Three Idlewild Songs

View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 10/08/2012 21:38
  • Post subject: Three Idlewild Songs
Basically a response to lethalnezzle on the Suede album of the day thread (Hi lethalnezzle!) and in general a thread showing the diversity of the band Idlewild. Everyone is welcome to listen. Infact, I am demanding you to listen! Don't think you can come in here and take the Oreo's and milk on the table there without listening. This isn't trick or treat, this is a group meeting dammit! Group meeting demand meeting minds and that is what will do! You're all saying here until this thread is done!

I have chosen 3 songs for you to listen to Smile One is a loud punkish gnarlish one. 'Everybody Says That You're So Fragile' from the first album. Second is fantastic guitar piece and one of my favorite from the band called 'Actually It's Darkness'. Sounds like a 'Document' era R.E.M. from Scotland. And last of all is 'Not Just Sometimes But Always'. This one is a ballad and truly moving piece of music. The amps are off for this and most of the work is done by the string section. The lyrics are truly beautiful too. I can't believe this was never a single and instead buried amongst some lesser Idlewild songs on their weakest album. Really is the best thing on the album it is on.

So how diverse do you think this band called Idlewild is on the basis of these songs? Smile Have I made any new fans for them?

Link

Link

Link

• Posted: 10/08/2012 22:39
  • Post subject:
I've got to be honest, none of these songs do anything for me. I don't particularly dislike them, but I don't really like them either. They're just there. The second one, to me, sounds like a subpar Doves song, and I don't like the Doves. The first one is probably my favourite of the three, but again isn't something that compels me to check them out any further. I just don't hear anything interesting happening, they're sort of like a (slightly) edgier Snow Patrol. That doesn't make them bad, they're just not for me. Thanks for trying though. Hopefully someone else hears something that piques their interest.