Your First Time.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 08/20/2012 21:14
  • Post subject:
Necharsian wrote:
See I don't really think like that... I don't remember where I was when I realized I loved Kamelot or B&S. I don't really hold onto my first listens, but rather I get excited about the next listen. I mean do you like Funeral less now that you've heard it more than once?

I've had some crazy experiences listening to Hospice or Ultima Thumee or Selected Ambient Works (not necessarily first listen but whatevs). The next listen is as mysterious to me as the first. Who knows how I'm going to feel? Or what affect its going to have on me.

So I guess the "discovery" part of music doesn't really mean as much to me. It's the next one that I'm excited for more.

Ok. We just have different brains Razz

And I like Funeral more and more each listen. Smile

And I don't really know if this thread is really about 'albums' but more of music as an experience, as a general, not just the small pieces of it.
  • Visit poster's website
pearljammer13
Young Pilgrim

United States

• Posted: 08/21/2012 01:09
  • Post subject:
I absolutely love when I listen to an album for the first time and it blows me away. I get super excited when I can tell it's going to be an album I listen to and cherish forever. It's rare to know that on first listen, but usually by the 4th or 5th time I have a pretty clear idea how I feel. It truly is an amazing feeling when music blows you away like that.

For example I still remember the first time I listened to Chutes Too Narrow by The Shins, and at the end of each song I just kept saying "wow, that was awesome". By the end of the first listen I was astounded at how much I enjoyed it and immediately wanted to listen again and buy the rest of their albums. It's such a great event for a music lover when you find a gem that you can tell will be a part of your life forever. I guess that sounds kind of weird, but if anyone would understand that it's bea members.
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 08/21/2012 01:39
  • Post subject:
I've been lucky to get blown away on first listen a few times these past few years, most memorable of which include Since I Left You and My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy; the first time I Since I Left You, I had no idea what to expect-didn't even know what genre it was-and I was so amazed half-way through the title track I sat down to listen to the rest of the album with no distraction; first time I heard MBDTF, I wasn't a fan of Kanye but the album fit the college experience so well that all of my friends (disparate music tastes) all told each other to buy it immediately the day it came out even though we had all already bought it.

Others recent ones include: Dopesmoker, This Is Happening, Kindred, Milk Eyed Mender

Black Saint and the Sinner Lady and You Forgot It In People got me quickly, but not first listen

my very first time was probably Rage Against the Machine or In Utero
Polythene Pam

• Posted: 08/21/2012 01:58
  • Post subject:
Recently, Down Colourful Hill, Blueberry Boat and every time I listen to Piper At The Gates Of Dawn.
Xavygravy

• Posted: 08/21/2012 05:44
  • Post subject:
I haven't quite reached that stage yet; there are plenty of potentially fantastic albums I've yet to hear.

~13% of the albums I've heard I'd call 'mindblowing', and whilst that figure will diminish over time (less and less really great releases remaining), it's still quite a lot.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 08/21/2012 14:22
  • Post subject:
Robert Anton Wilson wrote:
I can't recommend you any music that will blow you away because that is too personal but I can reassure you that that feeling can come back. Not often but it does every once in a while.

The first time it happened to me was the first time I listened to "A Night at the Opera" because I already knew all of the Queen hits by then but had never experienced them as an album. Also, If you do not count the Billy Joel albums, that was only the third album I bought with my own money. That blown-away feeling did not come back again until the 90's when new bands broke unto the scene such as Pearl Jam, The Tragically Hip and Stone Temple Pilots all at once (I was slow on the uptake of Nirvana because they were too hip back then). What great time that was. The next time came at the end of the 90s with Aenima by Tool. Then it happened recently again when I discovered Muse and the Diablo Swing Orchestra through BEA.

Given the number of albums I have listened to and how much time I have been spending listening to music for decades now, this is really not a lot. But when it happens, it is really good. Nearly as good as sex.

It also often happens in concert when a song you think you know just sounds so much more impressive live. I I was blown away when Peter Gabriel played the song Secret World in the tour of the same name or when I saw Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young perform Almost Cut My Hair. Two songs I find only slightly below average when listening to at home but that just blew me away in person.

Keep hope, it happens again. But you cannot force it or even predict when it will happen. To me it mostly happened when I did not expect it.

What about Tori? Crying or Very sad
  • Visit poster's website