Rating Forum Posts?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 12/05/2012 15:27
  • Post subject: Rating Forum Posts?
A few forum's I've been to have a system where you can thumbs up or up vote a post in a thread. I've always like this as a feature because it allows you to see how much of an impact something you've said has had. Sometimes I also want to give a member a nod of appreciation, but don't want to make a post that's just "Good one mate". I think it could work well on BEA as well because of the points system - perhaps a thumbs up could give an extra half point?

It should hopefully encourage people to post more thought through posts and possibly discourage people from making to many posts in threads that no one actually reads, but instead be an active part of discussion.

There shouldn't be a thumbs down option though, to keep things positive.

• Posted: 12/05/2012 15:35
  • Post subject: Re: Rating Forum Posts?
Puncture Repair wrote:
A few forum's I've been to have a system where you can thumbs up or up vote a post in a thread. I've always like this as a feature because it allows you to see how much of an impact something you've said has had. Sometimes I also want to give a member a nod of appreciation, but don't want to make a post that's just "Good one mate". I think it could work well on BEA as well because of the points system - perhaps a thumbs up could give an extra half point?

It should hopefully encourage people to post more thought through posts and possibly discourage people from making to many posts in threads that no one actually reads, but instead be an active part of discussion.

I agree with all of this, except for the last bit. I think a comment with five thumbs down shouldn't earn a point.

• Posted: 12/05/2012 16:01
  • Post subject:
All I can think of to say is... if there's a thumbs up option, there must also be a thumbs down option. IMO.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 12/05/2012 16:28
Puncture Repair wrote:

I like this idea, and it could also maybe be used as a way to police the points system on the forums (in the same way that comments on the rest of the site only contribute if they have more than -2 votes). I also agree with others that if this was added, a thumbs down option should also be available to keep the balance.
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 12/05/2012 16:41
albummaster wrote:
I also agree with others that if this was added, a thumbs down option should also be available to keep the balance.

Great to see support for the idea Very Happy

I was just a little concerned that thumbs down could scare people away from the forums, which can be a little daunting in the first place. In the comments a lot of very legitimate comments gets very downvoted for simply holding an unpopular opinion, which in the case of a debate (which is more common on a forum) could make people think twice about expressing their own views.

But whatever floats the boat.
Happymeal

• Posted: 12/05/2012 16:43
  • Post subject:
Just to be fair, I disagree 5 thumbs down(unless it was a joke) should eliminate the points you get from the post. This discourages arguing against the majority.
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 12/05/2012 17:05
  • Post subject:
I agree with the last two posters. No thumbs down. They tend to be used as vendettas.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 12/05/2012 17:08
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
Just to be fair, I disagree 5 thumbs down(unless it was a joke) should eliminate the points you get from the post. This discourages arguing against the majority.

This was my thought exactly. I love me some controversy when it comes to talking music. If only there was a way to ensure that people would only be given a thumbs down if the post was pointless rather than something that others just disagree with.
  • Visit poster's website
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 12/05/2012 17:24
  • Post subject:
Cool idea! I agree with the downvotes, and with posts not being worth points if they go below a vote threshold. To counter this votes above another threshold could be worth more points, too.
  • Visit poster's website
thejoj96

• Posted: 12/05/2012 22:50
  • Post subject:
it's a good idea