5%
 5%  [2]
subjective
94%
 94%  [34]
Total Votes : 36

Kiki

• Posted: 02/26/2013 22:59
  • Post subject: Is music objective or subjective?
So like... is music objective or subjective? What are the implications of one and the other? What's the difference from one to another sister and a brother?
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/26/2013 23:05
  • Post subject:
It has to be subjective otherwise we'd all like the same thing.
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 02/26/2013 23:12
  • Post subject:
subjective
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 02/26/2013 23:14
  • Post subject:
I can't even vote for the question because it's so vague. What aspect of it? If you're referring to the quality of music, that's subjective.

• Posted: 02/26/2013 23:25
  • Post subject:
The only time I will ever sincerely tell anybody that their opinion is 100% wrong is if they insinuate that popular music is "objective". Sure, technical ability can be measured objectively, but even then that amounts to little. As far as I'm concerned, Ronald Jones is ten times the guitarist Joe Satriani will ever be, because it's about how the way they play their guitar and the sounds they come up with make me feel. Somebody can believe Lil B is the greatest rapper of all-time, and they wouldn't be wrong, despite his obvious technical deficiencies. But if somebody states that any one band or artist is "objectively" better than another then they are clearly a fucking moron who doesn't deserve the privilege of listening to popular music (I can't speak for classical music as it is a totally different medium, and one I am not at all familiar enough with to comment on). It's all about how it feels to any one person. Whatever somebody believes is the greatest album of all-time (i.e. their favourite album, and no they aren't two separate entities) is the greatest album of all-time, or at least deserves to be considered in the discussion. Popular opinion, critical opinion, radio play, record sales, supposed influence, etc. mean absolutely fucking nothing, and anybody who actually takes those things into account when forming an opinion on music is an imbecile. If you genuinely believe an artist - within the sphere of popular music, that is - is "objectively" better than another then you are wrong, you are an idiot, and I pity you and your inability/stubborn refusal to accept and comprehend the most basic principle of my favourite artform.
Silver

• Posted: 02/27/2013 00:41
  • Post subject:
Well put Lethal, I agree with pretty much everything you said there.
pearljammer13
Young Pilgrim

United States

• Posted: 02/27/2013 00:47
  • Post subject:
Oh Jesus, not this again.
  • Visit poster's website
Jasonconfused

United States

• Posted: 02/27/2013 01:00
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
The only time I will ever sincerely tell anybody that their opinion is 100% wrong is if they insinuate that popular music is "objective". Sure, technical ability can be measured objectively, but even then that amounts to little. As far as I'm concerned, Ronald Jones is ten times the guitarist Joe Satriani will ever be, because it's about how the way they play their guitar and the sounds they come up with make me feel. Somebody can believe Lil B is the greatest rapper of all-time, and they wouldn't be wrong, despite his obvious technical deficiencies. But if somebody states that any one band or artist is "objectively" better than another then they are clearly a fucking moron who doesn't deserve the privilege of listening to popular music (I can't speak for classical music as it is a totally different medium, and one I am not at all familiar enough with to comment on). It's all about how it feels to any one person. Whatever somebody believes is the greatest album of all-time (i.e. their favourite album, and no they aren't two separate entities) is the greatest album of all-time, or at least deserves to be considered in the discussion. Popular opinion, critical opinion, radio play, record sales, supposed influence, etc. mean absolutely fucking nothing, and anybody who actually takes those things into account when forming an opinion on music is an imbecile. If you genuinely believe an artist - within the sphere of popular music, that is - is "objectively" better than another then you are wrong, you are an idiot, and I pity you and your inability/stubborn refusal to accept and comprehend the most basic principle of my favourite artform.

I agree with your points on objective vs subjective, but my heart is broken! I love Joe Satriani. You cannot possibly believe he plays with no feeling?

• Posted: 02/27/2013 01:01
  • Post subject:
Jasonconfused wrote:
I agree with your points on objective vs subjective, but my heart is broken! I love Joe Satriani. You cannot possibly believe he plays with no feeling?

I don't believe that he plays without feeling, but rather that his playing produces no real feeling within me.
Jasonconfused

United States

• Posted: 02/27/2013 01:05
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
I don't believe that he plays without feeling, but rather that his playing produces no real feeling within me.

Ahh well that is different. Understood.