Music made to change the world

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
gussteivi

Sweden

• Posted: 09/02/2012 20:48
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
Either I am mistaken, or this is misplaced irony.

Misplaced seems a bit harsh.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 09/02/2012 20:50
  • Post subject:
gussteivi wrote:
Misplaced seems a bit harsh.

Sorry. Wasn't sure.
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 09/02/2012 20:51
  • Post subject: Re: Music made to change the world
Norman Bates wrote:
It all depends on what you call "world". It changed my life for the better, that I can tell. It IS a very hard world, and I am glad I love music so much that the world seems a little less sad everytime I put on a good record.

Yes, as I said in the previous post, I might have come across as if I was leaning towards the political side of things.

For example, a random band releases a song that touches one persons life. It makes them more happy and they do something out of kindness for someone. This touches that person making them more happy and maybe doing something else too and changing the outcome of there day. So, if only on a micro scale, this random band has changed the world for the better. Maybe it doesn't have to be an act of kindness but instead inspires them to change a shelf or mend the shed. The work of that day may last another 50-100 years. Changed the world again.

Here is where the politics begin to creep in. If you go from some average Joe/Joleen band and up the scale to of a whole scene or The Beatles level fame, do little changes like above become much bigger changes as they ricochet off the higher levels of power, making cities attitudes and whole countries different as well as creating a whole different world than if say Bob Bill and the Red Wellies never formed.

So I guess one of the points of the thread was asking even at it's most strongest music is music able to do such things or am I exaggerating

Last edited by Kiki on 09/02/2012 20:55; edited 1 time in total
Kiki

• Posted: 09/02/2012 20:53
  • Post subject:
thejoj96 wrote:
It changed my world Smile

Testify testify Smile Bring forth inspiration in heaps of rainbow candy love Very Happy

• Posted: 09/03/2012 13:45
an_outlaw wrote:

Do you believe music can change the world?

Music per se cannot change the world in the sense that it cannot change the course of history (and it even should not try), but it can certainly contribute to society and civil institutions esp. through its popular mechanisms; particularly producers of music, i.e. musicians, can do a lot of help by adopting a wise social figure in order to encourage the culture of humanitarian lifestyle.
Kiki

• Posted: 09/03/2012 14:00
tekin wrote:
Music per se cannot change the world in the sense that it cannot change the course of history (and it even should not try), but it can certainly contribute to society and civil institutions esp. through its popular mechanisms; particularly producers of music, i.e. musicians, can do a lot of help by adopting a wise social figure in order to encourage the culture of humanitarian lifestyle.

Is the paragraph above not an example of changing history? If someone choose to carry on their life without recording music they will not change anything through the medium. But through the fact they did someone whom they never met (or never would have) might hear their voice someway or another and influence something in their life. 10 years later the events of their life would have been radically altered than if that artist had not have recorded.

• Posted: 09/03/2012 14:16
an_outlaw wrote:
Is the paragraph above not an example of changing history? If someone choose to carry on their life without recording music they will not change anything through the medium. But through the fact they did someone whom they never met (or never would have) might hear their voice someway or another and influence something in their life. 10 years later the events of their life would have been radically altered than if that artist had not have recorded.

Yeah, but that's about just one person (not history) and you will not have a method to show how the music itself has altered that life so drastically; I mean you can feel it and believe that someone's music has changed your life but to show that it actually has done that would be something essentially different. And you will not probably be able to show that the sum of all those effects on every individual means that much for the world; there are much more variables than constants in the equation therefore there's no hope for its resolution.
Mirek

Poland

• Posted: 09/03/2012 14:31
  • Post subject:
Music can only change people. However, inspired by different things people can change the world, and they do. Music is just one of the inspirations for action.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 09/03/2012 14:32
  • Post subject:
Mirek wrote:
Music can only change people. However, inspired by different things people can change the world, and they do. Music is just one of the inspirations for action.

^This. I can't add more.
Kiki

• Posted: 09/03/2012 14:38
tekin wrote:
Yeah, but that's about just one person (not history) and you will not have a method to show how the music itself has altered that life so drastically; I mean you can feel it and believe that someone's music has changed your life but to show that it actually has done that would be something essentially different. And you will not probably be able to show that the sum of all those effects on every individual means that much for the world; there are much more variables than constants in the equation therefore there's no hope for its resolution.

I suppose it is down to what each of us is calling history. I'm probably thinking of much smaller changes.

I think the sum of all those effects on every individual could make a massive difference. If all the worlds a stage then the vast majority of actors have changed. Put in one of those bigger variables and people will behave differentely in their own little ways. Ok, the culmination of these diferences may not change the outcome of the event significantly but the fact is there is a chance it could.

Another point would be if one was to believe people would behave the same way no matter what music they had been exposed to. If you don't believe it altered the way they think or behave just a little, I think it will be very difficult to be able to agree with what I am saying.