US/British critics: the lists a matter of nationality ?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
cartoken
The Seer

France
  • Posted: 01/02/2013 21:42
  • Post subject: US/British critics: the lists a matter of nationality ?
Just noticed that the US and the British critics don't agree about everything this year, especially about two albums: (the source is the top albums of 2012 by acclaimedmusic)

11. Apple, Fiona - The Idler Wheel is Wiser (US ranking: #2 but only 76# for the British critics)
14. Django Django - Django Django (US ranking #96, of course the British loved it: #4)
d'oh!

you've got the same difference in ranking for other albums too : The US loved (Beach House
, Killer Mike, Father John Misty, Miguel...etc) but the the UK preferred (The XX, alt-J, Actress, Hot Chip...etc)

... but both the US and the British critics agreed that Channel Orange is the best album of the year (the rest of the world too actually).

Of course the american critics love the american artist and the british the british artist.

Just wondering if the nationality factor is the only explanation ? cultural differences ?
what do you think ?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia
  • Posted: 01/02/2013 22:03
  • Post subject:
I agree nationality has something to do with it. Look at the end of year thread for triple j's list from listeners and most of the entries are Aussies and/or independent artists.

The list depends on the reader therefore genre, nationality and artist recognition/prestige/respect (Bruce in the Rolling Stone list, Tame Impala on the triple j list) all play a part.
  • Visit poster's website
ShaneSpear
Thread Killah

United States

• Posted: 01/02/2013 22:30
  • Post subject:
Quote:
14. Django Django - Django Django (US ranking #96, of course the British loved it: #4)

I don't know about the others, but I do know that Django Django came out about 5-6 months later in the US than it did in UK for some reason. Also, I know from watching a lot of Sky this year (soccer, wrestling, etc) that they used Django Django's Default as their commercial music for something or another for a while, so that saturation probably didn't hurt.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada
  • Posted: 01/03/2013 19:02
  • Post subject:
Critics are more aware than most, but much of it has to do with exposure. UK critics gain more exposure to UK artists, and the same with US critics with US artists.
teodor_matz

• Posted: 01/03/2013 19:45
  • Post subject:
The US critics have a better reason to ignore artist outside the US since the US is so big, and it therefore comes out more music from the US. In the UK you have like maybe 50 good, high profile, pop groups that are active, about 5 good rappers that anyone know who they are, 2 soul singers etc. In the US you have at least 10 times the good pop groups, 20 times the good rappers, and like 50 times the good soul singers (i'm just guessing here, but you know what i'm talking about). Therefore i think the US critics are more right in their listmaking.
  • Visit poster's website
thejoj96
  • Posted: 01/03/2013 21:18
  • Post subject:
critics want to support their country, therefore they will focus on acts from their country, whether they like the music or not.
sheep21

Australia
  • Posted: 01/03/2013 22:50
  • Post subject:
And in good ol Australia, the results are mixed. Triple J top albums are pretty much a 3rd american, 3rd british, 3rd Australian. Tame Impala came in at 1 of course.
Hayden

Canada
  • Posted: 01/03/2013 23:15
  • Post subject:
teodor_matz wrote:
The US critics have a better reason to ignore artist outside the US since the US is so big, and it therefore comes out more music from the US. In the UK you have like maybe 50 good, high profile, pop groups that are active, about 5 good rappers that anyone know who they are, 2 soul singers etc. In the US you have at least 10 times the good pop groups, 20 times the good rappers, and like 50 times the good soul singers (i'm just guessing here, but you know what i'm talking about). Therefore i think the US critics are more right in their listmaking.

Ya ^
Le_Samurai
  • Posted: 01/04/2013 00:31
  • Post subject:
To me, the US has a bigger difference in the focus of the more mainstream press and the more "indie" or "underground" or whatever you want to call it press. The UK critics seem to universally embrace both more mainstream and indie music, while the US critics have a greater divide. More mainstream press, like the god awful Rolling Stone and most newspapers, seem to be more hesitant to put more indie music on their charts, as they don't' carry the name recognition of the bigger, more classic artists. Meanwhile, the US indie press puts a greater emphasis on indie rock, but are now starting to more embrace mainstream music as well. Pitchfork's recent charts show this.
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 01/05/2013 00:09
  • Post subject:
I think it's the same for most music fans, not just critics. People are just more exposed to music from their own country than others. Even amongst BEA users the bias is clear.