Chart composition

View previous topic :: View next topic
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 09/04/2009 15:25
  • Post subject: Chart composition
Just getting ideas on what peoples' views on chart composition is and how it affects your rating.

- Albums by decade - spread out evenly, anchored in the 60s and 70s or is not a concern when looking at a chart.

- Albums by band - as many from one artist as is reasonable or 1 album per artist. I see this alot that people have only one album per artist so is that better than 5 albums from (example) Beatles, 3 from Radiohead and Led Zeppelin etc.

Any comments?
  • Visit poster's website
telefunker

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/04/2009 19:07
  • Post subject:
this is besteveralbums, not besteverdecades or besteverartists, therefore i wouldn't hesitate to include multiple albums from the same artist or spread my albums disproportionately throughout the decades (as you'll no doubt have noticed)

most of the official, recognized charts are very beatles heavy and are very much rooted in the 60s.. which is fair in a way, though it doesn't reflect my opinions
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 09/05/2009 00:38
  • Post subject:
The only restraining element I forced myself to obey to is to never have the same artist twice in my list.
  • Visit poster's website
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 09/05/2009 01:16
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
The only restraining element I forced myself to obey to is to never have the same artist twice in my list.
Same here. One, because it makes the chart more interesting to look at, and two, it actually makes it easier when you only have to choose one by each band.

-John Cassavettes
  • Visit poster's website
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 09/05/2009 12:57
  • Post subject:
40footwolf wrote:
One, because it makes the chart more interesting to look at, and two, it actually makes it easier when you only have to choose one by each band.

I guess it then becomes a list of besteveralbums by the besteverbands. But I ask then of Norman and 40ft, when looking at another chart, do you take into consideration decade or multiple artist entries when rating? Does less variety and more concentrated favourtism a hinderance?
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 09/05/2009 15:38
  • Post subject:
The answer is in the title/description of this website: Best Ever Albums - The Greatest Music Albums of All Time. Charts should include the best ever albums of all time not just one decade or one band. If a band or decade has more than one album that qualifies it should be included. The only limitation is the total number that can be listed (currently 50 for member charts).
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 09/05/2009 18:06
  • Post subject:
Quote:
when looking at another chart, do you take into consideration decade or multiple artist entries when rating? Does less variety and more concentrated favourtism a hinderance?

No, it's just something that I imposed on myself, and I rate other charts just looking at how many albums I love or hate. I did it for my own chart so that it should not have only my ten favourite artists with each their five best albums. It would have been boring I think.
  • Visit poster's website
maxxy

United States

• Posted: 09/05/2009 22:48
  • Post subject:
If I agree with it or not. if a chart has VU, Clash, Dylan, etc. then me gusta, if it has...slipknot, brittney, or 50 cent no me gusta. Composition doesn't really matter, unless its like 5 or more by the same artist
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 09/06/2009 00:13
  • Post subject:
harkan wrote:
40footwolf wrote:
One, because it makes the chart more interesting to look at, and two, it actually makes it easier when you only have to choose one by each band.

I guess it then becomes a list of besteveralbums by the besteverbands. But I ask then of Norman and 40ft, when looking at another chart, do you take into consideration decade or multiple artist entries when rating? Does less variety and more concentrated favourtism a hinderance?
I do think variety is very important; if somebody just has all indie or all metal or all vocal groups than I probably am not going to give it over a 60 because I think having a well-rounded sense of the musical world around you is very important to being a "good" music listener. My list, for example, has a fair mix of metal, classic rock, indie rock, a little rap, and so forth. My tastes skew pretty wide and I think people need to be willing to take risks in what they listen to. Don't just stick to the Beatles or Michael Jackson because that's what makes you comfortable.

-John Cassavettes
  • Visit poster's website