Thank You everyone!

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 01/09/2013 22:36
  • Post subject: Thank You everyone!
I felt compelled to share with everyone my appreciation for you guys and the MUSIC I've been introduced to here. I might still be considered close-minded by some members here, but I have accepted new music through BEA. I just wanted to share some of the artists and albums that I discovered through BEA. I'm also curious to see if this site has certain albums that it tends to get people to listen to. What do you guys think about that idea?

Artists I've discovered here (not that I first heard of them here, but they first got me to listen to them): Captain Beefheart, The Clash, Bruce Springsteen, David Bowie, and The Velvet Underground.

Albums I've discovered (AND LOVE!!): Damn the Torpedoes, Who's Next, Highway 61 Revisited, Full Moon Fever, Born to Run, The Velvet Underground and Nico, London Calling, Ziggy Stardust.

Albums I've heard so much about but am skeptical to listen to simply because I know my taste(although that could change with time) and I think I should leave these albums to the people that will really appreciate them and I'm sure they are great for their particular style, it's just the style that I don't like: OK Computer, Funeral, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, Is This It, The Stone Roses, Loveless, Grace, Unknown Pleasures, Daydream Nation, Laughing Stock.

Now, as far as the Beatles go, I simply avoid them. This is probably a stupid move, but I've heard a few songs and some of it is catchy and some of it is interestingly psychedelic. Sadly, I'm just a bit of a hipster when it comes to the Beatles. I can't be part of the absurd amount of praise that they get. IF I ever give the Beatles a real shot, I definitely won't have so many of their albums within the top 25, like so many BEA members do.

I've only been here for a couple months and already my musical horizons have spread rapidly and I look forward to my future here and the other great music I will discover. Thanks for everything, everyone! I love all of you. Yes, even you Purple.
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 01/09/2013 22:49
  • Post subject: Re: Thank You everyone!
Jasonconfused wrote:
I've only been here for a couple months and already my musical horizons have spread rapidly

Same for me Very Happy

About the albums that this site highlights particularly, the first example that comes to my mind is obviously In The Aeroplane Over The Sea. I never saw anybody who've ever heard about it in real life, and here it is in the top 20 (or 30? I don't remember...) of all time. Others in the same situation are Marquee Moon, Loveless, and generally all highly charted albums by bands who had a short life / were underground at their time.
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 01/10/2013 03:30
  • Post subject:
This website furthered my interest in rap.

Also, it got me to listen to full albums instead of just a few songs.
Jasonconfused

United States

• Posted: 01/10/2013 03:48
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:

Also, it got me to listen to full albums instead of just a few songs.

It's interesting. BEA got you to listen to full albums. I came to BEA because it is album oriented. I was tired of only talking to people about music in terms of singles and just good songs.
I still have artists on my ipod with just one track, but I would never claim to like that artist like so many people do when they have their biggest hit.
  • Visit poster's website
creator

United States

• Posted: 01/10/2013 04:02
  • Post subject:
I haven't even been here a month... and I've already dropped so much money on new cds! Just had eight arrive today! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 01/10/2013 04:09
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:

And I furthered this website's interest in rap. You can all thank me in your own time. I accept cash, cheques or sexual favours.

I jest. I don't accept cheques.
Jasonconfused

United States

• Posted: 01/10/2013 04:27
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
And I furthered this website's interest in rap. You can all thank me in your own time. I accept cash, cheques or sexual favours.
I jest. I don't accept cheques.

I know that in some ways (but not all) you're joking, but that is kind of the role I wish to play for this site in terms of old school hard rock and metal.
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 01/10/2013 04:30
Jasonconfused wrote:
Yes, even you Purple.

All of my hate is just to make you more accepting of all music types. I'll have you know, most of the core members grew up on the RS 500, they just grew tired of it.
nutso42

• Posted: 01/10/2013 04:33
purple wrote:
All of my hate is just to make you more accepting of all music types.

Purple - The master of tough love

Razz
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 01/10/2013 04:35
purple wrote:
I'll have you know, most of the core members grew up on the RS 500, they just grew tired of it.

I'm not a core member by a mile, but Amen to that.
  • Visit poster's website