Moderation...

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
bc1991

• Posted: 04/05/2009 05:53
  • Post subject: Moderation...
Hi albummaster, I was wondering about some moderation on people posts and comments on this site. I know there's the + and - on the charts, but I think there are comments that should be automatically deleted given their nature. Here are some that should be deleted inmediatly in my opinion:

-Racist
-Sexist
-Homophobic
-Insults, harass or personal attacks to other members

There had been some issues with one of the members on the site (Harvos) who recently did that with me on my chart, and I have seen he has done the same thing with other members too.

Thank you for your time.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 04/05/2009 12:54
  • Post subject:
I agree with you, I don't like seeing this sort of thing either as it puts people off from contributing as well as creating the impression that this website shares those types of views. If you could let me know which comments you are referring to, I will delete them (PM me if you want.)

I don't want one person (Harvos or anybody else) having the capability to spoil the site for everyone else; people are not welcome here if they are going to conduct themselves like that.

I apologise on Harvos' behalf and if he carries on behaving like that, he will be banned from the site.

albummaster
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 04/05/2009 14:51
  • Post subject:
That sounds good to me!
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Charicature

United States

• Posted: 04/06/2009 20:44
  • Post subject:
Reporting these to albummaster usually gets a good result in a fairly short time RF. I know it wasn't very long (matter of an hour or so) before he removed a comment someone left on my chart that was a personal attack rather than a chart comment.
Elston

Canada

• Posted: 04/06/2009 21:34
  • Post subject:
I would prefer to stick to the + or - and let people say whatever they please. In the pursuit of inclusiveness we inadvertently turn those away who have unpopular opinions. It may sound ridiculous but if someone says something offensive or is harassing someone, I think it's more productive to tell them you're offended and to please cease the comments than to banish them from further postings.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 04/06/2009 22:26
  • Post subject:
+- is only being used on album, bands and chart comments. It could be used on forum comments too.

Currently only the administrator theoretically can delete comments that fail to meet some unwritten standard. That is OK with me for the common areas like forums and albums, bands and recognized charts.

I still believe that the member should have a greater editorial right for their own page/chart. Currently they can only use the +- thing or opt out completely from ratings and comments. The member has the right to change his chart at will which can cause ratings and comments to be inappropriate. They should also have the right to ban offensive members from their own site. The banned member can be offensive on somebody else’s site if they choose.

We should warn an offender first and we should ask them to stop. Unfortunately just saying NO doesn't always work.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
bc1991

• Posted: 04/07/2009 02:16
  • Post subject:
Elston wrote:
I would prefer to stick to the + or - and let people say whatever they please. In the pursuit of inclusiveness we inadvertently turn those away who have unpopular opinions. It may sound ridiculous but if someone says something offensive or is harassing someone, I think it's more productive to tell them you're offended and to please cease the comments than to banish them from further postings.

I'm against censorship, but I'm also against anarchism. There always have to be a little order on every place I think. My freedom ends where your rights begin.

The problem with the + or - is that you have to wait to at least two more people to read the insult or offense, and they will click only on the - if they want to, because they are not obligated to do that. You still have to wait even though you don't want anyone else to read the offense.

You also have to consider that there are a lot of young people who are still minor ages.

I think that one of the main purposes of the site is for everybody have fun. Life is not easy and if I don't let anyone to insult me in any single way I don't see why I should let anyone insult me in here.

I don't think I'm limiting freedom of speech, so let me be clear by giving you an example:

Person A says: I like rock music
Person B says: Rock music is stupid

Person B is attacking Person A's opinion but not the person, and it is a totally valid one, and now:

Person A says: I like rock music
Person B says: You are stupid

Person B is insulting Person A, and that is offensive. It crosses the line.

The ban of the user I think will only be necessary if he has been given some kind of warning on the subject, but neverthless he keeps insulting, harassing, etc. then the consecuences would be inevitable.

You can still post whatever you want, only with respect and common sense.

At least those are my thoughts.
  • Visit poster's website
bc1991

• Posted: 04/07/2009 02:26
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
+- is only being used on album, bands and chart comments. It could be used on forum comments too.

Currently only the administrator theoretically can delete comments that fail to meet some unwritten standard. That is OK with me for the common areas like forums and albums, bands and recognized charts.

I still believe that the member should have a greater editorial right for their own page/chart. Currently they can only use the +- thing or opt out completely from ratings and comments. The member has the right to change his chart at will which can cause ratings and comments to be inappropriate. They should also have the right to ban offensive members from their own site. The banned member can be offensive on somebody else’s site if they choose.

We should warn an offender first and we should ask them to stop. Unfortunately just saying NO doesn't always work.

While I partially agree with you, I find I big issue here. The owner of the chart could take advantage of that power, and could erase all the bad ratings and bad comments about their lists, and only allowing perfect ratings, in order to make his list to look perfect, and that would be unfair.
What I totally agree is to have the control to led others to not rate or comment at your chart at all. So you can led everyone or noone comment and rate.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 04/07/2009 03:23
  • Post subject:
Any member already has the power to eliminate all comments and ratings. All they have to do is delete their chart and start again. But that is major surgery.

I could support allowing the ban of a member from a personal site for all future comments only. Previously posted comments could then be removed by the moderator/administrator for cause.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Elston

Canada

• Posted: 04/07/2009 21:13
  • Post subject:
I think you summed it up quite well bc. I don't think users should be able to personally attack others either. What I want is for users to have the freedom to express their opinions freely and I don't think that what you proposed would get in the way of that.
  • Visit poster's website