WHERE'S THE ALBUM?

View previous topic :: View next topic
AfterHours

• Posted: 08/25/2006 00:31
  • Post subject: WHERE'S THE ALBUM?
Before I start, I do want to say that I really like this site. I like what it does and I enjoy its simplicity and logic.

There are a few points though that I am curious about:

I ranked Parable of Arable Land by Red Crayola 10th on My Chart, but it hasn't shown up. Can this function be improved? When I search google, or Allmusic, I find it almost instantly.

Also, it would be great if pictures could be found of some of the rarer albums on My Chart. Black Saint & the Sinner Lady, Trout Mask Replica, Faust, Desertshore and the aforementioned Parable of Arable Land don't show up, "image not available". Surely there are images of these available somewhere. I'd seen them across the internet before I purchased the albums. And the picture helps, in case someone becomes interested, and then wants to find the album.

Also, The Doors is the incorrect cover shot. The Doors album I'm listing here is the self-titled debut. I think the picture that is shown is a "best of" album or something.

Please let me know on this.

Thanks!
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 08/25/2006 07:23
  • Post subject:
Hi AfterHours, thanks for your valuable feedback and sorry you had a problem. If a new band is added to a chart that is not currently on the site, it has to be moderated for spelling and to confirm that it is not a duplicate of an existing band before it will appear on the site but unfortunately, it looks like this functionality is also making the band and album not appear on your chart when it should be.

The same things happens with the albums. After an album is added to the site that does not currently appear in any of the charts, the title is checked for spelling accuracy and potential duplication and the album art and the track-listings are fetched from Amazon. This process is currently run weekly and this means that new albums added to the site may have missing cover images for a few days until the weekly process is run. Occasionally, this process fetches the wrong album art as although the process is instigated manually the actual fetching process is automated (this can happen with albums that have similar titles.) If this happens and an error is spotted, the data or image is manually corrected. If the error is not picked up or reported it can lead to incorrect cover graphics or track-listings left on the site. An idea might be for us to add a 'Is this data wrong?' link or such-like to the bottom of each album or band page to enable easy reporting of incorrect data. Your feedback is appreciated as it highlights areas where we need to do better and the particular problems you have reported are now in the process of being rectified.

I hope you continue to find the site useful and sorry once again you had a problem.

EDIT:
1. Parable of Arable Land by Red Crayola now appears on the chart.
2. Graphics for nearly all of your albums are now on the site (these albums were not previously listed on the site which was why no album art was available.)
3. Doors cover shot corrected - thanks for pointing out the error.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 08/31/2006 01:13
  • Post subject: thanks!
Thanks for your help and explanations. I appreciate the changes!

The only thing left is the cover photo for Desertshore by Nico. Any luck with this? Is there any more info I can give you to help lead you to it?

Thanks again.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 08/31/2006 22:11
  • Post subject:
Hi AfterHours, cover shot is now available and sorry it took so long to be updated. The album looks superb by the way, I didn't know that Nico had done such a great album outside the Velvet Underground so I'm looking forward to getting hold of a copy and having a listen ..
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 08/31/2006 23:50
  • Post subject: Desertshore
Great, thanks for the reply.

Needless to say, the album is superb. One of the most poignant, touching and heartbreaking albums ever made.

I'd love to get some feedback from you after you've listened to it a few times!
  • Visit poster's website