CLOSED-Best Ever Novelist tournament- NOMINATIONS

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

• Posted: 11/30/2012 19:59
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
Lol. I nominated Jimmy Buffett as a joke. He'll probably get eliminated quickly, but still margaritaville

I got that it was a joke. I wasn't so much moaning at the Buffett nomination as at the significant authors missing from the competition. Either way, I'm looking forward to it - it's just that there were some bizarre omissions in the nomination process. I mean, it's my fault as much as anyone else's for not nominating them, but I guess I figured that they were shoo-ins and thus nominated authors who were less likely to be nominated by someone else. Ho hum.
purple

• Posted: 11/30/2012 21:40
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
I have an issue with the tourney. Is it OK to try and defend an author without quoting the book? I'll have the utmost difficulty quoting the books I'll be defending, as:
- I don't own them in English;
- I am not good enough a translator to try and translate the copies in French I own;
- it's no use quoting them in French, 3 people will understand.
All of a sudden, the matches are getting a bit more difficult for me. I'll probably have a go at defending them anyway, but it's terribly complicated to talk about style if you can't quote the works...

Or maybe I should quit, considering I won't be able to defend the books properly, or at least not as efficiently as any opponent I might have to fight? I'm OK with quitting and leaving my seat to somebody else, if that's what it takes.

I was simply presenting what I believe I might be doing to promote authors, especially to those who might not have read some of the novels that I'll be presenting. I see it as perfectly acceptable not to include quotes. The only reason for promotion is to convince voters who have not read what you are presenting.

Personally, when I see your four picks, you won't have to do much promotion for Balzac or Dostoyevsky. In fact, I will likely vote for Dostoyevsky automatically over most authors, including my own picks of Melville and Stein; The Idiot, Demons, and Brothers Karamazov are among the greatest literary works ever produced in my book. I think my greatest literary crush, after Jane Eyre, is Aglaia.
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 11/30/2012 21:54
  • Post subject:
Damn, forgot about Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Any chances of changing my nominations, or are they fixed already? No biggie if it's already set...

EDIT: Orson Scott Card for GGM, if it's possible.

Last edited by Defago on 12/01/2012 04:52; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 12/01/2012 04:38
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
TBH, you could write a load of gibberish in defence of your authors and I'd still vote for them ahead of Jimmy Buffett. How he got nominated when the likes of James Baldwin, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Mark Twain, Graham Greene, John Steinbeck, Gabriel Garcia Marquez etc. got overlooked is beyond me.

Shocked Saoirse, can I replace Virginia Woolf with Mark Twain?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Saoirse

• Posted: 12/01/2012 05:29
  • Post subject:
@ Defago and Eggman: No problem, will make change

@ Lethal: admittingly making it a true "best ever novelist" contest is a bit of a stretch, as this is really just a group of BEA users picking their favorites, and hopefully helping the bookish BEA crowd find some new favorite authors in the process. Perhaps Im just not quite up to running a 128-candidate tournament right now, but I like this nice sample size we have here and already am discovering some new names I probably wouldn't have come across otherwise, so Im keeping it at 64 now even if several favorites and extremely important novelists aren't to be found in this lot.

@ Norman: yeah I when I decided on this tournament I knew it wouldn't be easy, and one thing I may have underestimated would be the potential language barrier this tournament may have, as we've all read these books in different languages and may make it tougher individualy to promote your works in a universal sense. However, you also don't have to promote strictly by posting excerpts; if anything the whole point is to get creative in how you "hype" and make the case for your favorite writers, whichever way you feel strongest in helping your novelist to victory. Im glad you're involved and don't want to see you lose interest in the tournament... especially with some new ideas on the horizon it's sure to get even more interesting.

• Posted: 12/01/2012 13:11
  • Post subject:
Whilst everyone's making replacements, can I swap Paul Auster for James Baldwin pretty please?

And yeah, after my experience with the rapper tournament, I would certainly advise against a 128-entry tournament. It's just too much. Any, looking forward to this starting. Should be very interesting.
purple

• Posted: 12/01/2012 13:38
  • Post subject:
Eggman/Walrus/Taxman wrote:
Shocked Saoirse, can I replace Virginia Woolf with Mark Twain?

that was stupid

• Posted: 12/01/2012 13:40
  • Post subject:
purple wrote:
that was stupid

This.
Saoirse

• Posted: 12/01/2012 18:23
  • Post subject:
Okay. I'll make one more change, but from now on the nominations are set in stone (though even I want to know how serious that Jimmy Buffett nod was, and I too am sad to see Virginia Woolfe go Sad )

• Posted: 12/01/2012 18:29
  • Post subject:
Saoirse wrote:
Okay. I'll make one more change, but from now on the nominations are set in stone (though even I want to know how serious that Jimmy Buffett nod was, and I too am sad to see Virginia Woolfe go Sad )

Thaaaaaaaaaaaanks.