When music artists say/do terrible things.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 09/13/2012 20:23
  • Post subject: When music artists say/do terrible things.
I'm not to going to name any artists or ramble on as usual. Will be speaking fairly little in this post as I am not in the mood for making humorous paragraphs.

How do you feel when music artists you like do or say terrible things? Has an artists behaviour affected how you view the songs or changed the way you see them? Have you even been put off by an artist even before you took the chance to listen to them?

I will definitely say more of my views on the topic as we progress but the advise to "never have heroes" is chiming like a church bell right now.
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 09/13/2012 20:27
  • Post subject:
I want to be as objective as possible, separating the artist's music and behaviour from each other. I hated it as a kid when my mother couldn't stand who Mick Jagger was, so judged the Stones' music accordingly. However, I find myself doing some of this today... Can't say I listen to Megadeath the same way after Dave Mustaine's recent comments...
  • Visit poster's website
Borve Baunehoj

• Posted: 09/13/2012 20:39
  • Post subject:
Not really. I'm not exaclty proud that I like Burzum as much as I do considering the man behind, but wouldn't I be cheating myself if I refused to listen to good music because an insane person made it?
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 09/13/2012 20:43
  • Post subject:
i try not to let anything outside of the music affect how i listen to music.

however, if there are artists i'm thinking of trying and they say or do something i don't agree with, then that will turn me off. The prime example here is metallica -- when they sued the artists i swore to boycott them for a while. (After 10 years, i dropped that boycott a couple years ago.)

for artists that i really like, it'd take something extreme (probably music related) for me not to listen to them anymore. For example, if it was proven that courtney love had something directly to do with kurt cobain's demise, then i'd stop listening to her (hole) stuff entirely.

The only other thing i can think of is if a friend of mine is an extreme fanatic for an artist to where -everything- that artist does is great and no fault can be found with that artists whatsoever. i find this crazed irrationality a bit annoying and a turn off of whatever the artist is. (No artist is perfect.) This has only happened a couple times in the last 20+ years (with billy idol and van halen).

But for the most part, i only care about the music. i roll SCUBA -- a self-contained under-music bangin' apparatus.
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/13/2012 20:52
  • Post subject:
Depends how awful the thign they did is.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 09/13/2012 21:00
  • Post subject:
Oh hi,
My name is Varg,
I am a bard,
Who kills all my best friends,
I'm from Norway,
And by the way,
My band Burzum is so baos,
So get it now,
DIE DIE DIE!!!!
  • Visit poster's website
thejoj96

• Posted: 09/13/2012 21:01
  • Post subject:
This video is a good explanation of this subject:

Link
Kiki

• Posted: 09/13/2012 22:11
  • Post subject:
[quote="thejoj96"]This video is a good explanation of this subject:

Link
[/quote

Great video. A lot of ideas explored there.

I see what paladisiac is saying, the music doesn't actually change. It is still the same sound sound.

Yet music is an integral part of my life. I'm not going to flat out make myself a caricature and say something about "the spirit of Rock n Roll" but my favorite artists are more than just people making music. They have added parts to me. There are albums that I think are great (and in my charts) that are by bands I don't even know the names of the people in them. However when I really begin to like an artist, they become like character in a book for me and they HAVE to be the heroes. They have to be people who I like. And the more I trust them, the more time I invest in them and they join my very own little world.

Well sometimes you find terrible things have happened that they unapologetic for. Keyword there is unapologetic. For such terrible things I can no longer feel how I did before. I'm not going to call "great music" bad music because of what an artist has commited but I am more than ready to "deny" myself the great music. Evil or Very Mad

Plenty more great music I have yet to listen at the end of the day.
Polythene Pam

• Posted: 09/13/2012 22:45
  • Post subject:
I love Beck.

Nuf said.
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 09/13/2012 22:58
  • Post subject:
Polythene Pam wrote:
I love Beck.

Nuf said.

Speaking of which, I can't extend the same charity for actors... Maybe it's because I don't see them when I listen to the music. I can't take Tom Cruise or John Travolta seriously anymore... maybe Beck escapes because he hasn't been as high profile regarding his religion.