Do you listen to the whole album?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: of your favs, to be a fav, do you have to enjoy the album as a whole?
Yes
91%
 91%  [51]
No
8%
 8%  [5]
Total Votes : 56

RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 01/14/2013 12:06
  • Post subject: Re: Do you listen to the whole album?
TracyJacks wrote:
I think a Top10 album shouldn't have one or two crap songs- if there are 2-3 crap songs on it (songs I really don't listen to and I skip), but the rest is great stuff,then it isn't a Top10 album,I would give them only 4 or 4.5 out of 5.
I think if there is a superb/brilliant/perfect album, it means that there are no crap songs on it, otherwise it would ruin the album and it wouldn't be make it to the Top10. And yes, for or me, a Top 10 album is a pure, amazing experience from the first to the last song.

it is all very subjective, but this is my opinion.

Thanks!
  • Visit poster's website
gtroda

• Posted: 01/14/2013 12:32
  • Post subject: Re: Do you listen to the whole album?
TracyJacks wrote:
I think a Top10 album shouldn't have one or two crap songs- if there are 2-3 crap songs on it (songs I really don't listen to and I skip), but the rest is great stuff,then it isn't a Top10 album,I would give them only 4 or 4.5 out of 5.
I think if there is a superb/brilliant/perfect album, it means that there are no crap songs on it, otherwise it would ruin the album and it wouldn't be make it to the Top10. And yes, for or me, a Top 10 album is a pure, amazing experience from the first to the last song.

it is all very subjective, but this is my opinion.

I agree with this

• Posted: 01/14/2013 14:58
  • Post subject:
I guess one of the criteria for albums in my chart is that I have to love the album the whole way through. It can have tracks that maybe aren't as good as the rest, but if there are tracks I feel I have to skip every time then it isn't one of my favourite albums. That said, that isn't like a conscious, set-in-tone criteria. It's just when I sometimes overhaul my chart, I'll think of an album and then go "ugh, but that one track is shit, I can't put that album in". If your criteria is different, fair fucks. Music is subjective. I think it's difficult to argue that an album is one of the best ever whilst also saying there are a couple of dud tracks, but if you love the rest of the album more than anything else ever then who am I to tell you you're wrong? Just make sure your chart is interesting and personal to you.

• Posted: 01/14/2013 17:29
  • Post subject:
Not in the sense that every song has to be great, but if there's a single song that you feel detracts from the album experience then it's questionable whether or not you can really call it a great album. I've debated whether or not to include Fragile by Yes on my chart for this very reason.
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 01/14/2013 17:33
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
do you skip songs when listening to your favorite album... is it ok to skip songs... does that make the album less awesome?or is the album an art form that needs to be respected?

1) No. 2) Yes. Listen to whatever you like however you like it. 3) Not particularly.
  • Visit poster's website
NMHohyeah

• Posted: 01/14/2013 17:48
  • Post subject:
I do think higher of an album that is entirely good. If I am making a best albums lost than I should enjoy the album as a whole. If I am making a list of my favorite songs it is a different story.
  • Visit poster's website
nutso42

• Posted: 01/14/2013 18:29
  • Post subject:
I only add an album if I enjoy listening to it as a whole.

For instance, I include Animals on my list, but not Dark Side of the Moon, despite DSOTM being somewhat better. It's just there's at least three songs I skip each time I hear it. However, Animals I can happily hear all the way through.
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 01/14/2013 18:31
  • Post subject:
I don't allow myself to skip tracks and I force myself to listen to the whole album no matter what.
  • Visit poster's website
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 01/14/2013 18:41
  • Post subject:
This is tough. The #1 album on my chart has the best guitar work I've ever heard and it albums means so much to me on a personal level, but there is ONE song on it that I'm not too crazy about. I'm not saying I have to skip it, but I just find it to be an average song. Should that disqualify it from being my #1 album? Or in my top 10??
  • Visit poster's website
JMan

• Posted: 01/14/2013 18:51
  • Post subject:
That depends. If the chart is about your favorite albums to listen to, and that album is your favorite, then it should be number #1. If it's a chart on what you think are the best albums you've heard and not your favorites, well, it's your call either way.

I do believe there's a huge difference between what's the best and what's someone's favorite. Say my favorite album was an album that practically nobody listens to, and has sucky songs, but it's still my favorite. That favorite album wouldn't be the best ever.

Last edited by JMan on 01/14/2013 18:52; edited 1 time in total