Don Van Vliet: His Greatest 25 tracks?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
hairymarx1

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/27/2012 23:46
  • Post subject: Don Van Vliet: His Greatest 25 tracks?
I have long been a great admirer of the work of Captain Beefheart (aka Don Van Vliet). I regard this artist as a musical genius who virtually single-handedly changed the course of rock music. It could be reasonably argued that if it were not for Beefheart, then many progressive forms of rock music that we take for granted today - from, for example, what is euphemistically termed 'krautrock', through to post-punk, experimental and hardcore - simply would not exist.

Beefheart was arguably the first rock musician to challenge public pre-conceptions as to what was musically and artistically possible within the confines of the genre. There are only two, possibly three, of his albums where he deliberately compromised his artistic vision in what was an eventual quest for commercial success. This was his two-year relatively creatively fallow period in England during the mid-1970s.

In my view, no other artists (with the possible exception of The Velvet Underground) has come anywhere near as close in helping to shape the fabric of rock music in such a long- lasting and wide-reaching way as Beefheart has. His impact and lasting influence on the music scene is unquestionable.

Beefheart was the real McCoy - the genuine voice of the alternative freak culture whose music and often absurd poetry was as funny as it was profound. His art, which is often cited as being pretensious and incomprehensible, is to my ears enjoyably accessible that actually dispels much of the pomposity that might be reasonably attributed to many of his contemporaries.

During his 28 year career in which he produced at least eight albums of a consistent and timeless quality, the Captain rarely strayed from his artistic vision right up to his untimely death. Musical fashions come and go, but the uncompromising brilliance that is Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band will live on forever.

I've recently meticulously trawled through all of the Captain's back catalogue in order to attempt a re-evaluation and updating of the great man's work. Selecting just 25 of what I consider to be his best works, was an extremely time-consuming and difficult process for me personally. Nevertheless, after much soul searching I came up with the following (in chronological order):

Dropout Boogie
Electricity
25th Century Quaker
Kandy Korn
Steal Softly Thru Snow
Ella Guru
Moonlight On Vermont
Pena
Veteran's Day Poppy
Fallin' Ditch
China Pig
Hobo Chang Ba
Hair Pie Bake 1
When Big Joan Sets Up
Ant Man Bee
Lick My Decals Off, Baby
Peon
Big Eyed Beans From Venus
The Floppy Boot Stomp
Bat Chain Puller
Suction Prints
Ashtray Heart
Sue Egypt
The Ghost, The Ghost, The Most Holy-O
The Thousandth And Tenth Day At The Human Totem Pole

Last edited by hairymarx1 on 11/28/2012 04:47; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
thejoj96

• Posted: 11/27/2012 23:47
  • Post subject:
InB4Eggman
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 11/28/2012 02:17
  • Post subject:
Love I definitely need to listen to more of Beefheart's stuff. Seems like 4 albums isn't close to enough.
  • Visit poster's website
Yourselfisntsteam

• Posted: 11/28/2012 03:32
  • Post subject:
I haven't heard all of of Beefheart's discography, but some of my favourites not on your list would be:

I'm glad
Sweet Sweet Bulbs
Fallin Ditch
Steal Softly through Snow
The Smithsonian Institute Blues
Peon
Harry Irene
hairymarx1

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/28/2012 03:40
  • Post subject:
Defago wrote:
Love I definitely need to listen to more of Beefheart's stuff. Seems like 4 albums isn't close to enough.

What were the four?
  • Visit poster's website
hairymarx1

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/28/2012 03:57
  • Post subject:
Yourselfisntsteam wrote:
I haven't heard all of of Beefheart's discography, but some of my favourites not on your list would be:

I'm glad
Sweet Sweet Bulbs
Fallin Ditch
Steal Softly through Snow
The Smithsonian Institute Blues
Peon
Harry Irene

Few artists have produced such a high quality an varied body of work as Beefheart. I started out with 50 then rattled it down to 25. In truth I could of picked 100. In my view he has produced 8 albums that I regard as masterpieces - Safe As Milk, Mirror Man, Strictly Personal, Trout Mask, Decals, Shiny Beast, Doc and Crow.

Even the albums the fans slated stand up remarkably well as faithfull blues-based interpretations, AOR rock standards and ballads etc and were only done so largely on the basis that they were not regarded as classic albums in the Beefheartonian sense.

If it were anybody else other than the Captain who conceived, for example, Clear Spot or Spotlight Kid, impartial observers less familiar with the rest of his work would arguably have been a lot more forgiving. But then the Captain's standards were high. Artistically and creatively, he rarely compromised.
  • Visit poster's website
mooseboy101

Switzerland

• Posted: 11/28/2012 04:14
  • Post subject:
i dont have favorite songs because i think his material is best listened to on an album in it's entirety

though mirror man is great
hairymarx1

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/28/2012 04:21
  • Post subject:
mooseboy101 wrote:
i dont have favorite songs because i think his material is best listened to on an album in it's entirety

though mirror man is great

I agree Mirror Man is superb. I avoid complitations like the plague.
  • Visit poster's website
PTLegz

• Posted: 11/28/2012 05:40
  • Post subject:
I only have Trout Mask and Safe As Milk but they're both fantastic and I probably need to get more of his shit
  • Visit poster's website
Borve Baunehoj

• Posted: 11/28/2012 06:55
  • Post subject:
Just recently got around Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) and it definitely contains the best song about "tropical hot dog night, like two flamingoes in a fruit fight" I've ever heard