I want to see the support act...

View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 09/24/2012 18:20
  • Post subject: I want to see the support act...
... but I don't even know the headliner! Is it okay for me to go to a show under these circumstances? Would I be allowed to leave early if I wanted to? Do you see any problems with what I am saying here?

Today at the guitar shop I saw a leaflet for a show a band was doing. Hadn't heard of them but what caught my eye was the support act. They are none other than 'Against Me!'. I really want to go to one of their shows and I had no idea they would be in the UK this year! So that got me excited.

However, the band that tops the bill that night is 'Frank Turner and the Sleeping Souls'. I have never listened to anything by them before ever and have barely heard the name. The show is in November and I'm not sure if I can become a fan in such a short time. In fact, show is exactly 2 months today.

What do you think about this? Have you ever gone to a concert for the support act?
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 09/24/2012 19:11
  • Post subject:
I've considered this a number of times and never gone through with it.The first was Drake (before I appreciated his genius) last year,I thought the support acts would be the same as his US dates and really wanted to see A$AP Rocky and was gonna get tickets,thankfully I didn't and he didn't support him in Dublin.The second was this summer I said I was gonna go see Noel Gallagher and Kasabian due to the fact The Cribs were supporting and the possibility that they wouldn't have a solo show was quite likely,didn't get tickets but thankfully they announced an Irish show for November which I'm going to Smile Don't see any problem with it,but why would you leave early?
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 09/24/2012 19:44
  • Post subject:
Don't see why you feel the need to "become a fan" of someone before you go and watch them live. Some of the best gigs I've ever been too have been ones I've been dragged along to, or spontaneous decisions on the recommendation of a friend. I say go, you already like the support act and chances are you might enjoy the headliner too.
Robert Anton Wilson
Epic Proghead

Canada

• Posted: 09/24/2012 19:54
  • Post subject:
Just go
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 09/24/2012 23:49
  • Post subject:
DLGGLD wrote:
I've considered this a number of times and never gone through with it.The first was Drake (before I appreciated his genius) last year,I thought the support acts would be the same as his US dates and really wanted to see A$AP Rocky and was gonna get tickets,thankfully I didn't and he didn't support him in Dublin.The second was this summer I said I was gonna go see Noel Gallagher and Kasabian due to the fact The Cribs were supporting and the possibility that they wouldn't have a solo show was quite likely,didn't get tickets but thankfully they announced an Irish show for November which I'm going to Smile Don't see any problem with it,but why would you leave early?

Great stories Very Happy I might be going to a show for The Cribs as well! I wanted to go on the tour when they released their "Men's Needs..." album but couldn't go at the time. Now I am able and will see if I can get tickets in time.

To answer why I might go early brings in what lethalnezzle was wandering about my need to "become a fan". I think I might feel like I am cheating them if I am there at the front and they are playing music they put their heart into. At the very least I would have to know the words. I might not be able to conect if they are a bunch of random people on the stage. Maybe they might not notice me though? I don't know.

• Posted: 09/24/2012 23:55
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:
Great stories Very Happy I might be going to a show for The Cribs as well! I wanted to go on the tour when they released their "Men's Needs..." album but couldn't go at the time. Now I am able and will see if I can get tickets in time.

To answer why I might go early brings in what lethalnezzle was wandering about my need to "become a fan". I think I might feel like I am cheating them if I am there at the front and they are playing music they put their heart into. At the very least I would have to know the words. I might not be able to conect if they are a bunch of random people on the stage. Maybe they might not notice me though? I don't know.

Trust me, the artists will not mind. Any artists would surely be encouraged by the presence of seemingly new fans, it means their fanbase is growing. I've never felt the need to be a fan of someone I go and watch. If they have a good live reputation, or if someone I trust recommends them, or if I go on the basis of one song I like, or even if the tickets cheap and there's nothing else on, live music is always worth going to see as much of as possible.

If you feel the need to listen to the artist prior, go ahead. But if you don't get round to it and still fancy going, don't let it stop you. And if it turns out the headliner is shit, either leave or get so drunk you don't notice.