The albums that surprised you the most...

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
useless
  • Posted: 02/06/2013 18:34
  • Post subject: The albums that surprised you the most...
In other words, the albums that you didn't expect to impress you at all, or had heard very little about them, or even nothing at all, yet they had very strong impact on you from the first listen. Personally I'm still not very experienced within the popular music field (I've listened to less than 100 albums so far), but from the ones I've heard the biggest surprise was definitely Marquee Moon. In forums all around the web I had seen several discussions about Television but never managed to listen to them until I started listening to complete LPs. Among the albums that were on a kind of wish-list of mine was this. See No Evil starts to play-I liked it a lot, thought this was going to be really solid. But when Venus started, I realized I was in for something even more. The title track elevated it to another level, and then there was Guiding Light, which ensured to me that this was a masterpiece. From the first listen and so on by then, Marquee Moon is definitely one of my favorite albums-and one that hit me completely by surprise as well, obviously.

To clarify things, I'm not trying to reach some kind of verdict with this thread, but see instead if there are similar stories from other members in here.
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States
  • Posted: 02/06/2013 18:38
  • Post subject:
The White Album. I had been avoiding the Beatles for a long time and then I finally decided to listen to all of their albums. I listened to them in chronological order and enjoyed their music, but didn't see why they were considered the greatest band ever by so many people. Then I got to the White Album. Blew me away. Easily my favorite Beatles work.
  • Posted: 02/06/2013 19:10
  • Post subject:
Both of Oasis' first two albums, particularly the first. While the second one has some great tunes but has some very weak ones as well, the first is a stunningly consistent, quality album.
Behrus58

Iran
  • Posted: 02/06/2013 19:11
  • Post subject:
The album that surprised me the most ... maybe :
can - tago mago

Yeah I somehow agree with jason. The White album has 30 tracks and you expect to see a poor flow because of the high number ... but ... wow ! They did it ! Yeah some songs are poor but the way the album continues is amazing .
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair
  • Posted: 02/06/2013 19:39
  • Post subject:
Jasonconfused wrote:
The White Album. I had been avoiding the Beatles for a long time and then I finally decided to listen to all of their albums. I listened to them in chronological order and enjoyed their music, but didn't see why they were considered the greatest band ever by so many people. Then I got to the White Album. Blew me away. Easily my favorite Beatles work.

It's really great hearing this Very Happy
The Beatles deserve the respect they get from fans and critics, so it's a shame when people disregard them as being "boring" or "nothing special" - but I don't mean to turn this into another Beatles debate.

Untrue by Burial probably surprised me the most - that complex beats and samples could carry so much emotion really opened my eyes, I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did.
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru
  • Posted: 02/06/2013 20:03
  • Post subject:
Joanna Newsom's Ys. I expected some boring, pretentious folkish singer. Luckily I was wrong Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal
  • Posted: 02/06/2013 20:51
  • Post subject:
Kid A by Radiohead, I seriously though I would hate it because of how much I hate OK computer and a good amount of their discography, but I enjoyed it a lot and even have it on my 00's chart.
undefined
  • Posted: 02/06/2013 22:20
  • Post subject:
Screamadelica by Primal Sream. All I really knew about Primal Scream is that they were pretty influential and that Mani used to be in the band. Now I've been running Screamadelica practically nonstop for a week. Can't get enough of this album
Silver
  • Posted: 02/06/2013 22:23
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
Screamadelica by Primal Sream. All I really knew about Primal Scream is that they were pretty influential and that Mani used to be in the band. Now I've been running Screamadelica practically nonstop for a week. Can't get enough of this album

This.
JMan
  • Posted: 02/06/2013 23:39
  • Post subject:
I've got a few:

In Utero. It's an OK album. I was surprised at how none of the songs were really bad. They all had potential, but they were only OK.

Invisible Touch - Genesis. One of the cool ones. People said it wasn't great, but I tried it out because t had three songs I liked. I couldn't believe how underrated this album was.

I'll think of others.