sort by genre

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 07/04/2009 14:12
  • Post subject:
Of course, an alternative would be to allow for multiple search criteria. A person could elect to search only for jazz or blues or earch for both.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
boghall

• Posted: 08/23/2009 17:09
  • Post subject: Genre solution obvious: get on with it + collectors' request
So the solution to adding genres is now clear:
1) Establish the principle by populating with open source/ quasi public genre data (iTunes' classifications are already widespread).
2) Allow songs/ albums to belong to multiple genre/ subgenres.
3) Crowdsource changes - e.g. I could propose to add an album to an additional genre, or change its genre, or create a new genre or sub-genre. Digg-style, that proposal rises or falls on its popularity until it reaches an automated threshold of broad acceptance.
Now get on with it... please!
Also, a suggestion: what I *really* would like is for the whole shebang to be brought together so I can scan my iTunes library with a filter which will, for example, report which of the best 100 jazz albums I don't have and/ or which of those are most likely to appeal to me given what I already listen to most often/ rate highest - and then offer me links to buy them. Could you perhaps work with MusicBrainz/ Last.fm/ iTunes to facilitate this or is there something undoable about it?
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 08/24/2009 10:17
  • Post subject:
boghall wrote:

Now get on with it... please!

Apologies for the delay in implementing this feature. Yes, it will happen soon but it is not a small change and these things take time to develop and test. Please be patient and it will happen.

Quote:

Also, a suggestion: what I *really* would like is for the whole shebang to be brought together so I can scan my iTunes library with a filter which will, for example, report which of the best 100 jazz albums I don't have and/ or which of those are most likely to appeal to me given what I already listen to most often/ rate highest - and then offer me links to buy them. Could you perhaps work with MusicBrainz/ Last.fm/ iTunes to facilitate this or is there something undoable about it?

We could certainly investigate doing something here. We could add a "I own/possess this album" flag and then show you charts with albums that you don't currently possess. This would accomplish much the same thing that you are suggesting. We would have to integrate with iTunes/last.fm to grab your most played tracks etc to achieve the second part of your suggestion. We could do this once we have implemented the first two improvements.

albummaster
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 11/08/2009 11:04
  • Post subject:
Whilst developing this feature, it has become pretty clear that we need to assign multiple top-level genres to some albums e.g. some albums might be Rock *and* Pop. I'm personally favouring at the moment allocating a primary genre to each album (& a secondary genre where appropriate).

However, some albums span more than two genres e.g. compilation albums where there might be a mixture of artists so I am thinking what to do in this scenario as we don't want albums classified into too many genres and showing up in each of the genre charts. It would be difficult to allocate a genre to a compilation album consisting of different styles of music.

The end goal is to provide a greatest album chart for each music genre and we don't want each chart to contain the same list of top albums (a concern with Beatles if they are assigned into too many genres).

As a reminder, if we start with the list of (Gracenote) genres suggested elsewhere in this thread, we currently have:

* Alternative & Punk
* Blues
* Classical
* Country
* Easy Listening
* Electronica/Dance
* Folk
* Gospel & Religious
* Hip Hop/Rap
* Holiday
* Jazz
* Latin
* Metal
* New Age
* Pop
* Reggae
* R&B
* Rock
* Soundtrack
* Unclassifiable
* World

Is on the right track? Any more thoughts from anyone?

albummaster
  • Visit poster's website
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 11/08/2009 13:14
  • Post subject:
I think the idea of having a primary and secondary genre per album might work. As has been said though, the compilation and various artists albums might contain a few different genres. In the latter case, maybe an overall genre (eg. Rock) and the secondary genre is unclassifiable or something along those lines.

For the primary and secondary genres, this is an idea:

EXAMPLE

No. 1 Pick: Jeff Buckley's Grace
Primary: Rock (?)
Secondary: Folk/Alternative

This album would appear in the rock albums list with 100 points. In the folk list it would appear with 50 points (or some fair division of the primary genre points)
  • Visit poster's website
joannajewsom

• Posted: 11/09/2009 12:43
  • Post subject:
I think harkan has a good idea on what to do with compilations. Something like the Now That's What I Call Music! series contains a mixture of genres, but it's essentially pop music, so I think just a pop tag would be okay. I feel like most compilations wouldn't be too broad to give it one label that reflects some overall sound/theme.

I think if an album truly warrants two primary tags, that's okay. How will the genres will be assigned, though? I'm also concerned with how secondary genres will be assigned. My main concern is that, for example, I don't think having one gospel song on an album would warrant a secondary tag. I don't see the Beatles being too big of an issue since none of their albums, I think, would warrant anything other than pop and rock.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 11/09/2009 13:42
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:

As a reminder, if we start with the list of (Gracenote) genres suggested elsewhere in this thread, we currently have:

* Alternative & Punk
* Blues
* Classical
* Country
* Easy Listening
* Electronica/Dance
* Folk
* Gospel & Religious
* Hip Hop/Rap
* Holiday
* Jazz
* Latin
* Metal
* New Age
* Pop
* Reggae
* R&B
* Rock
* Soundtrack
* Unclassifiable
* World

Is on the right track? Any more thoughts from anyone?

albummaster

I think this lacks a "Soul" genre. What is "Holiday" music ?
  • Visit poster's website
joannajewsom

• Posted: 11/09/2009 14:06
  • Post subject:
I think it's lacking a lot. Holiday would be Christmas and Halloween albums, etc. There probably aren't many, if any, holiday albums on this site, so the genre tag seems a bit unnecessary.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 11/09/2009 14:12
  • Post subject:
joannajewsom wrote:
Holiday would be Christmas and Halloween albums, etc.

God I'm dumb. Thanks Smile
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 11/09/2009 14:17
  • Post subject:
A "World" section troubles me a lot. Putting bossa nova, tango and say, desert blues in the same bag sounds to me like saying Western music has all these different cool styles, and the rest is all the same non-Western shit, except, strangely, reggae.

Also Electronica/Dance is really far too general to my liking. I don't think someone listening to Aphex Twin, and trying to get information on what cool elctronic music he could listen too, will gladly have to search through a list of Kylie Minogue stuff.

I would also add Funk somewhere in there. And Disco possibly.
  • Visit poster's website