40%
 40%  [11]
Vinyl
14%
 14%  [4]
iTunes, Amazon ect.
3%
 3%  [1]
Subscripton (Rhapsody, Last FM, Pandora)
0%
 0%  [0]
"Other"
40%
 40%  [11]
Total Votes : 27

gregfb15

• Posted: 03/25/2011 20:16
  • Post subject: How Do You Get Your Music?
Hi, just wondering how many of you still buy Cd's or vinyl or if people use iTunes, Amazon.
  • Visit poster's website
mooseboy101

Switzerland

• Posted: 03/25/2011 21:32
  • Post subject:
I still buy both cds and vinyl, but im guessing that people mostly use illegal downloads to get there music these days. even i download quite a few albums nowadays.
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 03/25/2011 22:11
  • Post subject:
Half digital and half CDs. But I prefer CDs because the ownership of music seems more real.
  • Visit poster's website
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 03/25/2011 23:06
  • Post subject:
Usually Itunes these days, although I'll still go to the record store every few months. I use torrents once in a blue moon.

-John Cassavettes
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 03/25/2011 23:45
  • Post subject:
I guess it's an age thing, but owning something tangible and real means something more to me than MP3, so I'm more a CD person.

However, I can see physical media completely dying out and streaming services becoming the norm once they extend their content offerings to cover off the remaining gaps in their catalogues. Why own something if you can play any track you want on demand?

I think this is why Spotify has done well. It gives people a great service for nothing. A lot of people near me just use Spotify (free version supported by ads) and torrents. You can see why life is a bit tougher for modern artists.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 03/26/2011 00:40
  • Post subject:
CDs, better sound and booklets.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 03/26/2011 02:04
  • Post subject:
I always prefer to own CD's & Vinyl of albums that I like. It's true that there is a bit of soulessness with digital but also obviously the convenience. Hopefully as long as there's still some of us buying physical format (as there seems to be frrom thgese replies) it won't die out too soon. That is not to say I don't "other" my fair share of music as well Wink
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 03/26/2011 10:20
  • Post subject:
I am poor, therefore "other".
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 03/26/2011 10:47
  • Post subject:
I understand why people do this ($$, 'convenience' etc), but it also makes me wonder if the music industry will be viable long-term, particularly once CD sales fade to nothing leaving the studios entirely dependant on digital sales revenue.

It seems that it's OK to download music illegally for whatever reason e.g. poverty ($6.99 - really?), 'testing some new album' etc).

It leaves the artists with a problem of how to get paid, particularly a problem if your music doesn't lend itself to live performance (the other obvious potential source of $$) (e.g. electronica and other genres where the music is produced in a studio).

Music piracy is pretty much invulnerable to any counter-measure and far too difficult to police effectively. If everyone ends up stealing their music, it will surely harm the industry as a whole and I'm not sure there is anything that can be done about it by the artists (I'm not talking publishers as these are almost redundant now).
  • Visit poster's website
Chemical Smile

Guatemala

• Posted: 03/26/2011 12:14
  • Post subject:
I'd say about 80% of music i download (legally), 10% i acquire from mates (usually in the form of "have you heard this album - here's some mp3's) and the last 10% actually buying cd's.

I find having mp3's the best, as i can keep it all on a hard-drive, swapping it between computers/ipods and takes up hardly any physical space. (i'm not sure how many albums i've actually got, but I do know I've got around 300-350 gig of music on my harddrive.

I used to have a huge collection of 1000 or so cds, but they were a nightmare when i moved house, and i'd spend anything up to 30 minutes looking for a particular cd. I like the fact that if i want to listen to a particular song or album, i can go straight to it. I'm also loving having itunes on shuffle at work and having a vast selection of types of music to listen to.
Generally nowadays i'll only buy a cd if the album is in my top 20 and want a physical copy. I also started doing the same with vinyl - buying my all-time favourite albums, but stopped when i got to 50 or so - again for space issues.

As for finding new music, i find forums like this useful, Spotify is good, and i also check out the 'Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought" section on Amazon