Kanye West

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
AlexZangari

United States

• Posted: 12/15/2012 02:18
  • Post subject: Kanye West
Honestly, what am I supposed to be looking for? Why is this guy supposedly so great? I truly cannot see any significant musical distinction between him and every other dime-a-dozen rapper that's around these days. What's so unique about his style that sets him apart from the less-acclaimed ones? It pretty much all just sounds the same. I can't find the slightest hint of individuality or innovation in any of this.

• Posted: 12/15/2012 02:19
  • Post subject: Re: Kanye West
AlexZangari wrote:
Honestly, what am I supposed to be looking for? Why is this guy supposedly so great? I truly cannot see any significant musical distinction between him and every other dime-a-dozen rapper that's around these days. What's so unique about his style that sets him apart from the less-acclaimed ones? It pretty much all just sounds the same. I can't find the slightest hint of individuality or innovation in any of this.

I am not a Kanye fanboy by any means, but it sounds to me like you need to listen harder.
AlexZangari

United States

• Posted: 12/15/2012 02:21
lethalnezzle wrote:
I am not a Kanye fanboy by any means, but it sounds to me like you need to listen harder.

To WHAT?? That's what I'm trying to ask. What the hell am I looking for? Where is the "genius" in this?

• Posted: 12/15/2012 02:22
AlexZangari wrote:
To WHAT?? That's what I'm trying to ask. What the hell am I looking for? Where is the "genius" in this?

OK, listen to the beat to 'We Major'. If you still don't get it, you won't ever.
thejoj96

• Posted: 12/15/2012 02:23
  • Post subject:
have you ever listened to him
AlexZangari

United States

• Posted: 12/15/2012 02:31
  • Post subject:
thejoj96 wrote:
have you ever listened to him

Don't you talk to me.
thejoj96

• Posted: 12/15/2012 02:38
  • Post subject:

Link
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 12/15/2012 02:52
  • Post subject:
The thing I don't understand is why you're determined to force yourself to like an artist your ears reject. There are plenty of artists I can't stand and I simply don't listen to them. There is plenty of good music for me to discover that I'll like. Don't waste your time on anyone who isn't worth it.
  • Visit poster's website
thejoj96

• Posted: 12/15/2012 02:53
  • Post subject:
Jasonconfused wrote:
The thing I don't understand is why you're determined to force yourself to like an artist your ears reject. There are plenty of artists I can't stand and I simply don't listen to them. There is plenty of good music for me to discover that I'll like. Don't waste your time on anyone who isn't worth it.

this

• Posted: 12/15/2012 05:16
  • Post subject:
thejoj96 wrote:

Link

I just listened to this song and I hate this song and these are my reasons:

1) Begins with a cliche'd "uh yah" before beginning the opening chorus. There are no abstract qualities in beginning a song this way. There is no immersion. It doesn't pull you in. Just follows a trend that is popular with the kids (that's the only reason I can think of, anybody got a better one? I really want to why rappers do this and how it is supposed to improve the song in any way).

2) The "beat" is boring. Just a loop. Loops can be fine though, it depends whether it fits together with what is going on as a whole. I can't seem to figure out how the sampled vocal, the drum rhythm, and the lyrics and vocalization have to do with each other on an abstract level. I mean, Kanye uses words like "constellations" and "Jesus"... The sounds aren't married together. Again with number 1, the only reasoning I can see behind this is because the kids think it is catchy, and Kanye is talking about NOBLE things so the critics might think it is more arty somehow (am I missing something?).

3) Kanye's vocals have so little creativity I lose energy and motivation as I listen to it. I struggle to make it through this song.

4) Just as I can't take the repetitiveness and insulting simplicity of "dah ill beat" anymore (still missing something?), it finally changes and there's some chill piano and guitar. I am so relieved that for a second I thought I actually enjoyed it. It is played again at the end of the song for some reason, which takes away any freshness of it, or any sense of progression that part initially gave the song.

5) *insert guest appearance* towards end. This may be the thing I hate most about hip hop. Like most of the above, there are no artistic reasons for this. The song has versus and choruses, so I guess all Kanye has to do is leave one out for the guest... convenience! (whole damn song feels lazy) It seems to me that the real point is just to get two different artist names on the same song, so that fans of each can find out about the other. Rinse and repeat for at least half of your songs in each album and.... cha-ching!

Overall: IT IS FUUAACKING BOOOORINNNNGHHHAAA Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall

And for the other end of the spectrum, here's a song I see as good that has hip hop elements:

Link

Reasons why I call it good:

1) There is a real tone. It is dark and gritty.
2) Vocal creativity.
3) Actual emotional integrity.
4) Actual drumming (whether there is a real drum or not, I don't know, the point is that the drum sounds aren't in an obvious repetitive pattern).
5) The song has progression and feels like it's building.
6) No pointless guest appearance.

7) I can enjoy the song without understanding the lyrics, in contrast to Kanye who relies on lyrics since there is nothing else really going on.
8 ) Using Chrome's auto-translate, I see the words (description of video) fit the dark, grittiness of the song, such as "blood", "buried", "trembling", "ripped my flesh", "limbs", "torture", etc.

9) I FEEL something other than "I like this". For some reason, Meira's music makes me feel a bit sick. That's art.

[Also, song improves greatly in context of album]

So that's me objectifying music. I realize I'm being abrasive. Bite me Shocked