Letters to musicians

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 07/24/2012 20:19
  • Post subject: Letters to musicians
So I have been thinking about sending letters to musicians lately. The ones on my chart mostly and I'll write about positives things and favorite songs etc. These letters would be going to my favorite artists basically.

Now I haven't done my research (or begun at all as a matter of fact) so is there anything I should I expect? Looking at my top 100 chart, do they look like a bunch of people who might reply back? I'm not demanding a response although what chances do I have of getting any?

Being a highly sentimental person who finds second hand antiques fasinating, finds awe when seeing in person a letter which was wrote in a time like the 1800's, sees mountains and thinks how they have been the same when people from past ages saw them, etc, doing this would really mean a lot to me. To know that something I have written has reached these people who wrote the music I listened to would be great. To actually get to hold something that they themselves touched would be so special to me. It means they saw what I had done and then replied. Really. What more could I want from them?

So how should I go about this? Should I go about it? What chances do I have of it reaching them?

Should I send an empty letter with return address or would that come across too demanding?

Would they appreciate any gifts?

Would you ever do anything like this?
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 07/24/2012 20:50
  • Post subject:
http://boingboing.net/2010/03/10/little...etter.html
  • Visit poster's website
musicmanstu

United States

• Posted: 07/24/2012 20:58
  • Post subject:
It depends on the artist/person you are contacting. I will say this...You may end up being really disappointed if one of your favorite artists doesn't take the time to respond. That would be a letdown. Remember, these people have seen all sorts of behavior from their fans, and it all depends on their mood what their response will be. I've been very lucky...my favorite band Judas Priest was very cool to me when I met them backstage in Dallas. But give it a shot...why not.
  • Visit poster's website
CellarDoor
Shoe-Punk Loner

France

• Posted: 07/24/2012 21:12
  • Post subject:
Ian Curtis is dead. DEAD !

• Visit poster's website
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 07/24/2012 21:26
  • Post subject:
as far as i can remember, i've only tried once to contact an artist, and my email was promptly replied to. That was Greg Gillis of Girl Talk. Good luck seeing a reply from paul mccartney. AKA, keep expectations realistic!
  • Visit poster's website
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 07/24/2012 21:30
  • Post subject:
You're a Cribs fan I do believe,Ryan Jarman replies to an awful lot of tweets,you'll probably have success doing it that way.I have no idea about the letters part though.
  • Visit poster's website
musicmanstu

United States

• Posted: 07/24/2012 22:11
  • Post subject:
paladisiac wrote:
as far as i can remember, i've only tried once to contact an artist, and my email was promptly replied to. That was Greg Gillis of Girl Talk. Good luck seeing a reply from paul mccartney. AKA, keep expectations realistic!
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 07/24/2012 22:22
  • Post subject:
Great responses so far Smile The idea is becomming more and more tempting. I don' think any of them are on a Paul McCartney level but I suppose it is what they feeling at the time they are getting the letter and how they felt about the content.

Which brings me onto... would there be any do's and don't's to this? Anything we haven't thought of so far?
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 07/24/2012 22:26
  • Post subject:
In most cases, unless you are dealing with an asshole, the musicians I know with any kind of fame at all just want to be treated like everyone else. I would suggest that if you do write, don't ask for anything in return. Don't ask for a reply, or a picture, or an autograph. And don't sound desperate...don't gush all over them. Gushing is for 12 year old girls with crushes on anyone in skinny jeans who looks at the camera.

If you DO get a response from someone having done it that way, it will likely be more out of appreciation that you took the time to say, "hey...your music moves me" rather than "you rock...send me your guitar and let me do you on the bus. We need to hang when you come to my town!".

But really...be respectful and low key, and don't ask for anything in return.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 07/24/2012 22:29
  • Post subject:
Here's an example of a telegram I wrote to Billy Joe Armstrong:

Quote:

Dear BJA [STOP]
PLEASE STOP [STOP]
Sincerely Jhereko[STOP]

Telegram jokes still funny, since 1839