I am right though

lol
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/02/2012 01:21
  • Post subject:
lightmyway wrote:

4. For Phish, definitely get a live album. I'm not really a fan but I think anyone would agree that their live stuff is more essential than their studio work (though that probably goes without saying for any jam band). I never bought an album by them but I made a cassette double-copy of their album A Live One a long time ago. Lost it at some point but it was good.

Agreed. My favorite is the Live Phish Volume 4 of their live stuff.

As far as their best studio album goes - Farmhouse by far. It is their least jam bandish album and is amazing music, imo.

After listening to those two albums, if you still don't like Phish, well you probably will never like them Smile.
  • Visit poster's website
lightmyway
Swimming into view

United States

• Posted: 09/02/2012 02:55
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Agreed. My favorite is the Live Phish Volume 4 of their live stuff.

As far as their best studio album goes - Farmhouse by far. It is their least jam bandish album and is amazing music, imo.

After listening to those two albums, if you still don't like Phish, well you probably will never like them Smile.

Hmm, maybe I should check those out!

Also in response to Hayden's list which I somehow missed before:

1. I haven't heard most of Rancid's albums but their best that I've heard is And Out Come the Wolves. One of my favorite punk rock albums. They have a Clash-like sound.
2. Black Sunday is my favorite Cypress Hill album, that was where they were at their peak, I think. Beats are cool and the lyrics are sharp.
3. I remember The Church but I don't think I ever had an album by them. Starfish is the one with Under the Milky Way on it, that was a good song.
4. Midnight Oil is an awesome band, one of the first bands I was ever obsessed with. Blue Sky Mining and Diesel & Dust are tied for my favorite album by them.
5. Pet Shop Boys, you can't go wrong with any of their albums from Please up through Very. They're a really consistent band. Behaviour might barely be my favorite but it's so hard to pick.
  • Visit poster's website
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 09/02/2012 05:18
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Aight. Never heard anything by these guys. Someone give me decent recommendations to start with, (or none if they all suck).

Girl Talk
- nothing special for me. All becomes a mish-mash after a while.
Church - As in the Aussie band? Go for Priest=Aura and Magician Among The Spirits; both are critically acclaimed and have more depth. However Starfish is still their greatest IMO.
The Killing Joke - band I just went full steam ahead into and found their less industrial albums were better. Brighter Than A Thousand Suns is my pick. Their 2012 offering is good too.
Midnight Oil - Diesel and Dust is always said to be their best but 10-1 is full of their singles and a really good album. Garrett's voice can get old quickly though.
The Birthday Party - Junkyard and Prayers On Fire are good but their album as Boys Next Door is more post-punk and is one of my favourites.

Last edited by videoheadcleaner on 09/02/2012 05:21; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 09/02/2012 05:20
  • Post subject: Re: 16 Artists
an_outlaw wrote:
For everything I have found so far there are still artists I have heard not one single album recorded. The purpose of this thread is to post a some of these artists and see what people have to say. It is a random bunch of artists although all them have at least one album that is highly acclaimed or I have seen been placed high. Each share the fact I haven't heard a single albun from them. I'll post 16 Smile Here you go:

James - I have only heard Laid and this might be the best to start with.
Goldfrapp - Seventh Tree is their peak IMO and the singles from the other albums are good to. Start with Felt Mountain and go from there.
Fugazi - Repeater or 13 Songs. Only two I really liked. They were a huge influence on Something For Kate.
Sade - Love Deluxe and their newer album are good.
  • Visit poster's website
weedygonsalez

• Posted: 09/02/2012 10:56
  • Post subject: Re: 16 Artists
an_outlaw wrote:

Okkervil River
Boris

Don't Fall in Love With Everyone You See is my favorite for Okkervil, though I know plenty who prefer The Stage Names. They're both essential and equally great gateways. Come to think of it, they don't really have any weak albums, so starting wherever is also an option.

Also, depends what side of Boris you want. Flood is my favorite drone work, and Akuma No Uta is my favorite sludge. Feedbacker and Heavy Rocks (the older one, not the new one) are runners up, respectively. Another band with no bad albums, though some are definitely more difficult than others.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 09/02/2012 13:54
  • Post subject:
harkan wrote:

Girl Talk
- nothing special for me. All becomes a mish-mash after a while.
Church - As in the Aussie band? Go for Priest=Aura and Magician Among The Spirits; both are critically acclaimed and have more depth. However Starfish is still their greatest IMO.
The Killing Joke - band I just went full steam ahead into and found their less industrial albums were better. Brighter Than A Thousand Suns is my pick. Their 2012 offering is good too.
Midnight Oil - Diesel and Dust is always said to be their best but 10-1 is full of their singles and a really good album. Garrett's voice can get old quickly though.
The Birthday Party - Junkyard and Prayers On Fire are good but their album as Boys Next Door is more post-punk and is one of my favourites.

Ok. I wasn't sure if Girl Talk was Dj Shadow or Avalanches quality. I might pass on them.

Thanks for the other recommendations though Smile
  • Visit poster's website