Top 10 New Order Songs

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
purple

• Posted: 01/26/2013 02:10
  • Post subject: Top 10 New Order Songs
This thread is to discuss the sterogum list (link below), create your own top 10 New Order songs, or discuss New Order in general.

e.g.
How do you think New Order albums compare to Joy Division albums?
How do you think that New Order's overall career compares to Joy Division?
What are your opinions of New Order?
etc etc

http://stereogum.com/1244332/the-10-bes...r-songs...

My personal top 10 songs:
1. Leave Me Alone
2. Temptation
3. Ceremony
4. Thieves Like Us
5. All The Way
6. Love Less
7. Vanishing Point
8. Age Of Consent
9. Bizarre love Triangle
10. Blue Monday
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 01/26/2013 02:15
  • Post subject: Re: Top 10 New Order Songs
purple wrote:

1. Leave Me Alone

Same actually. Smile One of my favourite songs of the 80's too.
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 01/26/2013 02:22
  • Post subject:
I personally view New Order as on par with Joy Division. Joy Division had a more consistent career, but Joy Division's discography was also less than a quarter of New Order's. I feel that I could have two albums from each band on my charts at any one time: Closer/Unknown Pleasures and Technique/Substance 1987. When it comes to songs, I enjoy more songs from New Order than Joy Division. However, I've never loved a New Order album as much as I love Closer. Both bands (JD and NO) contributed to different genres that I am currently obsessed with, namely slowcore and synthpop.

Anyways, I view New Order as more of a singles band than an album band, albeit that Corruption Power & Lies, Technique, and Substance 1987 (a "legitimate" compilation) are all great albums, and Low Life and Movement are good. I just view Joy Division as more of an album band, especially on Closer, where the last three closing songs are thematically related and the opener explicitly acknowledges that it is an opener.

On another thought, is it reasonable to always compare New Order to Joy Division? Sure, they are more or less the same people, but should the three members that continued always be haunted by their past?

Let's get a decent discussion going on in the forums again.
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 01/26/2013 02:58
  • Post subject:
I absolutely adore New Order,they stand for something I truly believe in,make something beautiful out of tragedy/laugh in the face of adversity.They combine song writing and musicianship with dancey vibes like no one else.One of the best moments in my partying/clubbing life thus far was hearing Blue Monday come on in a club for the first time,I had been a massive JD and NO fan coming up to two years at the time and never having anyone to talk to about it(wasn't into forums at the time and my mates to this day don't fuck with "that indie shit"),then seeing a packed room of people going crazy like me,I don't know it was special.I don't think I'd ever want NO not to be associated with JD,if your past is that perfect why would you want to be disassociated with it,JD are the soul of NO.

1. The Village
2. All The Way
3. Leave Me Alone
4. Blue Monday
5. Krafty
6. Vanishing Point
7. Slow Jam
8. Paradise
9. Doubts Even Here
10. Dream Attack

To post an accurate top 10 would take me way too long,anyways,I did my best and tried to span all the albums.
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 01/26/2013 04:24
  • Post subject:
Both of Joy Division's albums (even Closer) were better than the best of New Order. There were some good moments on Substance though, they just weren't half as consistent overall (not that Joy Division were that consistent either).
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
ptaylor1989

United States

• Posted: 01/26/2013 05:00
  • Post subject:
Joy Division reins supreme but "Leave Me Alone" is my favorite from the eighties...

I'd love to go to a club and hear Blue Monday but SA isn't ready for all that, unfortunately.
thejoj96

• Posted: 01/26/2013 05:07
  • Post subject:
Power, Corruption (,) and Lies is my favo(u)rite New Order album.

• Posted: 01/26/2013 07:40
  • Post subject:
Another one of Manchester's finest...

1. Temptation
2. Run 2
3. Blue Monday
4. Age of Consent
5. Thieves Like Us
6. Ceremony
7. Shellshock
8. Round & Round
9. Leave Me Alone
10. Vanishing Point

• Posted: 01/26/2013 07:47
  • Post subject:
As to the JD v NO discussion... I always thought of them as quite different despite the fact most of the members were the same! Only 'Movement' is a bit of a throw back to JD, otherwise NO developed their own style and in the area of synthpop (and the much lamented Indie dance crossover), they were groundbreaking! For that reason I don't think it is fair to keep comparing them!

I personally prefer JD for reasons I am not going to discuss on a public forum... But I have a lot of love for NO and think they have produced some amazing music! I so struggled putting that top 10 together,.. And I am certain I have forgotten some favourites!
Borve Baunehoj

• Posted: 01/26/2013 11:34
  • Post subject:
Weird, while I haven't digged into their discography yet, I hardly remember a time before I knew and loved Age of Consent. Glorious song, and one with a bassline easy enough for me to nail it and feel badass while doing it