Musicals & Cast Recordings

View previous topic :: View next topic
Fergenaprido

Canada

• Posted: 02/06/2013 07:19
  • Post subject: Musicals & Cast Recordings
Hello.

I think there should be some sort of consensus on how musical cast recordings are added to the site.
Exhibit A: composer & lyricist listed as Artist
Exhibit B: 'Various Artists' listed as Artist
Exhibit C: 'The Original Broadway Cast' listed as Artist

I'm not sure which option I prefer, as I usually refer to musicals by their composers (i.e. a Stephen Sondheim or Andrew Llloyd Webber musical), but it's true that they're not the actual ones performing. And having OBC as the artist looks strange to me, but on the other hand it would be a useful way to separate musicals from other compilations and soundtracks by various artists. This may be related to this thread about classical recordings.

Also, in the titles of these shows, should we be putting '(Original Broadway Cast Recording)' and the like in the album title or not? Because again, it's inconsistent across the site (I guess the same discussion should be had about including '(Original Soundtrack)' for film compilations).

Thanks.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 02/06/2013 12:41
  • Post subject: Re: Musicals & Cast Recordings
Fergenaprido wrote:
Hello.

I think there should be some sort of consensus on how musical cast recordings are added to the site.

I'm not sure which option I prefer, as I usually refer to musicals by their composers (i.e. a Stephen Sondheim or Andrew Llloyd Webber musical), but it's true that they're not the actual ones performing. And having OBC as the artist looks strange to me, but on the other hand it would be a useful way to separate musicals from other compilations and soundtracks by various artists. This may be related to this thread about classical recordings.

Also, in the titles of these shows, should we be putting '(Original Broadway Cast Recording)' and the like in the album title or not? Because again, it's inconsistent across the site (I guess the same discussion should be had about including '(Original Soundtrack)' for film compilations).

Thanks.

Not all musicals are by the Original Broadway Cast, some actually come out of London, etc. The title of the album should be what the label says it is. Soundtracks should either be the conductor, artist, or various depending upon the situation.

The problem will be solved if and when we have genres on BEA. Then you will be able to recognize musicals from soundtracks and various composites.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 02/07/2013 11:44
Fergenaprido wrote:
Hello.

Thanks.

It's not very clear sometimes what to use. The Original Broadway Cast is not really an 'artist' as such (as we know it elsewhere), and the whole composition/membership could change in between albums, which could be decades apart but still perhaps this is useful as a 'container' to collect like albums together. Using the composer as the performer is also not strictly correct since different albums of the same work could be performed by different people. I think the Various Artist option is probably more 'correct' in some instances than the others. It's difficult to get this right consistently when there are so many possibilities of doing things.

I also agree it might be useful to capture a 'soundtrack' attribute in the same way that we currently have compilations (a 'live' attribute has also been previously suggested.)
  • Visit poster's website
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 02/07/2013 16:21
Fergenaprido wrote:
Hello.

I've noticed this as well...

Is there anyway we can link them together?

Thanks.