Link

Link

Link
bongritsu
电子人 ( cyborg)

Canada
  • Posted: 03/26/2013 21:23
  • Post subject:
Been meaning to get into jay. Whats a good primer album?

I FEEL DISCRIMINATED AGAINST AS A PERSON OF JUDGEMENT.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
GeevyDallas
WATTBA
  • Posted: 03/26/2013 21:27
  • Post subject:
420BongRitsu69 wrote:
Been meaning to get into jay. Whats a good primer album?
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal
  • Posted: 03/26/2013 22:25
  • Post subject:
His most accessible album is probably Watch me fall.

Of course, my opinion is that he has way better stuff (e.g Blood visions, Singles 06-07, and etc.), but "Watch me fall" is a good album to start with if you haven't had much previous experience with Jay Reatard.
OFarrio

United States
  • Posted: 03/26/2013 23:01
  • Post subject:
Blood Visions is fantastic the whole way through and definitely my favorite of his. I'm not all that into Watch Me Fall and wouldn't recommend it as a starting point for Jay. I just think Blood Visions has way more energy and style.
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal
  • Posted: 03/26/2013 23:04
  • Post subject:
OFarrio wrote:
Blood Visions is fantastic the whole way through and definitely my favorite of his. I'm not all that into Watch Me Fall and wouldn't recommend it as a starting point for Jay. I just think Blood Visions has way more energy and style.

Meh. I just think Watch me Fall is more accessible, while I tend to agree with you that Blood Visions is a better album, people just getting into Jay Reatard might not react that well to it. Blood Visions is a tad bit inaccessible and although I wouldn't call it a bad place to start, I just think accessibility is better to start with rather than "better".

For example, I got into Modest Mouse through their hits rather than older albums. While I call the older albums better, their newer ones are loads more accessible to anyone who hasn't listened to much by them.
OFarrio

United States
  • Posted: 03/26/2013 23:29
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
Meh. I just think Watch me Fall is more accessible, while I tend to agree with you that Blood Visions is a better album, people just getting into Jay Reatard might not react that well to it. Blood Visions is a tad bit inaccessible and although I wouldn't call it a bad place to start, I just think accessibility is better to start with rather than "better".

For example, I got into Modest Mouse through their hits rather than older albums. While I call the older albums better, their newer ones are loads more accessible to anyone who hasn't listened to much by them.

That's a fair point. I was only going off the hypothetical scenario that went through my head where I listened to Watch Me Fall first and then didn't feel it was worth looking further into his discography. It was a scary thought.
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal
  • Posted: 03/26/2013 23:44
  • Post subject:
OFarrio wrote:
That's a fair point. I was only going off the hypothetical scenario that went through my head where I listened to Watch Me Fall first and then didn't feel it was worth looking further into his discography. It was a scary thought.

True, but then again you have to remember in this thread they're jsut asking me for a starter point, I'm sure if they don't like Watch me fall it'll at least get them a bit used to Jay Reatard's style. They're just asking for a bit of a warm - up before they get into the good shit (unless they don't like the good shit, then it'd be just shit).