Think I may stop reviewing

View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 07/19/2012 22:08
  • Post subject: Think I may stop reviewing
Maybe I shouldn't put such a high demand on myself with how much words I can say about an album. That it beats the purpose of things just as much as using genres in a said review. Might have to write about music on spur the moment thoughts instead of calculating everything.

Is it okay to write bad things about albums as well? I'm still having trouble with that. It is like people... make things too simple that way and the ones who can make the most creative insults are regarded as the coolest. Maybe I am in the wrong and have become too soft on everything? Because in the past I would hate something over trivial reasons and want to seem like I progressed. Sometimes I wonder which way I should go around things. Neutral
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/20/2012 00:01
  • Post subject:
Borve Baunehoj wrote:
My BEA user is new (which is why I'm posting here, I guess), but I'm not exactly new here. In fact I've known BEA for almost two years. And thanks to this wonderful website, I've discovered some of my all time favorite albums and widened my musical horizon. So if that's the website's purpose, it does it successfully.

Also, I've lurked around on the forums, as there's sometimes interesting things going on. So none of you users are strangers to me. I know that GARY got banned, RFNAPLES is a troll, Eggman tries to be hardcore while Purple IS hardcore, Jackcw is always drunk, An Outlaw writes endless posts which no one understands, Hairymarx is the no. 1 hipster, Hayden blows the sax, Harkan often post uninteresting lists about obscure Australian music, kidamnesiac claims to hate popular music (despite having Radiohead, Pink Floyd and The Beatles in his top 10) and Norman Bates have the definitive greatest chart on the website (the ones not mentioned here aren't forgotten). I'm not planning to contribute on the forums myself, but the diversity of these personalities makes it an interesting place to check out sometimes.

Laughing
Mother Nature's Son

Denmark

• Posted: 07/20/2012 00:50
  • Post subject:
Sorry, an_outlaw! But I agree with HigherThanTheSun! I have no clue about what you're talking about, but if it has something to do with whether you should quit reviewing or not, I don't think you should quit reviewing. I actually enjoy reading some of your reviews! Shocked
  • Visit poster's website
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 07/20/2012 19:04
  • Post subject:
Don't quit reviewing, and say as much as you want, the more detail the better. I think it helps readers figure out if they want to have a listen or not -- it sure helps me sometimes, much more than the couple word reviews (aka "best track").
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 08/13/2012 22:52
  • Post subject:
paladisiac wrote:
Don't quit reviewing, and say as much as you want, the more detail the better. I think it helps readers figure out if they want to have a listen or not -- it sure helps me sometimes, much more than the couple word reviews (aka "best track").

But I have been thinking again, what is the point of it all?

In the major publications, reviewing is much more about image of the band and the reviewer more than the actual music. And when people try it on their own, more often in this day and age it borders on false intellectualism. There are all these divisions and fences about whats what and many people who become greatly entwined with music at a younger age are going too deep into the reviewing aspect.

It's more and more people don't want to be seen as mindlessly enjoying something and are much more interested in pondering and then cutting down (Oh yeah, that is another thing I shall leave until later) the lastest new band to pop up. Really, what is the point in it all?
Wombi

• Posted: 08/13/2012 23:05
  • Post subject:
For goodness sake: stop assuming other people's intentions and if you enjoy reviewing then review. If you don't then don't. Don't worry about why or how other people do, that will only lead to nothing.
Kiki

• Posted: 08/13/2012 23:12
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
For goodness sake: stop assuming other people's intentions and if you enjoy reviewing then review. If you don't then don't. Don't worry about why or how other people do, that will only lead to nothing.

Then what would a legitimate music review constitute? And more importantly what is the point of it?

There are assumptions which need to be challanged. I'll at least discuss what I want to say before making up my mind.
Wombi

• Posted: 08/13/2012 23:34
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:
Then what would a legitimate music review constitute?

You don't have a blog or anything, do you? You post your reviews on BEA? Not that it would matter since on the internet every dumbass with an opinion has a music blog. So then I'm gonna assume you're not doing it in order to become successful from it? So then you're doing it to give people a better understanding of your feelings on the album you're reviewing rather than just saying "I really love this album." or "this album sucks." and leaving it on that. So what I'm saying is - to me there is no such thing as an 'illegitimate' review (aside from a paid one - but then how would you prove that?) as long as someone is expressing their opinion about something.
Kiki

• Posted: 08/13/2012 23:51
  • Post subject:
That's actually a really good explination. I don't post reviews on a blog at the present.

It wasn't reassuring though as I worry I am losing my ablitiy to give a review on any music. I wanted to create something unique and feel I ended up with something that was as full of bias. If I was to give a bad review then it would cause the person who reads it to assume negative things about the album. They will feel badly about the music. Someone put their heart into making that music and I have ruined it for others just because how I was feeling on one day.