Vegetarian

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
revolver94
professional dilettante

United States

• Posted: 08/20/2012 15:16
  • Post subject: Vegetarian
Hi BEA. I eat meat, but have long desired to be a vegetarian. My parents forbid me from doing it at home, but I plan to start when I'm in college, which I leave for on Thursday. Do any of you have tips?

Last.fm
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 08/20/2012 15:35
  • Post subject:
Not about vegetarianism,here's some tips for college(which you will love)

Never reject free food.
Go to class(I don't live by this and have 7 repeats this summer,which if I fail will mean I'm out of college).
In terms of study,small and frequent,not cram and rarely.
Talk to as many people as possible,no matter how much you dislike them if they invite you over for drinks .chances are they're living with other people who could be cool.
Call home frequently,it's nice to hear from your family and they'll be delighted to hear from you.
George foreman grill is an essential piece of equipment for all students.
If you have a few spare hours during the day sleep or study.
Don't go crazy,there's nothing more uncool than people going crazy the first time they're away from home,have fun but nothing to get you arrested or shit.
If you're going to take drugs or drink too much do it with friends and never on your own.
Budget your money.
Don't join any cults.
Organise parties with your class,the closer you are to your class the better it is for sharing notes,study groups,etc.
Talk to your lecturers if you're struggling.
Enjoy it,it goes by really quick.

I haven't lived by any of these,but this year I will.

Also what are you doing in college?
  • Visit poster's website
Polythene Pam

• Posted: 08/20/2012 15:55
  • Post subject:
You don't win friends with salad...

Learn to dumpster dive (I didn't pay, buy food for four years while at university. God bless you countdown (local supermarket)

Be prepared for the disillusioned and jaded person you are set to become in 3 years.

Pay your rent, or risk ruining relationships with your friends.

Ask for care packages.

Do every drug at least once.

Last edited by Polythene Pam on 08/20/2012 16:11; edited 1 time in total
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 08/20/2012 15:59
  • Post subject:
Vegetables and fruit are great but so is a little fish and lean meat. Eat a balanced diet. Check out the DASH diet for every day use (not just for dieting).
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 08/20/2012 16:06
  • Post subject:
Polythene Pam wrote:

Learn to dumpster dive (I didn't pay buy food for four years while at university. God bless you countdown (local supermarket)

Do every drug at least once.

The first part is kinda impressive Laughing

The second part is wrong. Don't do drugs kids. Shame on you Unless it's weed or lsd. Then it's ok.

And I hope you have fun at college Smile, DLGGLD's points were wise. I'd listen to those.

And don't become a vegetarian. It's not healthy, honestly. If you want to stray from meat, at least keep fish in your diet.
Saoirse

• Posted: 08/20/2012 16:22
  • Post subject:
Yes, enjoy your time at the university, the only advice I would give is to make sure you do all your work on time but not overstress yourself so you can make it through the four years of school. Unlike a certain someone you don't want to be going back to school in your mid-20s while also having to work fulltime Whistle But yes, experiment with everything, and if that's with being a vegetarian then by all means go for it!

• Posted: 08/20/2012 16:43
  • Post subject:
This isn't about a good vegetarian diet, but a philosophical and ethical argument for it: Watch it people, it's most engaging.

Link

But if you ask me, don't become a vegetarian when you're in college; If you want to become a vegetarian, remember that the first years are very hard and you have to be on your own (economically) and you will have to experience with different diets 'cause there's no ready-made lists of vegetarian stuff for you. It's very subjective. So you should not start it until you've done with college and that's the time you will have an established life. If you do become a vegetarian in college sure you will see a decline in your mental powers and that's not good 'cause everyone in the first years of their college life think that a day is about 5 or 6 hours and you really wouldn't find the time to study so you have to use your time wisely. Everything that DLGGLD said is right. And please don't do drugs (even weed) if you care for your health. I promise you that drugs do more harm than help (if any).
revolver94
professional dilettante

United States

• Posted: 08/20/2012 20:00
  • Post subject:
Woah, a lot more feedback than I thought! Thanks for all if the input, everyone, I definitely have a lot to think about. I was planning on starting out as a pescetarian so the transition would be less harsh.

DLGGLD wrote:
Also what are you doing in college?

I'm not sure about a major yet, but I think neuroscience. I know I want to do premedicine, though, and currently plan on being an ER Doctor, but sometimes I'm not sure, I'm nervous a job like that would destroy the other aspects of my life.

Last.fm
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 08/20/2012 22:25
  • Post subject:
I only eat meat once or twice a month when I eat out. as a vegetarian you actually have to eat veggies and not just go for starches and fruit. beans (garbanzos, black, pinto) are cheap, nutritionally dense, and fill you up for relatively few calories; choose them over wheat products or potatoes. stay away from soy (doesn't fill you up) and go for milk, cottage cheese, and eggs for your complete proteins. find low calorie sauces and dressings to put on your vegetables, like mustard, salsa/hot sauce, etc. eat a diversity of vegetables and fruits. choose fruits and veggies over starches e.g. instead of eggs and toast have eggs and bananas. if you're really interested pm me and I'll send you my diet

being a vegetarian, if done well, can help you not gain the freshman 15, which is not a myth; you will consume so many liquid calories
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 08/20/2012 22:33
  • Post subject:
My niece decided she wanted to be a vegetarian at age 14 before realizing there wasn't a single vegetable she liked. She spent two months eating only cheese pizza until I'd had enough and starved her into choosing between fish and veggies. She chose fish.

Anyway, being a vegetarian is nice and all but more expensive than not being one, so unless you're well funded you may want to postpone it until after college. You'll also run the risk of malnutrition which does not help the learning process. If you think you can overcome those then by all means go for it.

And don't do drugs. It's not as cool as it appears.
  • Visit poster's website