Music, Age and Personal Preferences

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
thejoj96

• Posted: 10/25/2012 01:53
  • Post subject:
There's probably some bias with some people.
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 10/25/2012 01:59
  • Post subject:
Everybody is biased.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 10/25/2012 02:07
  • Post subject:
gussteivi wrote:
So my point is, since so many of you enjoy derivative stuff like Panda Bear, why not listen to the bands that ripped off The Beach Boys 45 years ago aswell?

Although I do think, having listened to them, Panda Bear isn't all that spectacular, I think most of the members on here are aware of The Beach Boys... and I assume you're alluding to Pet Sound or The Smile Sessions. Think
Bates, who's my age, probably got it right, in his assessment.

thejoj96 wrote:
There's probably some bias with some people.

Again, I don't think we're talking about "bias" so much as we are talking about preference and personal experience. What I don't like about the word bias is, it implies a conscious decision rather than an emotional connection and an unconscious feeling that motivates someone's actions.
  • Visit poster's website
Polythene Pam

• Posted: 10/25/2012 02:38
  • Post subject:
Just taking a guess here Mr. Green

This idea of age affecting the way people explore music possibly has a lot to do with the development of the brain. For example a child's capacity to learn a foreign language is far greater than that of a fully developed adult. Perhaps it is possible that the ability for someone to expand their musical horizons is easier and more natural at a time when their mind is still developing?

There is also something to be said about the people who write music (this is getting more subjective but w/e) when are most bands writing their best music?

The Beatles
Joy Division
Oasis
Nirvana
The Clash
Bob Dylan
The Rolling Stones
My Bloody Valentine
The Strokes
Coldplay
The Velvet Underground
etc etc

That's not to say the great music is only made buy younger people, because it obviously isn't. Still I would assume most people would agree the a greater portion of the music enjoyed is written by younger people?

The main thought I have on this is that younger people seem to have a greater capacity for music, especially if it is challenging in nature (and i don't mean challenging in some wanky avant garde manner) I mean challenging in that it is something new for the individual.

I am not sure any of that makes sense Laughing
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 10/25/2012 03:18
  • Post subject:
The Development of the brain = an interesting hypothesis. How about we just call it development of music taste, which for a music lover, I think is connected to personal development. Pitchfork has an interesting feature where they ask artists what they were listening to heavily at certain ages. There's sort of a development subtext to this feature.

Here's one featuring one of my heroes, Johnny Marr:

http://pitchfork.com/features/5-10-15-2...hnny-marr/

Here's my development theory:

Preteen-19: You're being introduced to a variety of music from the radio, MTV, or all those internet sources (probably more likely nowadays) and you're starting to figure out what you like. You're also starting to shape your identity and music plays a big part.

20-30: The exploratory years. These are the years, I think most music listeners do their most exploring. This is the time, where your musical palate will probably broaden the most. You're also developing your listening skills and learning how to pick out specific elements of a composition and listening more closely and critically to music. By age 30 though, you also start to get a really firm idea what musically fits into the like and don't like categories.

30-40: You're interested in hearing new things occasionally but you're probably not going to seek them out as much as in the past. You're also revisiting familiar sonic territory, and in some ways, you're appreciating the music that shaped your musical identity even more. For example, in 2009, when the remasters came out, I became a Beatlemaniac all over again, returning to where my love of music first started and in some ways appreciating the albums and songs on a deeper level. Also, you're starting to get a bit jaded because more often than not, you hear something, and think, "I've heard this before, and it's been done better." There's very little that sounds actually new to your ears anymore. It's sad in a way. I want my 20's back. Sad

40 +: I don't know yet... but I sense my exploration is declining somewhat. I'll be honest and say most often, if I have the choice between putting on something that I know I'm going to enjoy... music that makes me relaxed, happy, etc. and being challenged, more often I'm going to opt for the former over the latter. This has to do with the stress of life and the time constraints that come with getting older. Even in your 20's, you probably have a job and are starting to get a sense of this.

But then there's John Cale, who apparently was a Snoop Dogg fan at age 65. Laughing Interesting:

http://pitchfork.com/features/5-10-15-2...john-cale/

Last edited by Mr. Shankly on 10/25/2012 03:42; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 10/25/2012 03:41
  • Post subject:
Sorry Shankly but from my own personal experiences I can't agree with your assessments of post 30 musical listening at all.. you make us sound like a right bunch of old fuddy duddies.... Confused

Speaking as an old lady, being musically challenged is what I live for... I love listening to stuff that I don't know and seeking out new experiences. I buy on average 5 albums a week and usually at least 3 of those are by bands or artists that I didn't previously know or didn't know well. They might not be 'new' artists in the just released sense, but they are unknown to me which means for my brain they are new. The music that I listen to now may never become as personally treasured as what I listened to in my teens and twenties because of the associations I have with it - but I don't know - the jury is still out on that one for me as I keep being surprised.

I actually think Pam may be onto something with the brain theory though. One of the techniques to stave off some age related brain diseases (like dementia), that I have heard of, is to aim to experience something new as often as possible - it can be as simple as changing the route you walk to work to listening to a new album (for example). I am not sure how well founded that is scientifically but I can kind of see how that might stimulate your brain in the same way as all the new experiences you have when you are young do during your youth.

But Shanks... you definitely need to start challenging yourself more musically... trust me it is fun Laughing
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 10/25/2012 03:46
  • Post subject:
Magenta wrote:
Sorry Shankly but from my own personal experiences I can't agree with your assessments of post 30 musical listening at all.. you make us sound like a right bunch of old fuddy duddies.... Confused

Speaking as an old lady, being musically challenged is what I live for... I love listening to stuff that I don't know and seeking out new experiences. I buy on average 5 albums a week and usually at least 3 of those are by bands or artists that I didn't previously know or didn't know well. They might not be 'new' artists in the just released sense, but they are unknown to me which means for my brain they are new. The music that I listen to now may never become as personally treasured as what I listened to in my teens and twenties because of the associations I have with it - but I don't know - the jury is still out on that one for me as I keep being surprised.

I actually think Pam may be onto something with the brain theory though. One of the techniques to stave off some age related brain diseases (like dementia), that I have heard of, is to aim to experience something new as often as possible - it can be as simple as changing the route you walk to work to listening to a new album (for example). I am not sure how well founded that is scientifically but I can kind of see how that might stimulate your brain in the same way as all the new experiences you have when you are young do during your youth.

But Shanks... you definitely need to start challenging yourself more musically... trust me it is fun Laughing

Fair enough. I totally admire and respect your viewpoint on this. I guess I'm just speaking from personal experience, and I'm not saying I'm closed minded. I'm just being honest about where I'm at in life. Since you're about my age, what do you recommend highly from the last couple of years? What has challenged you at first and then later embraced?

Who knows? In a year or so, I may be in a different place and totally reassess this theory... and I have found some new things to challenge me. I've been checking out Brian Eno, for example.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 10/25/2012 03:57
  • Post subject:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
Fair enough. I totally admire and respect your viewpoint on this. I guess I'm just speaking from personal experience, and I'm not saying I'm closed minded. I'm just being honest about where I'm at in life. Since you're about my age, what do you recommend highly from the last couple of years? What has challenged you at first and then later embraced?

Who knows? In a year or so, I may be in a different place and totally reassess this theory... and I have found some new things to challenge me. I've been checking out Brian Eno, for example.

I'll PM you a list as it would drag this thread way off topic if I were to post it here...

Very Happy

Of course it changes though... there are also times when emotionally all I want is a comfortable old Smiths, Joy Division or Cramps shoe to make me feel happy and whole again... but I don't think that has ANYTHING WHATSOEVER to do with my age. The only thing that points to my age is what I choose as my comfy shoe, not the fact of the shoe Very Happy
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 10/25/2012 04:07
  • Post subject:
Thanks, Magenta (the member formerly known as Manc Soul Sister?). I'm looking forward to your recommendations. You are clearly:

Link

Wink

Uh, don't read too much into the fact that it's Frank Sinatra. Anxious Laughing
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 10/25/2012 08:30
  • Post subject:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
Thanks, Magenta (the member formerly known as Manc Soul Sister?).

I guess I need to find myself an appropriate symbol... Laughing