38%
 38%  [7]
Total Votes : 18

RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 03/09/2013 17:36
  • Post subject:
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Lord Buddha
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 03/09/2013 17:39
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
You gave the answer yourself. How many people would go to see a documentary. Art is not made just to please one's self but the public too. A lot of people were pleased by Argo and Lincoln hence the favorable reviews, awards and box office. Sorry if you thought you were attending a history lesson. Brick wall

We're talking about improvement of a piece of art not box-office. So do you agree we make a movie supposedly about Civil War in America and then to increase audience (using artistic license) bring Kim Kardashian to the scene to show her ass? Is that artistic license? a distortion of facts that tries to convince more people to see the movie?

If you don't want to actually talk about the movie in question (or you can't) let me talk about it. This movie disgustingly underplays Canadian diplomats' role in the rescue to show that only Americans can be hero. It disgustingly portrays Iranians as some bearded barbarians that only want to kill Americans. In the movie there's no Iranian humans, all there is, is caricatures to convince American populace that there's some nation out there that their only purpose is to kill Americans so that U.S. Congress can convince the nation is at stake and U.S. military budget is just innocently the highest in the world. And that airport scene which has never happened and the story about tickets is just made up to prove that Americans are really heroes without help from anyone (but in reality Canadians have bought those tickets beforehand). It's just a Hollywood propaganda ordered by CIA. What you call artistic license (distortion of facts) in this movie instead of improving its artistic merits, just makes it one of the shittiest thrillers in the world.

Last edited by Guest on 03/09/2013 17:44; edited 1 time in total
useless

• Posted: 03/09/2013 17:40
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Lord Buddha

So you admit you're biased. Thank you. That's all I needed to know.

Last edited by useless on 03/09/2013 17:54; edited 1 time in total
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 03/09/2013 17:41
  • Post subject:
We are all biased.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 03/09/2013 17:46
  • Post subject:
tekin wrote:
We're talking about improvement of a piece of art not box-office. So do you agree we make a movie supposedly about Civil War in America and then to increase audience (using artistic license) bring Kim Kardashian to the scene to show her ass? Is that artistic license? a distortion of facts that tries to convince more people to see the movie?

If you don't want to actually talk about the movie in question (or you can't) let me talk about it. This movie disgustingly underplays Canadian diplomat's role in the rescue to show that only Americans can be hero. It disgustingly portrays Iranians as some bearded barbarians that only want to kill Americans. In the movie there's no Iranian humans, all there is, is caricatures to convince American populace that there's some nation out there that their only purpose is to kill Americans so that U.S. Congress can convince the nation is at stake and U.S. military budget is just innocently the highest in the world. And that airport scene which has never happened and the story about tickets is just made up to prove that Americans are really heroes without help from anyone (but in reality Canadians have bought those tickets beforehand). It's just a Hollywood propaganda ordered by CIA. What you call artistic license (distortion of facts) in this movie instead of improving its artistic merits, just makes it one of the shittiest thrillers in the world.

You may feel it displays the art of propaganda, I feel it is entertainment. Yes gratuitous sex is included in many films to increase box office. Actors claim they do it only if the script calls for it.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 03/09/2013 17:47
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
You may feel it displays the art of propaganda, I feel it is entertainment. Yes gratuitous sex is included in many films to increase box office. Actors claim they do it only if the script calls for it.

Yeah, it would be weird if they did it if it wasn't in the script
  • Visit poster's website
useless

• Posted: 03/09/2013 17:53
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
You may feel it displays the art of propaganda, I feel it is entertainment.

You know it is propaganda, but since it's supportive of your opinions I guess, you're OK with it, even if it's done in a manipulative way (according to Tekin).

• Posted: 03/09/2013 17:55
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:

So why you won't go to the movie I just said. Won't you be pissed off if Iran made a movie like that and claimed it to be true:
tekin wrote:
I don't know how I've missed this statement by RFNAPLES. Artistic license, eh? What would you say if in the movie Lincoln, Abraham Lincoln was a person who had 1500 slaves himself, opposed abolitionism severely, led the country into a civil war and killed about 1 million people himself and died of Syphilis because of having excessive sex with his male slaves and btw invented gay Bukkake?

You also said this:
RFNAPLES wrote:
You gave the answer yourself. How many people would go to see a documentary.

Fahrenheit 9/11:
Budget=$6 million
Box office =$222,446,882

Lincoln:
Budget=$65 million
Box Office=$253,642,000
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 03/09/2013 18:16
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
Stop whinning

That has become you go-to lately when you're struggling to come up with anything else. I guess you can't name call anymore, since you criticized others for it...

I'm waiting for 'I know you are but what am I?' That's always a Naples favourite.

Anyway... Clearly you claim that you can separate fact from artistic depiction. Good for you. I wish all movie-goers were that savvy. Sad thing is that many movie-goers can't make that distinction. Consequently, they watch Argo, accept it as historical fact (or are inclined that way) and are left with an incorrect version of history.

Argo doesn't have to be 100% accurate. I'm just saying that it's shameful how inaccurate it was, especially for the best-picture winner, and especially since the inaccuracy may not have been necessary. This is not all or nothing - one can make a fictional movie more accurate without turning it into a documentary.
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 03/09/2013 18:33
  • Post subject:
We can't always save the ignorant. Should we stop producing cars because some ignorant people drive drunk? Any adult should know that movies are entertainment, not news or historical fact. Pray for those who don't.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website