Fate tunes

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
badfaith

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 09/25/2009 13:14
  • Post subject: Fate tunes
Anyone read Vernon God Little?

Of interest is the concept of fate tunes.... Songs that attach themselves to a particular person, situation or experience in your recollections of life, and not just the good songs- sometimes songs you hate and detest, but will forever be synonymous (have I spelt that correctly?) with a certain time and place.

For me, Coldplay have a knack of releasing a song to coincide with the very worst times in my life, and so every time I hear a track by them, it's like they're trying to put the boot in or something... Bastards!
  • Visit poster's website
Charicature

United States
  • Posted: 09/25/2009 19:14
  • Post subject:
If I'm understanding correctly, then I'd guess the entirety of Soundgarden's Superunknown fits the bill for me.

I bought the album thinking I'd share it with my best friend and see what he thought of it. We had plans to get together the next day.

Couldn't get ahold of him on the phone, nor anyone else at his house the next day. Just figured maybe the family left town for an emergency.

The next morning another friend called me and asked me, "What's the deal with Craig? Is he dead?" It sounded preposterous - I told him I'd just talked to him two days before. After a brief conversation I go to the living room where my father and grandmother (who was visiting) were sitting and mention the oddity of the call. The response: "We thought you knew."

Then I listen to this album with songs like "The Day I Tried to Live" and "Fell On Black Days" and, well....I never bought it on CD when I upgraded my music collection. I still very rarely listen to the album even though I like the songs on it. Maybe once in five years.
badfaith

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 09/25/2009 23:09
  • Post subject:
Yep, I think your understanding perfectly... sadly.

Fuck.

Sorry to hear that.

Well, what do you say after hearing something like that?

the main reason I brought it up because everyone always talks about good times to good tunes, but really it's all kinds of times to all kinds of tunes- good, bad, or indifferent.

Codplay's Yellow was playing on the car radio on the way back from the hospital the last time I saw my uncle before he died of Asbestosis as me and my family drove home in otherwise stony silence. In my place was all over the media after I'd split with a significant other... and Speed of sound went to the top of the chart the day I was made redundant after 8 years service- my 30th birthday.

The one that's kind of strange though is Sgt. Pepper album.
I'd bought it on tape after being coerced into thinking it must be the greatest album of all time by people of an older generation through all my early years, but to be honest I couldn't connect with it at all.
But days after I had a mishap with a motorcycle and cracked my skull on the plastic visor above the front light... giving me amnesia.
So for a week I lay in Bed with my head swollen like a particulary hideous watermelon (it was anyway, but this made it more so!), dislocated shoulder, completely unable to remember anything, and I mean anything- My name, who I was, where I was, all of it.
Only flickers of this album, and particularly John Lennon's voice, you know that insistant, primal yearning quality he has on day in th life, lucy int he sky, and, oddly, lovely Rita seemed to have any relation to anyhting... it was like having something on the tip of your tongue, but I couldn't tell what. But I got to know that album very well over that week, it was like a breadcrumb trail back to my memory, bit by bit.

So my inclusion of it in my chart is more aknowledgement of it's personal importance to me, rather than I listen to it a lot, or like it more than other albums. I'm sure everyone has such stories about particular albums/tracks.

Perhaps a confessional thread should be started! ha ha ha!
  • Visit poster's website
Charicature

United States
  • Posted: 09/28/2009 17:04
  • Post subject:
Coincidentally, I was just at a wedding this Saturday - for the friend that called me that fateful Sunday morning to ask that bizarre question. Odd how things tie together, isn't it?

It's like how I was talking to someone a couple weekends ago and Peter, Paul, and Mary came up...then Mary Travers died a few days later.
Charicature

United States
  • Posted: 09/28/2009 17:27
  • Post subject:
badfaith wrote:
Yep, I think your understanding perfectly... sadly.

Fuck.

Sorry to hear that.

Well, what do you say after hearing something like that?

Thanks - it was 15 years ago now so not really a daily obsession anymore...but I still remember parts of that week like it was yesterday.

I was working 3rd shift at a 24-hour supermarket, and the Muzak would play all night and I'd be stocking the shelf in my aisle and hearing "There's Always Tomorrow" by Gloria Estefan (man I hate that song with a passion now), or "Linger" by The Cranberries. A lot of the music took on a painful significance for me then.
badfaith

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 09/28/2009 21:41
  • Post subject:
That's the thing though isn't it?.... How the music that has a positive significance for you, is seemingly hardly ever played a little while after release, but all the bad stuff pops out the blue on the radio to slap you in the face just when everything gets back to an even keel, and you least expect it.

Or some twat like me posting a topic like this to remind you... many apologies!
  • Visit poster's website
telefunker

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 09/30/2009 19:37
  • Post subject:
when i was 14 i would sing 'i want it that way' by the backstreet boys to get my girlfriend in the mood..

i heard it in a shopping mall the other day.. sent me on a weird nostalgic head trip as i perused the sandwich aisle in marks and spencers in search of a hoisin duck wrap..
badfaith

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 10/01/2009 13:15
  • Post subject:
I bet your "girlfriend" loves that track too.
  • Visit poster's website
badfaith

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 10/01/2009 13:16
  • Post subject:
...personally, I find prison slang quite charming.
  • Visit poster's website
telefunker

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 10/02/2009 15:05
  • Post subject:
i think you need a revolution of the imagination bro!