Is NME the best site for hearing alternative music?

View previous topic :: View next topic
ffudnebbuh
level 8

United States

• Posted: 12/18/2009 13:40
  • Post subject: Is NME the best site for hearing alternative music?
35 years ago, the magazine was a great reference for pop/rock music, I have been listening to NME's top 100 of the decade to expose myself to this music but don't know what the best site for alternative is..
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 12/18/2009 13:54
  • Post subject:
I really like to use nme as a music news site. Razz

As for albums, 8 out of 10 albums they give over 8/10 I find I dislike. Still I give this some of my time to find new suggestions. Listen to what they give high scores and if you like it then the nme is for you I suppose.

The thing I really dislike about the nme (the site) though is the Blogs. I avoid looking at that part. Seriously some of the writers ideas are outlandish.

I would think nme are a decent site for "alternative" overall... well whatever their definition of 'alternative' is... Confused (some seem to think 'alternative' is anything with guitars these days)
purple

• Posted: 12/18/2009 15:17
  • Post subject:
NME is pretty heavily skewed towards British bands, but then again who isn't skewed? and by British bands I mean britpop... (I think they favor britpop over british post-punk, wtf).

I personally enjoy pitchfork and mojo, some of their top picks are a little retarded but I think I like them better than NME.
purple

• Posted: 12/18/2009 20:33
  • Post subject:
Actually, I just checked out the mojo site and it's pretty lame; but they're top 100 chart is one of the better ones (but, not much competition when you've got Rolling Stone in the mix to make a really shitty list).

Pitchfork's still good though, I guess they're known for making alternative picks for the sake of being alternative though; but, since that seems to be what you're looking for, check out Pitchfork.com
telefunker

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/20/2009 10:08
  • Post subject:
to be honest, the vast majority of new music i've heard this past year has been via this site (maybe not new music then by the strictest sense of the word)
Alt-Rocker77

• Posted: 01/03/2010 02:19
  • Post subject:
Pitchfork's probably the best for Alternative, I tend to agree with their picks.
  • Visit poster's website
Freddie55

Canada

• Posted: 01/03/2010 07:56
  • Post subject:
Pitchfork is not my friend. They often push shit as chocolate!

I go to Metacritic for an informative variety of reviews though their aggregate score usually tastes like Pitchfork koolaid. I also have a look at Pitchfork, RS, AV Club and Paste for different perspectives. Every publication including RS, Pitchfork and NME skew the content of their articles, which artists they review and what rating they give in order to support the publication positioning and commercial interests.

I also have a look to see what KCRW is playing in the USA, CBC Radio 3 in Canada and Triple J in Australia. I f I want to read about indie live acts then I go to Brooklyn Vegan (www.brooklynvegan.com)
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website