• Posted: 08/16/2011 16:35
  • Post subject: Suspicious activity
[/img]
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia
  • Posted: 08/16/2011 16:46
  • Post subject:
Yep, obviously the same guy.. 100/100 for all the Coldplay albums + 5/100 for Kanye Laughing

I really don't get why people do this on BEA (by that I mean trying to bring the average rating of an album down), it doesn't even affect the overall ranking, it's just an "extra" statistics
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin
  • Posted: 08/16/2011 17:04
  • Post subject:
thank you, I'm not sure why people go to the trouble of doing this either. I suspect this won't be the only album they've done this to, so I'll have to check to see what other ratings they've tried to screw up.

What a pointless exercise by whoever it was, because if I find it's the same person, I'll delete their accounts.

EDIT: It's just that one album that has been down-rated and the Coldplay albums have been awarded maximum scores from all four user accounts. I'm going to keep the rent_boy account as that seems to be the main one, and delete the other three. If it happens again, the main account will be deleted as well. If everyone did this, the site would be pointless. Rolling Eyes
  • Visit poster's website
Xavygravy
  • Posted: 08/18/2011 06:44
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
thank you, I'm not sure why people go to the trouble of doing this either. I suspect this won't be the only album they've done this to, so I'll have to check to see what other ratings they've tried to screw up.

What a pointless exercise by whoever it was, because if I find it's the same person, I'll delete their accounts.

EDIT: It's just that one album that has been down-rated and the Coldplay albums have been awarded maximum scores from all four user accounts. I'm going to keep the rent_boy account as that seems to be the main one, and delete the other three. If it happens again, the main account will be deleted as well. If everyone did this, the site would be pointless. Rolling Eyes

With the ever-increasing number of users, do you have some kind of method of pinpointing users who try to screw up the system?
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin
  • Posted: 08/18/2011 10:05
  • Post subject:
yes, there are things in place here like IP address tracking etc. Generally, as well, people here are very good at reporting things like this, so this sort of thing is quite difficult to get away with for very long.
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam
  • Posted: 08/18/2011 10:15
  • Post subject:
I have one chart but others have more than one chart.

Just curious for I do not know.

Does having multiple charts screw up the ratings Question

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin
  • Posted: 08/18/2011 14:31
  • Post subject:
Multiple charts can screw things up because the same person could put their favourite album into ten different charts and thereby artificially inflate it's rank. The rule exists to keep things fair, it isn't there for any other reason. Also, this is BestEverAlbums.com, not SomeAlbumIveJustRemembered.com. Too many albums spoil the broth (or something like that).

People know about the one chart rule, but *still* create multiple charts (even after PMs). It is annoying because I have to have conversations like this to excuse people that are breaking the rules. People were yelling for ages to have 100 albums, and now they have it, so there's no excuse.

This isn't Discogs where we are listing every album known to man, and I don't see the point of trying to do that here, that's not what this site is about. So, there has to be a limit to make the site fit its concept.

In the not too distant future, things will change a bit with multiple charts per person (discussed elsewhere). Until then, I wish people could have a little bit of patience. It isn't fair on other people, and I might just get a bit stricter with it and start deleting these charts, if people don't remove them by themselves.
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam
  • Posted: 08/18/2011 15:13
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
Multiple charts can screw things up because the same person could put their favourite album into ten different charts and thereby artificially inflate it's rank. The rule exists to keep things fair, it isn't there for any other reason. Also, this is BestEverAlbums.com, not SomeAlbumIveJustRemembered.com. Too many albums spoil the broth (or something like that).

People know about the one chart rule, but *still* create multiple charts (even after PMs). It is annoying because I have to have conversations like this to excuse people that are breaking the rules. People were yelling for ages to have 100 albums, and now they have it, so there's no excuse.

This isn't Discogs where we are listing every album known to man, and I don't see the point of trying to do that here, that's not what this site is about. So, there has to be a limit to make the site fit its concept.

In the not too distant future, things will change a bit with multiple charts per person (discussed elsewhere). Until then, I wish people could have a little bit of patience. It isn't fair on other people, and I might just get a bit stricter with it and start deleting these charts, if people don't remove them by themselves.

Sounds good.

Thank you Albummaster.

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
JuicyJohnPink

United States
  • Posted: 08/19/2011 07:08
  • Post subject:
It is quite clear that this one person's opinion is much more important than the rest of ours. Being able to vote on your favorite albums is a very serious matter and there is an artist he kind of doesn't like, so I don't see what choice he has. What is he going to do, NOT get overly passionate and go out of his way to ruin the ratings on a website created for leisure purposes? I wouldn't stand for it.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada
  • Posted: 08/19/2011 13:03
  • Post subject:
Thanks albummaster Very Happy

Besides. That person must have very little taste in music Shame on you