Unreset for AotD

View previous topic :: View next topic
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 02/11/2013 00:02
  • Post subject: Unreset for AotD
Dear Albummaster,

You've been doing a wonderful job with the site overall, but I think you made a huge demographic mistake regarding the Album of the Day reset.

As you may have realized, most of the veteran users here are WAYYYY past the level of OK Computer and Abbey Road, and would prefer to discuss more obscure albums each day. Going back to these conversations is just feeding the trolls for all eternity.

I hope you keep this in mind, AM. Thank you so much.
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 02/11/2013 00:11
  • Post subject:
Agreed, I loved the obscure albums so i could explore more music, going to the already well known albums is just annoying.
thejoj96

• Posted: 02/11/2013 00:20
  • Post subject:
"About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety."

albummaster doesn't choose what albums are AOTD. They are picked by machine. But I would like to go back to more obscure albums.
Happymeal

• Posted: 02/11/2013 00:22
  • Post subject:
thejoj96 wrote:
"About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety."

albummaster doesn't choose what albums are AOTD. They are picked by machine. But I would like to go back to more obscure albums.

I don't want to be unfair to certain albums, but I would love it if he set it to albums outside of the top 100 if you know what I mean.
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 02/11/2013 01:39
  • Post subject:
thejoj96 wrote:

I know that. But can't he re-tweak the machine to start at #777 or something?
  • Visit poster's website
gtroda

• Posted: 02/11/2013 04:18
  • Post subject:
Not everyone has heard or discussed all these albums before. The last 2 albums of the day have gotten these type of comments but I personally had never listened to either of them before. The fact that they are apealing to so many has actually made me interested enough to search them out.

The last few days there have been pages and pages of replies to the album of the day for the first time in a long time. This shows a lot of interest.

Keep in mind there are a lot more people that use this site than the 30 or so that seem to dominate the forums.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 02/11/2013 07:58
  • Post subject: Re: Unreset for AotD
Applerill wrote:
Dear Albummaster,

You've been doing a wonderful job with the site overall, but I think you made a huge demographic mistake regarding the Album of the Day reset.

As you may have realized, most of the veteran users here are WAYYYY past the level of OK Computer and Abbey Road, and would prefer to discuss more obscure albums each day. Going back to these conversations is just feeding the trolls for all eternity.

I hope you keep this in mind, AM. Thank you so much.

The AOTD has a 720 day 'no repeat' so it's not a conscious decision to put these back, it's just a result of the no repeat period elapsing for a few albums that have already appeared. Yes, some albums have been discussed before, but newer members might not have seen them discussed before and existing members can have a fresh debate with these people (the active membership has changed quite a bit over the last couple of years). Let's see how it pans out over the next week and if it needs tweaking because people are finding it boring, it can be.
  • Visit poster's website
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 02/11/2013 08:09
  • Post subject: Re: Unreset for AotD
albummaster wrote:
The AOTD has a 720 day 'no repeat' so it's not a conscious decision to put these back, it's just a result of the no repeat period elapsing for a few albums that have already appeared. Yes, some albums have been discussed before, but newer members might not have seen them discussed before and existing members can have a fresh debate with these people (the active membership has changed quite a bit over the last couple of years). Let's see how it pans out over the next week and if it needs tweaking because people are finding it boring, it can be.

Not only that but 720 days is a long time. The people that already commented on it could have changed opinions of that album.