A Good Music Fan

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 09/05/2012 21:43
  • Post subject: A Good Music Fan
Most users here know a lot about music. Most can put up varied lists the moment they arrive and the ones which stick around soak up many new albums and artists. So if your posting here chances are you are not stuck to one genre or a handful of artists. You want to hear a lot basically.

Yet every so often I will see people scorn another for their "bad taste" in music. Usually they are people who like bands like My Chemical Romance, Linkin Park, Fall Out Boy, Black Veil Brides etc that get targeted. Even on here I have seen people say they have marked down charts because a Nickelback album or two appeared in it. It's not just heavy guitar bands that get attacked. Artists like Lady Gaga, Katie Perry, Beyonce get people labeled as bad listeners or people with bad tastes. So it's all across the board really.

Which has me wondering. What makes a good music fan? What makes someone a better listener than the people who like all the so called "mainstream" stuff.

Give me all the clichés of the good music listener Smile All the clichés of the Mr and Mrs Alternative. What sets them apart from the crowds and makes them the enlightened soul they are.

• Posted: 09/05/2012 22:11
  • Post subject:
I prefer not to offer clichés. Just my very own, individual viewpoint. I like when people are well-researched and have music tastes similar to my own. The artists you listed I have no connection with. So when those artists are featured on other people's charts, they usually don't reflect my personal music tastes, so I'd more than likely find them a poor resource. I don't ever rate them negatively for it. I don't think it's a bad thing for them to like things different from me. Their chart is simply not my preferred destination.

Basically, I can't bring myself to judge how "good" someone's chart is or how "good" their general music tastes are based on how similar they are to me. I don't see things that way. So I only give out 100s if I find some personal value in the chart. Pretty much like hitting a "like" button.
Kiki

• Posted: 09/05/2012 22:24
  • Post subject:
Very good response The Poe Smile It does certainlly explain where you are going and why. It is a good thing to hear.

I should proably explain the cliché part a bit more. It doesn't necessarily have to be something you agree with. I'm looking for a few streotypes and views of how people see well listened people. How do they see them selves. Covering all quaters and even looking for the internet's and socicites viewpoints, even the generalizations.
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 09/05/2012 22:34
  • Post subject:
A good music fan is often one who enjoys a large variety of music (genres, styles, periods), who often owns a large collection (often eclectic), who listens to music frequently and who has a good familiarity with artists and their bios. Often the good music fan is also a musician who enjoys live music.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 09/05/2012 22:54
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:
Very good response The Poe Smile It does certainlly explain where you are going and why. It is a good thing to hear.

I should proably explain the cliché part a bit more. It doesn't necessarily have to be something you agree with. I'm looking for a few streotypes and views of how people see well listened people. How do they see them selves. Covering all quaters and even looking for the internet's and socicites viewpoints, even the generalizations.

Glad you liked my response. I'm not exactly sure what you meant on the second paragraph, or maybe I do and I don't know it. Are you asking for all sides of musical-taste-critique, or something like that? Or is it more a question of what makes the prototype image of a person of well-received taste?

I suppose an answer would normally include the two things I said, being research and relate-ability. Also wide variety of styles like Naples said. Perhaps enjoys live shows and plays music themselves, like Naples said. This is something I don't agree with: but understanding the "importance" of the music, or its "influence" on modern music or the evolution of music. Many people value that for some reason. I personally put more value into one's worldly research on music, where they may find music albums that have had zero influence on western music but have many interestingly unique qualities. I'm not sure if that is valued by most people, though.
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 09/06/2012 03:23
  • Post subject:
A good music fan = someone who listens to music because they like it.

DONE.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 09/06/2012 03:55
  • Post subject:
Necharsian wrote:

DONE.

Ayup!
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Xavygravy

• Posted: 09/06/2012 07:00
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
A good music fan is often one who enjoys a large variety of music (genres, styles, periods), who often owns a large collection (often eclectic), who listens to music frequently and who has a good familiarity with artists and their bios. Often the good music fan is also a musician who enjoys live music.

I'd tend to lean towards this definition.

We're talking about a music fan here. There's a difference between that and simply enjoying music. I think it's fair to say that basically everyone enjoys music on some level.

However, I don't believe you can be a fan of music, i.e. the world of music as a whole, if you're only experience of it is a small (yet popular) and completely unoriginal subset of music as a whole (mainstream music).

Basically, I'm discriminating between liking music (as in, I like some music) and liking/respecting/appreciating music as an entity/art-form. With this distinction in mind: the more varied your tastes, the more in-depth your musical knowledge (includes how well you know each piece of music) and the more time you devote towards it (especially supporting live performances), the 'more better' (excuse the grammar) you are of a music fan.
  • Visit poster's website
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 09/06/2012 08:03
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:

Everything in this is good except I don't think you have to play an instrument to be a good music fan. It is a good add-on but not essential.

Also think Necharsian hit the nail on the head.
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 09/06/2012 14:54
  • Post subject:
Necharsian wrote:

DONE.

Applause

• Visit poster's website