android owners, which music app (and sync) do you use?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 11/29/2012 16:10
  • Post subject: android owners, which music app (and sync) do you use?
Hi all,

I just picked up a galaxy s3 about a month+ ago (32gig with 64gig external card dedicated exclusively to music). Previously, i had a dumb phone and an iTouch. I'm used to the apple way of playing music and synchronizing music. After using the s3 and many music and sync programs, i've come to a solid conclusion that apple easily has the upper hand hear. The s3 is better in many other ways, but music is my #1 priority and the s3 and its apps just haven't been as solid/stable as i was used to with the iTouch.

My dillemma is that i have all of my music in iTunes with over 100 playlists and i want to be able to synchronize from iTunes. I also want scrobbler support, good album artwork support, randomizing any album/artist/playlist -- basically everything i had with the iTouch. I also want an app that doesn't crash at least once a day. (More on that later.) I add/subtract a couple albums every 2-or-3 days, so good (and quick) synchronization is key

So i'm asking all the android music lovers out there what you use for a music app as well as a sync app? Below is a list of what i've used and what my experiences with each are. If you have tried other players than listed, or have other experiences than mine, please pipe in with what you think. Thank you.

SYNCHRONIZING:

iSyncr (paid version) - this is the best one, which only speaks to the problems of the others. iSyncr works great when initially synchronizing. But it's slow. It takes at least 30 minutes to synchronize. After initial usage, sometimes it doesn't sync all newly-added music and i have to sync twice or restart the app (or both). When removing music from iTunes, i have to choose "remove music not in selected playlists" -- but even when i choose all playlists, it deletes a few songs and/or albums each time, so then i need to resync (without the "remove" option selected) the next time. It also crashes at least once a day; it just stops playing and i have to start it again, or has to close itself. It has a wireless sync'ing option, but that's even slower, and sometimes when i use it, some playlists are dropped (so i've stopped using it).

doubleTwist (paid version) - This thing putters out about 1/3 of the way through synchronizing my music. Just stops. I restart it and it doesn't continue where it left off. I've given up.

winamp - This won't synchronize to my external card, only internal memory. So i haven't tried it.

easy music sync - I can't remember the issue with this one. I gave up on it early on.. I think it's because it wouldn't sync to my external card.

MUSIC APPS:

Rocket Player (paid version) - From the makers of iSyncr, this is the best player i've found so far. If it didn't crash at least once a day, this would be a clear winner. It incorporates ID3 artwork or downloads artwork itself or allows you to use a third party app for that. It has all the music-playing options i want, including a widget for easy home screen access. It has last.fm scrobbling support.

doubleTwist (paid version) - Ok player. Without the sync program, i haven't really touched it much.

Music Player - I think this was the S3's default music player. I have to say it's my 2nd favorite. Its problems are that it has no scrobbling support and doesn't recognize compilation/soundtrack albums well. (It seems to group by folder instead of ID3 album.) Its strength is that it doesn't crash, or if it does, it keeps playing. And it has no widget for play/pause/skip from home screen and no similar lock screen functionality. But its simple and it works well. When my iSyncr synchronizing experiences problems, this app knows where all the music is when even the Rocket Player might have an issue.

Google Play - This doesn't read album artwork well at all. It doesn't read compilations well. It doesn't have scrobbling support. It doesn't find all my music well when iSyncr has issues. It also seems to load up automatically when i hookup my S3 to my iMac via USB, which is annoying. It doesn't do anything better than Rocket or the default Music Player.

NRG / GoneMad (trial versions) - They don't recognize all my music and playlists and/or their functionality and look-and-feel don't measure up.

---

I think i've tried other music apps, but don't remember them offhand.

Please share any experiences, especially successes, that you have had. Thank you.
  • Visit poster's website
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 11/30/2012 21:25
  • Post subject:
Does everyone else have ipods / iphones? Am i alone in the android forest?

For those galaxy s3 owners, beware that the jellybean release (4.1.1) farks up the MTP application, which keeps some applications from being able to make USB transfers/updates. This of course includes music applications that synchronize S3 content from either windows or a mac. Ugh.
  • Visit poster's website
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 03/07/2013 20:18
  • Post subject:
for those that have an android phone, i've come across another music player called "Neutron Music Player". It's interface isn't the most intuitive, but this player has the best sound quality and has a lot of features. i recommend it. There's a 5 day free trial version available to hear for yourself.
  • Visit poster's website
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 03/07/2013 20:22
  • Post subject:
You're probably alone. I have an android, but I still use an ipod for music. Not sure why. I guess I just find an ipod and iTunes to be more aesthetically pleasing.
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 03/07/2013 20:27
  • Post subject:
Jasonconfused wrote:
You're probably alone. I have an android, but I still use an ipod for music. Not sure why. I guess I just find an ipod and iTunes to be more aesthetically pleasing.

i switched from iLand to an android (S3) last year. The main thing the android lacks in comparison is quick-and-reliable synchronization (from itunes) and sound quality of playback. The neutron player solves the second piece. Now if iSyncr could iron out its bugs, the first part would be better too.
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 03/07/2013 20:31
  • Post subject:
paladisiac wrote:
Does everyone else have ipods / iphones? Am i alone in the android forest?

I'd love to have an Android, but I don't think there's anything on the market that competes with the iPod Classic in terms of capacity. I'd hate to pick and chose music on the go - having it all with me is a life saver.
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 03/07/2013 20:34
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
I'd love to have an Android, but I don't think there's anything on the market that competes with the iPod Classic in terms of capacity. I'd hate to pick and chose music on the go - having it all with me is a life saver.

I have a 8gb iPod nano and have over 200gbs in my iTunes(it needs a serious cull soon),selecting what makes it takes hours some times as I only usually do it once a month or so.Need to upgrade to a 120gb classic soon.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 03/07/2013 20:37
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:

This. My brother has a Galaxy SIII but I can't fucking tell how he can work with that thing really.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 03/08/2013 00:04
  • Post subject:
Hands down, google music is the best thing out there for android.

You can put up to 20,000 songs in their cloud and then just stream it on your phone. The sound quality is great.

I remember being bummed about the sound quality of phone music at first and was looking to get another ipod classic to replace my gen5 30 GB after what 6 years now...

Anyways, I uploaded music to my phone directly using some of the programs you mentioned, and noticed a big difference in how the music sounded playing directly from my phone. Sounded like garbage. Using same phone with google music, and have my entire library available anywhere I have a signal. You can also make all your music available offline, or just a few albums.

Last edited by RoundTheBend on 03/08/2013 00:07; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 03/08/2013 00:06
  • Post subject:
Google Music is free... please everyone try it out...

If you are willing to pay monthly, spotify's 30 day trial wasn't too shabby. Of course you are missing Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, and Beatles, but have almost everything else you would want.
  • Visit poster's website