Question

View previous topic :: View next topic
Happymeal

• Posted: 12/11/2012 07:51
  • Post subject: Question
Here is a question for all theists, atheists, agnostics, or whatever you are. If we knew that god did not exist, would there still be a concept of religion? Also if we never formed the idea that god existed, could the concept of religion still exist?

• Posted: 12/11/2012 11:29
  • Post subject:
Isn't Buddhism like that?
Happymeal

• Posted: 12/11/2012 13:34
  • Post subject:
tekin wrote:
Isn't Buddhism like that?

Here, let me rephrase the questions to only include religions that believe in a deity. Could those religions still thrive knowing, without a doubt, that their deity did not exist?
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 12/11/2012 15:22
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
Here, let me rephrase the questions to only include religions that believe in a deity. Could those religions still thrive knowing, without a doubt, that their deity did not exist?

There'd still be believers. It doesn't matter how true something is. There are still people that believe President Obama is muslim. People will believe whatever they want to believe. I'm sure some would blame the "liberal media".

However, if the nonexistence of God was an undeniable, let's say scientific, fact, then i don't think religions would thrive anymore. People used to think the sun revolved around the sun, that the earth was flat; or, more in line with this question, people used to believe in sun gods and Zeus and Thor the moon and stars were good/bad gods. With such a "fact" that God truly didn't exist, God-based religion would discontinue to thrive over time.
  • Visit poster's website
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 12/11/2012 17:36
  • Post subject:
Maybe as moral codes and charity associations, no need to change how you act just because there's nobody checking on you. But the theological part would be gone, I believe.
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 12/11/2012 18:44
  • Post subject:
If it was proved recently I'd say religion would plummet, but wouldn't be completely eradicated.
Just like there's communities that still believe the world is flat, there would be people who believe the proof against god is just a conspiracy.

I would say it's impossible to create a civilization without the idea of god, but if god was never theorized then sure, there wouldn't be any religions, just different ways of life - much like Buddhism.
thejoj96

• Posted: 12/11/2012 20:53
  • Post subject:
there will always be imbeciles who ignore facts
purple

• Posted: 12/11/2012 21:48
  • Post subject:
There's a difference between ritual and religion. I think religion exists to try to establish rituals that promote societal and individual health, but that rituals independently exist to promote individual and societal health. A ritual is an act that serves to explicitly distinguish crossing a life boundary (e.g. a graduation ceremony) and promotes psychological health by establishing an individual's identity (i.e. I am now in this collective (e.g. out of secondary school) and this is what is expected of me). Societal health might include sociological cohesion of the community (e.g. knowing what is expected of you within a given collective), which allows the individual to form their identity within the society. An example of a religious ritual that promotes such health might be marriage (heterosexual or not) or bar mitzvahs; an example of a non-religious ritual that promotes such health would be parties for lifetime landmarks, including birthdays or a graduation.

What I am saying is that ritual is necessary for psychological health because it allows an individual to form an identity within a society, but the society must have an established set of rituals for this to occur. Religion usually makes up a large part of that established set of rituals. However, I do not see why the non-religious could not appropriate religious rituals, or "have a religion with no deity." As I said before, I think ritual is independent of religion. Personally, I plan on getting married; however, I view this as a societal norm and what is expected of me, rather than a necessary union required to love under god. On the other hand, religion is dependent on ritual, including things like bar mitzvahs, baptisms, prayer, etc. I personally would define religion loosely as a set of rituals and other behaviors associated with one or more gods (and other critters, usually). So, technically it wouldn't be religion without a god; however, dropping semantics, I think you can have what you've phrased the "concept of religion" without a god.

I haven't covered nearly all my bases here, but for those who don't think even ritual is required for psychological health: imagine every holiday, birthday, and other celebration stripped from your life, and imagine utterly no recognition for any of your achievements, and tell me you would be happy.

tl;dr you can have the concept of "religion" without a deity
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/12/2012 17:24
  • Post subject:
Religious groups only have authority because they claim to be preaching the words of god. If you could prove that god doesn't exist then religious groups wouldn't have any credibility.

I'd imagine that if you could prove to someone that god doesn't exist then they would stop following religion. To believe in god is a prerequiste to genuinely following a religion, if you don't believe in god then you won't place any importance in anything that religion says.

Religion could still exist, but it would be very different. Without god religions like Christianity and Islam would be redundant.