton Park to 75,000 fans.The thing that I couldn't believe was,I could pretty much follow the whole thing from the support acts right up until the fireworks at the end through Twitter and got regular shots from the gig on Instagram and all that jazz.It was both a great and shameful thing,on the one hand I got to live(if only on my laptop playing the tunes as they where played at the gig) the experience a little bit,got to see how much people where enjoying themselves,but on the other hand these people seemed more interested in letting other people know how great it was rather than actually experiencing for themselves.I just wanted to know if anyone actually does this here and why?As it is beyond me,yes you have a momento of the gig,but whatever it is is a false memory of something you didn't truly experience isn't it?Maybe a photo or two between songs I could understand,but tweeting and shit like that isn't for me.
  • Visit poster's website
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 06/30/2012 15:54
  • Post subject:
To some people, the experience isn't real unless others acknowledge it. Rolling Eyes
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 06/30/2012 16:22
  • Post subject:
junodog4 wrote:
To some people, the experience isn't real unless others acknowledge it. Rolling Eyes

YES! Surprised Surprised Surprised RIGHT THERE, WE GOT IT!

The age where everyone wants to be "the reviewer" is upon us and everything must be judged by its "art". But the entire blame can't fall on one group. No it shall not. For the bands and artists should play so well that these people drop their "smartphones" and watch the band play. When they get back from it and the people at home ask why they didn't "tweet" and wasn't it any good, they should reply weakly with tears in their eyes "... it was wonderful."
Yourselfisntsteam

• Posted: 06/30/2012 16:32
  • Post subject: Re: Tweeting,Videoing,taking photos,etc.. during gigs.
DLGGLD wrote:
these people seemed more interested in letting other people know how great it was rather than actually experiencing for themselves.

This is what I hate al ot about twitter/facebook/a lot of this internet stuff, it becomes a tool for constructing an artificial image for yourself and documenting your life in a way to make it look like a film or glossy magazine image. People absorb manufactured and image obsessed media and music, and then make themselves (their personalities) manufactured as well.

As for your actual question I don't care for any of that. I don't get it obviously. I was was at a Hives show earlier this week and laughed when the singer swore at the "internet generation" to put their phones away (he meant it a bit as a joke though).
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/30/2012 17:45
  • Post subject:
Taking photos is fine but I certainly wouldn't spend my time online during a concert unless I didn't like it, if that was the case then i'd just plain leave.
  • Visit poster's website
OK Microwave

United States

• Posted: 06/30/2012 21:11
  • Post subject:
When I saw Radiohead a few months ago, I didn't glance at my phone once. I did, however, get someone I was with to record "The Amazing Sounds of Orgy." It was the first time they ever played it live.
  • Visit poster's website
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 07/01/2012 00:06
Yourselfisntsteam wrote:
This is what I hate al ot about twitter/facebook/a lot of this internet stuff, it becomes a tool for constructing an artificial image for yourself and documenting your life in a way to make it look like a film or glossy magazine image. People absorb manufactured and image obsessed media and music, and then make themselves (their personalities) manufactured as well.

That's like blaming McDonalds for making people fat and you're missing the point on what social media is all about.

I'm a strong advocate for twitter. It's like a personal journal. Future historians would love seeing what people were saying in the past. Imagine if Einstein or Aristotle had twitter. We would be all over that.

So ya twitter rules.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 07/01/2012 00:08
Necharsian wrote:
Imagine if Einstein or Aristotle had twitter. We would be all over that.

So ya twitter rules.

That'd be awesome.

I need to use twitter more. I love it's layout and function, I just never find myself using it. Neutral I have 4x's as many followers than tweets.
  • Visit poster's website
Yourselfisntsteam

• Posted: 07/01/2012 01:05
Necharsian wrote:
That's like blaming McDonalds for making people fat

ok, let me rephrase myself, I dislike the way peers/friends/random people choose to use social media. The format of social media does tend to encourage people to use them in that way. I'm not blaming mcdonalds for fat people, I'm complaining that people keep making themselves unhealthy by eating bigmacs all the time. And while I don't expect/vehemently want mcdonalds to not exist, it is true that if it didnt exist people wouldnt be able to eat the big macs. The analogy isnt totally accurate in that nothing at mcdonalds is useful, but I don't want to say social media is inherently useless, just it allows, and generally is used in useless ways.

Necharsian wrote:
and you're missing the point on what social media is all about.

Potentially. Laughing
I don't mean to pass damning judgement on people who like these things, just my personal cynicism/pessimism/whatever.

Necharsian wrote:
I'm a strong advocate for twitter. It's like a personal journal. Future historians would love seeing what people were saying in the past. Imagine if Einstein or Aristotle had twitter. We would be all over that.

Well, twitter condenses, and forces what one can say into however many characters right?? Its hard to contribute deep thoughts like that, unless your linking to something else, at which point it starts to become just a tool for advertising different things. Does that constrain our thought, what we can say? In the same way that Television fixes us into having attention spans built around half hour segments? Aristotle tweeting something like "yo, virtue is like when you hit the middle point between extremes on something" is not nearly as useful as actually reading one of his books...and do we need to read him saying "working on the Nicomachean ethics right now" or "buy my new book!"? (I think they were actually more like lecture notes or something, but you get my point)

And also, as has been said a million times, the internet in general for all its benefits can become a tool for anyone to say something whether they should be saying it or not. does the world need my specific list of the greatest ever albums? Not really. Would historians like this kind of record of how people behaved/live/thought (not necessarily accurate because of how we manufacture images but whatever)? Yes. do they need millions and billions of people documenting insignificant things to a degree that no one will ever sort through them all? debatable I'd say.
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 07/01/2012 01:24
  • Post subject:
Twitter isn't about "deep thoughts" or intellectual discussion. Subscribe to National Geographic if you want that. I think some people fall into this mind set that everything needs to be useful and thought provoking. I'd much rather be hilarious and stupid and talk about hilarious and stupid things.

What twitter does is that it creates a personal connection between you and someone else (someone who you may not be able to actually know in the flesh, eg a celebrity). The Einstein on twitter example was not meant for him tweeting "E=mc^2" it was meant for him to tweet what we don't know about him. ie regular life. If he tweeted "going to get me some bitchez tonight" that would be way more interesting to me. We get to see him from a perspective that would otherwise be lost. Everyone knows him as an insanely smart guy, but little else.
  • Visit poster's website