First post and my 5 key albums of 2000s

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 06/23/2009 06:34
  • Post subject: First post and my 5 key albums of 2000s
I was having a dicussion with some friends about the classic album dieing out. Greenday's American Idiot was one mentioned that might be a signpost, in the ever-evolving music industry, dubbed as a classic of some kind. But I believe that the following will be remembered in some way.

Absolution by Muse - The start of Muse's popularity and lead the way for 21st Century rock. Originaly called a Radiohead rip-off, they evolved in Absolution to a truly fantatsic band. And I and some friends of mine regard Matt Bellamy as the first true guitar legend of the 21st Century.

In Rainbows by Radiohead - The musicality of Radiohead is something that was already shown in albums like OK Computer and Kid A, even Hail To The Thief has merit. But In Rainbows will be remembered for the promotion and release the band decided would be used. Every song is a single in itself, and I think that is a measure of a great album.

A Rush Of Blood To The Head by Coldplay - Coldplay's rise has been rapid since Parachutes, their first offering. And this album is what pop/rock is in the 2000s; still catchy, using all manner of insturments and the lyrics are relevant to the times we live in. Clocks will remain one great song of the 2000s.

The Seldom Seen Kid by Elbow - One slightly out of left-field but the Mercury Prize winning album might be the start of Elbow's popularity. Surprisingly enough, it's their 4th album and in Australia, no-one really knows who they are but the album is one that takes you on a journey, a real key to a classic album.

Hot Fuss by The Killers - This album will be regarded as the catalyst for the rise of 80s rock resurgence. The Killers' sound has evolved only slightly, but Hot Fuss contains some brilliant songs that won't be forgotten quickly. Some critics may not like it but the impact is undeniable.

These are only a few but the definition of a classic album may change in order to classify 21st Century's gems.
  • Visit poster's website
telefunker

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/23/2009 07:54
  • Post subject:
i think eminem will feature prominently in retrospective looks over the early 21st century.. i mean, with his language he was pushing boundaries in pop culture in a way that hadn't been done in a long time.. add to that at least 2 albums of consistently great material

animal collective will probably be one of those bands more appreciated in time too.. perhaps if a wave of new, more accessable, artists come through tainted with their influence

other than that, i find it hard to believe anything by muse or elbow will ever be held in such high esteem.. although with the omnipotence of trout mask, astral weeks etc on 'greatest albums ever' lists, it's certainly not inconceivable

honestly, i think the approaching decade will produce a better harvest.. what are they gonna call it though? i mean, we're now in the 00's (the naughties, the o's etc), where do you go from there? we'll be in the 60's again soon..
teodor_matz

• Posted: 06/23/2009 10:23
  • Post subject:
Eminem - The Marshall Mather LP
Fennesz - Endless Summer
Outkast - Stankonia
The Libertines - The Libertines
The Libertines - Up The Bracket
Santogold - Santogold
The Strokes - The Strokes
Kanye West - Late Registration
Kanye West - The College Dropout
Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
The Streets - Original Pirate Material
Dizzee Rascal - Boy in Da Corner
White Stripes - Elephant
Klaxons - Myths of the Near Future
Mohammed Ali - Processen
STOR - Nya Skolans Ledare
Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz
Hot Chip - The Warning
The Good the Bad and the Queen - The Good the Bad and the Queen
  • Visit poster's website
maxxy

United States

• Posted: 06/23/2009 15:10
  • Post subject:
Arcade Fire-Funeral
TV on the Radio-Dear Science
Eminem-Marshall Mathers LP
The Strokes-Is This It
Radiohead-In Rainbows
Animal Collective-Merriweather Post Pavillion
Nas-Untitled
Animal Collective-Strawberry Jam
Coldplay-Parachuttes
Muse-Absolution
The Libertines-Up the Bracket
Arcade Fire-Neon Bible
White Stripes-Elephant
Coldplay-Viva La Vida
Arctic Monkeys-Whatever People Say I Am...
Muse-Black Holes and Revelations
Radiohead-Kid A
Animal Collective-Water Curses

Green Day is a pop band that will be fairly insignificant in the grand scheme of rock music, like Boston or Guns N' Roses.
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 06/23/2009 20:29
  • Post subject:
1. Kid A-Radiohead-2000
2. A Rush Of Blood To The Head-Coldplay-2002
3. Is This It-The Strokes-2001
4. Parachutes-Coldplay-2000
5. Elephant-The White Stripes-2003
6. Amnesiac-Radiohead-2001
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
nibbles

• Posted: 06/24/2009 01:47
  • Post subject:
5. The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place by Explosions in the Sky
4. Funeral by Arcade Fire
3. Is This It by The Strokes
2. Fleet Foxes by Fleet Foxes
1. In Rainbows by Radiohead

I think I have more 2000's music than any other decade to be honest Shocked
Alt-Rocker77

• Posted: 06/24/2009 02:09
  • Post subject:
It is an insult to compare Green Day to Boston or even G'N'R. Those bands hardly changed at all stylistically (Especially Boston, my word they sound the same on every song) I think Green Day will be remembered for their massive breakthrough Dookie, but more so for the amount of ambition they put into their records in a time of commerciality in music. It is clear they are not a speck on the map of music history.

I think people almost block out the importance of sales and the amount of people who heard the record, most of the best artists had a massive commercial breakthrough because their high quality (Bob Marley, The Beatles, Prince, Nirvana) While some greats fly under the radar, especially Television and the Velvet Underground (both to criminal extents), most of the greats do get noticed, along with the crap.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Green is the greatest band EVAR, or even this decade (that is a tie between Eminem and Radiohead), but people seem to think that beacause they fare better than acts like Muse, they ought to be stoned.

Phew, let me get off my soap box now
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 06/24/2009 02:34
  • Post subject:
Alt-Rocker77 wrote:
I think people almost block out the importance of sales and the amount of people who heard the record, most of the best artists had a massive commercial breakthrough because their high quality (Bob Marley, The Beatles, Prince, Nirvana) While some greats fly under the radar, especially Television and the Velvet Underground (both to criminal extents), most of the greats do get noticed, along with the crap.

I concur!
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 06/24/2009 14:20
  • Post subject:
Some of the albums mentioned do come to mind as key albums for the 2000s but I guess the personal idea of a classic or iconic album is just that: personal. These are only 5 albums that I believe but I agree with Eminem's Marshall Mathers and White Stripes' Elephant as others alongside my selections (even though I don't listen to much Eminem)

I guess my definition of a classic album is one which all the tracks are memorable, it takes the listener on a journey and it signifies a point in history (eg. Dark Side, Disintegration, OK Computer). To me, Muse's Absolution is one to look back on. Maybe we can't decide since it is only a few years after the release of some of these albums and it may take a decade to cement its place in history.

I think I am blabbling but to me, these are iconic and classic albums that I will always remember. I know Elbow's Seldom Seen Kid is not popular, even well known, but for me it is a signifcant album in British music. I can't pinpoint the reason but it is just a good album.

Others I have thought of:

The Presets - Apocalypso - for Australian music, this is a turningpoint for dance music in the popular spectrum.
Robert Plan & Alison Krauss - Raising Sand - one of the only collaboration albums I have but it didn't win a Grammy and other accolades for nothing.
Gorillaz - Gorillaz - my first real album that I could not stop listening to but this showed a change in how old icons become new again and the first real cartoon band with success!
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 12/07/2011 01:12
  • Post subject: The Album
I would agree that the medium of the album has been questioned throughout the 2000s. I think the albums you listed would be on my top 10 of the 2000s. I also think it is great that a rock band like Coldplay can actually sell CDs. I was starting to be afraid that because no one is buying music anymore that anything good would not be that accessible. Not that Coldplay are the saviors of Rock, but it is amazing how many albums they sold in the 2000s, considering so few people buy music now.

For me, if an artist worth their salt, they have to be able to create a holistic album. If not, they are mere one hit wonders. And if they have more than one hit, they are repeat one hit wonders.
  • Visit poster's website