Paying for music

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Should music be paid for or should it just be downloaded for free?
Pay
80%
 80%  [16]
Download (for free)
20%
 20%  [4]
Total Votes : 20

Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 11/27/2012 08:40
  • Post subject: Paying for music
At the tender (lol) age of 19, people seem to be flabbergasted when they find out I've spent well over $2000 on music. I've bought most of it from iTunes. Yes I'm aware that there are cheaper and better ways to acquire music but for reasons I don't really have time to get into, this is the most efficient way for me to acquire music, or at least has been for most of my short life. The question here is, should I be paying for all my music? Or just downloading it?
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 11/27/2012 10:58
  • Post subject:
Recently I have been buying tons of Cd's to listen to. I am not a big fan of downloading because of unforeseen circumstance(Hard drive breaks down, viruses, and etc.). Not only that, but if you like a band enough, why not support them? For 5 - 20 dollars you can buy a CD that you will enjoy(listen to the songs online first of course) and that'll help the band financially.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/27/2012 13:04
  • Post subject:
Buy music. That's always a good thing to do.

Just don't do it through iTunes Laughing Get CD's or Vinyl. If you don't want a physical copy, you might as well just download it.... A very small percentage of iTunes sales actually go towards the artist. iTunes takes anywhere from 60-75% of the profit right on the spot....
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 11/27/2012 13:42
  • Post subject:
People pay for music??? Confused Think
  • Visit poster's website
Mirek

Poland

• Posted: 11/27/2012 14:14
  • Post subject:
Paying for music is natural for me. Ofcourse I can listen to for free (radio, internet or with friend) but if I want to have something for myself I always buying it. I'm traditionalist and I always buy CD or vinyl. Every time I can rip it and have it in my MP3.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 11/27/2012 15:03
  • Post subject:
It doesn't really bother me if other people download music for free, but I'm very obsessive-compulsive about my music collection. I'll listen to stuff for free on youtube, but I won't put it on my iTunes or anything like that until I own the physical CD.
Borve Baunehoj

• Posted: 11/27/2012 15:19
  • Post subject:
iTunes sucks. I once bought an album on there by New York Art Quartet where the tracks were in wrong order and had wrong song titles, so that the song titles were in correct order but the songs weren't. Also a friend once bought Exodus by Bob Marley on iTunes where he had to download the album afterwards because half of the songs were unplayable

I buy CDs, you can usually order them pretty cheap on the internet (with shipping, it's still cheaper than in stores). When I download music, it's something that's out of stock everywhere or just ridiculously hard to acquire (albums by Natural Snow Buildings and Sun City Girls comes to mind). Streaming services complements purchases for me, so it's not like I have to buy every album I'm curious to listen to

Also I'm not interested in telling people what they should and should not do, I'm not a preacher. I like having a CD collection as it's my most personal possession, what represents me the best. Music is by far the most awesome thing I know, and I have all my favorite CDs in my room - that feels good. But my CD collection is not some moral principle, and if you prefer to get your music through downloading that's just fine with me. People should find their way to enjoy their music
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 11/27/2012 16:20
  • Post subject:
I refuse to ever download music because my internet is too slow, on a ridiculous scale. CDs all the way, I like having a collection of 100+ CDs anyway, cheap enough too as most as are second hand.

• Visit poster's website
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 11/27/2012 16:24
  • Post subject:
Well I guess I can quickly talk about it.. just in case anyone is extremely bothered by the fact that I've had to avoid physical copies as often as possible...
I grew up in a very Christian household and to my dad to listen to anything other than Christian music meant I would go to hell so it has been out of necessity rather than choice that I've had to resort to files rather than CDs simply because they are easier to conceal. At this point its just become a habit. I've spent so much on these files that at this point the only physical copies I see myself ever going to are when I get my own place I'll get a record player and just get some of my all time favorite albums on vinyl.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 11/27/2012 16:32
  • Post subject:
I download everything I want to hear, then buy physical copies of stuff I really like. When I can afford to. Sometimes it'll be a couple of years between hearing something I love and getting around to buying it. But I try my best.