Best band of the 2000s?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Michaelo16

Australia

• Posted: 11/02/2012 00:37
  • Post subject: Re: Evanescence
pearljammer13 wrote:
Success/records sold is not really relevant to quality of music. But obviously you can like whatever you please. I remember liking Bring Me To Life the first few times I heard it, just got stale quick for me.

yeah I know I'm just saying they're not an unheard of or I guess wildcard choice (maybe :/)
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 11/02/2012 00:38
Michaelo16 wrote:
yeah I know I'm just saying they're not an unheard of or I guess wildcard choice (maybe :/)

No. Just a really bad one.
purple

• Posted: 11/02/2012 01:30
  • Post subject:
BTW, I fully support the results of metacritic's aggregate analysis (that I last posted). Back on page 6 of this thread I mentioned that Spoon was the most consistent band of the decade; they might not have a game-changing masterwork, but they have never released a bad album IMO since Series Of Sneaks (I mean, Series Of Sneaks is great, under-appreciated, and essential '90s indie album). I will say that they have utilized the studio greater than any traditional rock band in the '00s, and they actually can make those awesome studio sounds (e.g. Paper Tiger, The Ghost Of You Lingers) on stage. Spoon makes me proud to be a San Antonian-Austinite, along with 13th Floor Elevators and Butthole Surfers.
strawberryfields

• Posted: 11/02/2012 02:58
  • Post subject:
Radiohead, coldplay, greenday
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 11/02/2012 03:40
  • Post subject:
strawberryfields wrote:
Radiohead, coldplay, greenday

Radiohead have been great, as have Coldplay... but Green Day's '90s work far overshadow by their '00s works. Even though I make fun of Jhereko all the time, the first half of Coldplay's albums were bordering on great.
Michaelo16

Australia

• Posted: 11/02/2012 08:13
lethalnezzle wrote:
No. Just a really bad one.

ouch haha
I like them
  • Visit poster's website
neon32

Japan

• Posted: 11/02/2012 15:55
  • Post subject:
The roots....forget sales...who was more political, inovating, and just dam good....maybe radiohead thats it...i go with the roots anyday
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 11/02/2012 15:58
  • Post subject:
neon32 wrote:
The roots....forget sales...who was more political, inovating, and just dam good....maybe radiohead thats it...i go with the roots anyday

I love The Roots, but they're not even Top 20 hip-hop artists of the decade. The only people who find The Roots "exciting" or "innovative" are middle aged people who don't understand hip-hop. Don't get me wrong, they're cool. They make some brilliant music. They're cool, and sometimes I'm really in the mood for them and nobody else. The Tipping Point and Phrenology were great, but best band of the 2000s? Just no.
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 11/03/2012 02:08
  • Post subject:
neon32 wrote:

I like The Roots a lot... I don't know if I qualify as middle aged, but I'd like to think I have some understanding of hip-hop. They are brilliant... I disagree with Lethalnezzle's assessment of The Root's fans, but I'd agree with his statement that they're not quite top of the 2000s. They are one of the 'must-haves' of the 2000s, but not #1.
Happymeal

• Posted: 11/03/2012 02:12
  • Post subject:
Modest Mouse is my personal favorite band of the 00's. Of course, after that, I don't really know. There are not many bands that I have been following in the 00's that I consistently like everything they have released. My second favorite band could possibly be The Strokes or Bowling for Soup. The strokes have had some brilliant stuff released, but their 2006 album isn't good and Is this it is their only "almost perfect" or "close to masterful" album. In Bowling for Soup's case, I have consistently liked what they have released(with a few exceptions song/track wise), but they haven't had anything that has got me to jump head over heels.