Michael Jackson has died

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Charicature

United States

• Posted: 06/26/2009 01:31
  • Post subject: Michael Jackson has died
Thought it should be appropriate to mention it here.
maxxy

United States

• Posted: 06/26/2009 12:24
  • Post subject:
I'll bet you anything it was a cocaine-induced heart attack.
Charicature

United States

• Posted: 06/26/2009 16:12
  • Post subject:
maxxy wrote:
I'll bet you anything it was a cocaine-induced heart attack.

Sounds more like prescription drugs were the issue. One story suggests he'd had an injection of a potent concentration of Demerol - and supposedly his personal physician was on the scene.

Really, I don't think people should be so hard on MJ - he was used as a meal ticket by an abusive father, then, just as he was becoming the superstar he was, his hair caught on fire filming a commercial for Pepsi and he was pretty badly burned. It was around then that he started "changing".

As for the pedophile claims...I actually don't believe them. Two claims, years apart, both accepted supposed "hush money" rather than help put a dangerous man behind bars? I don't buy it - they were simply opportunists looking to cash in on their kids' connection to Jackson and all the rampant speculation about him.

I honestly think what his problem was is that he badly needed psychological help back in the 80s, for whichever of the various reasons it could have been, but his entourage and retinue and everyone around him saw him as the means of their own financial support and thus enabled his degradation instead of seeking to get him the real help he needed.

But, really - I doubt at this point anyone will ever really know for sure what went on behind the scenes with Jackson.
telefunker

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/26/2009 16:36
  • Post subject:
yeah, we will probably never know all the truths of his personal life.. even if the worst rumours were true, you would have to say that he was, in that respect, a product - or victim even - of his early environment

that aside, it was well known and documented that he was heavily addicted to benzodiazepines (heavy tranquilizers) which are incredibly harmful even when taken in moderate doses and should never be taken for more than 2 weeks - he was on up to 40 pills a day for years on end.

he was also at some point addicted to demerol (morphine like painkiller) and likely various other drugs.. of course, a demerol overdose causes cardiac arrest and respiratory depression and it wouldn't surprise me if that's exactly what happened..

either way, he was 2 weeks away from re-emerging into the spotlight after supposedly recovering from those very addictions, i can't help but think that deep down in his mind, he just gave up.. like when elderly people die suddenly when they're forced with a change of envrionment.. the subconcious mind just packs it in one way or another

still, the guy doesn't have to endure a gruelling tour he never really wanted to do, he goes out with his musical reputation untarnished and a legacy which should be technically impossible to better in popular music.. the saddest thing i think is leaving his beloved kids behind and being outlived by his parents and entire family, when he was the youngest kid after all

the best thing that can come of this is that the attention exposes the new generation of kids to his music, so that they might know him for more than just a one man freak show

r.i.p
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 06/27/2009 07:39
  • Post subject:
We will hear a lot of his music the next week or two. Try these albums:

Jackson, Michael - Bad
Jackson, Michael - History: Past, Present & Future Book I
Jackson, Michael - Number Ones
Jackson, Michael - Off The Wall
Jackson, Michael - Thriller
Jackson 5 - Diana Ross Presents The Jackson 5 & ABC
Jackson 5 - The Ultimate Collection
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Charicature

United States

• Posted: 06/27/2009 08:38
  • Post subject:
...and don't forget Wierd Al Yankovic: Dare To Be Stupid and Even Worse for the parodies Wink
Elston

Canada

• Posted: 06/27/2009 15:05
  • Post subject:
Didn't Michael fall in love with that kid Jordie, and they had sex with each other? I wouldn't consider him a pedophile per se. The kid was 14 and the relationship was consensual. Weird yes, but not raping a child. The guy was a total nut. Way weirder than Charles Foster Kane (who wasn't even real). A victim of fame no doubt. He definitely had a cute nose tho.
  • Visit poster's website
maxxy

United States

• Posted: 06/27/2009 15:48
  • Post subject:
He was onstage his whole life-no normal upbringing. And I don't think he was purely heterosexual, either--maybe pedophile, maybe asexual, who knows? He was Wacko Jacko Wink
Elston

Canada

• Posted: 06/29/2009 01:57
  • Post subject:
It's weird to hear everyone in the media acting so empathetic regarding his crimes and eccentricities. Most criminals are vilified by the common folk. I guess if you sell enough records, people will be more understanding.
  • Visit poster's website
telefunker

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/29/2009 07:27
  • Post subject:
i think that's due more to the taboo of speaking ill of the dead.. in his lifetime, the media never hesitated to chastise his idiosyncracies

to be fair though, i think michael himself was acutely aware of the power of publicity and was complicit in cultivating his image as a mystery man.. so as a realist, it's difficult to have too much sympathy with him on that level