How much time put into Top 100 past the Top 10?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 11/26/2012 21:41
  • Post subject: How much time put into Top 100 past the Top 10?
Honestly.. past maybe my top 25, the list gets kind of random. Not too random. Definitely still some of my favorite albums, but the lower you go on my list, the more interchangeable a lot of the albums could be. I do putting more time into making the list more accurate to my liking, but truth be told, it's only the first 10 that I'm completely sure of (for now) and the next 15 are pretty close to complete, but after that I could definitely see myself moving them around. Anyone else do something similar?
  • Visit poster's website
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 11/26/2012 21:58
  • Post subject:
i've put a lot of time into my top X of all-time across a couple decades, too much time really. I'm also constantly reworking my top 250+ (i think that's how much i'm up to in my spreadsheet) and plan on eventually expanding that. I am, and have always been, music; whether that music has been worth listening to is to the ear of the beholder.
  • Visit poster's website
Robert Anton Wilson
Epic Proghead

Canada

• Posted: 11/26/2012 22:13
  • Post subject:
That is totally to be expected particularly at your age. What will be really funny is when you look back on your list -for example 10 years from now- what actually will have changed. You might be surprised to see that things you thought were given have gone and things you aren't sure about now grow stronger on you through the years.

A top 100 is too much for any individual to be really meaningful unless you are making a living of it - or a hobby for years, even decades on. That is the point of favorites, there can be only a few favorite ones otherwise it becomes to say my favorite groups and then go on with a list of a 100 groups. It just means you cannot make up your mind about what you really like. It is when you must make the hard choices, select only 10 - that the real pressure to select what really you could not live without works. If you end up on a desert island with 100 records, you can easily allow yourself to have a few dubious choices, that still makes a 4 days of listening without repeats if you listen to music 24 hours on. But if you are allowed only 10 albums -or worst only 10 songs- then what you choose becomes really meaningful.

So go ahead, use the top of your chart to tell us which ones you could not live without, and the bottom to tell us which albums you are currently spending time with when time allows.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 11/26/2012 22:32
  • Post subject:
^ I am an ultra-obsessive minded person. So when I decided I wanted to get into music almost 1 year ago, and soon listening to way more music per day than is probably sane, my tastes have now changed dramatically. I can hardly stand to think of the albums I thought I liked... only one year ago. 10 years will be interesting to see how I evolve, where I will probably have long moved-on from this music obsession anyway, or will I?

Currently, my top 3 are the "can't live without" type. The fourth is getting close to that. 5 through 17 are the next tier. The rest are a mix of albums I either just really enjoy, I associate certain things with, or are simply placed there because I think they COULD be that good and I want to see how it weighs on my mind seeing them placed at their position.
Jasonconfused

United States

• Posted: 11/26/2012 22:41
  • Post subject:
I agree that I am too young to be able to know what my musical taste will be like 10 years from now, 20 years from now, 50 years from now. That being said, I've listened to a pretty wide range of music and in a very dedicated manner so I don't expect there to be a revolutionary change. For examples, I've listened to much much much more heavy metal than I have listened to blues, but I already know that I love blues and I can expect that years from now I will just listen to more of the genres that I already find interesting or enjoyable.

Some of these albums though I do think they will be pretty stable on my list. If not because they are actually the best albums I've heard, then because they have very emotional ties to me.
  • Visit poster's website
pearljammer13
Young Pilgrim

United States

• Posted: 11/27/2012 00:54
  • Post subject:
When I first made my chart it did get pretty random after about the top 20. But since I've updated it probably 50 times, it's become pretty set in an order. Then again, I still update every couple weeks or so it's always shuffling a bit here and there. Plus as your tastes change you'll notice certain albums moving way down on your list from the original position, and new discoveries rocketing up.

I'd actually love to see how much my chart has changed since the first one Think .
  • Visit poster's website
Jasonconfused

United States

• Posted: 11/27/2012 01:47
  • Post subject:
pearljammer13 wrote:

I'd actually love to see how much my chart has changed since the first one Think .

You just inspired me to keep track of this. I'll write down my top 100 every 3 months or so.
  • Visit poster's website
nutso42

• Posted: 11/27/2012 03:49
  • Post subject:
Nah, mine is pretty much the way I think it should be.

My bottom 10 or so could maybe be switched a bit, but no more than that.
Yourselfisntsteam

• Posted: 11/27/2012 03:50
  • Post subject:
The more I listen to the more I have no idea what order to put things in. I think at least once a month I get annoyed and try and completely reorder my chart, only for it to end up a slightly different variation of what was their before. Everything becomes slightly random because ranking exact musical preferences is nearly impossible for me.
Robert Anton Wilson
Epic Proghead

Canada

• Posted: 11/27/2012 05:05
  • Post subject:
Jasonconfused wrote:
I agree that I am too young to be able to know what my musical taste will be like 10.

When I was referring to your age it was in link to your statement that you are fairly convinced about your top 10 but after that it gets more uncertain. In 10 years from now you will likely be more confident about your top 20 and in 50 years about your top 50. Even at my age I do not know where my musical tastes will be in 10 years but I can safely predict that it would take a darn powerful masterpiece to displace albums that have been in my top 5 for more than 20 years but then again ... I never expected an album like Nevermind to happen and impose itself when it or more recently OK Computer but my mind and ears are open for the next Dark side of the Moon, Nevermind, or OK Computer to come around the band and prove me wrong.

I think your attitude and reflection on all this is right on ... stay true to your established loves, and let the door open to new experience learning more and more what turns you on. Sometimes it is good to throw ourselves our of our comfort zone and give something that feels off-character a chance, other times it feels good to be able to save time and go straight for the sure win.

Eh! In the end, I just love music and am happy to hear about people who share this passion on a site like here.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website