Include an album on a chart from the album page

View previous topic :: View next topic
Robert Anton Wilson
Epic Proghead

Canada

• Posted: 02/11/2013 21:36
  • Post subject: Include an album on a chart from the album page
Pardon me if this has already been discussed.

What about the possibility to add an album from this album's page, without having to open the chart, or charts, I want it in. On the album page there is a button saying "add this album to my chart", you click the button it asks you which chart (with the inappropriate ones shadowed, e,g, wrong year, like options are proposed to us about existing albums when we enter a band's name), then it asks you for what rank you want it in (this last option could be skipped, it could automatically send it last and this would already be a game changer).

This topic sort of links with the auto-fill option which has already been suggested. In my mind, auto-fill would be less important if albums could be entered in multiple charts from the album page rather than the charts page.

It might also be seen as related to "Show a list of possible entries for your chart " which is on the 2013 roadmap.

You see an album you like, you add it in from the album's page. Makes it easier to populate your year chart, just browse the overall year chart and select the albums you want and send them to your relevant charts. Might make it too easy though. Nah! It never gets too easy. Being able to add albums to your chart from the already existing overall charts appears to me as a better option than showing options of possible entries on the chart because the number of possible entries is always going to be exhorbitant (unless I did not understand what that suggestion was truly about).

Easy as pie for a user, from a site code point of view though I do not know.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 02/12/2013 16:15
  • Post subject: Re: Include an album on a chart from the album page
Robert Anton Wilson wrote:
What about the possibility to add an album from this album's page, without having to open the chart, or charts, I want it in. On the album page there is a button saying "add this album to my chart", you click the button it asks you which chart (with the inappropriate ones shadowed, e,g, wrong year, like options are proposed to us about existing albums when we enter a band's name), then it asks you for what rank you want it in (this last option could be skipped, it could automatically send it last and this would already be a game changer)....
Easy as pie for a user, from a site code point of view though I do not know.

This sounds a great idea, just thinking through any potential problems and I can't think of many, except the issue of what position in a chart to add it to might get tricky if you added multiple albums from the same page of the overall chart (for example), or if your existing overall/decade/year/custom chart was already at the maximum size (or didn't exist yet). It might be better if the album was just sent to the end of your chart (or a 'pool' outside of your chart), and then you could re-arrange/add the albums from the pool into your chart when you next make an edit (the albums could be unranked). This is probably the most workable idea so far around this theme, and there's definitely potential here to do something with a little more brainstorming.
  • Visit poster's website
Robert Anton Wilson
Epic Proghead

Canada

• Posted: 02/12/2013 20:20
  • Post subject:
if you added multiple albums from the same page of the overall chart (for example),
=> If the button would be per album, then they would go in one at a time.

or if your existing overall/decade/year/custom chart was already at the maximum size
=> It could send you a message telling you so or maybe have the options shaded.

(or didn't exist yet).
=> It could create it (he he he I am demanding here) or send you a warning to that effect. This chart does not exist, please crate first. Though a chart creates itself only when you enter your first album to it I think so by clicking the button to add to that chart wouldn't it create that chart automatically. easier for me to dream up than for you to code i guess.

It might be better if the album was just sent to the end of your chart
=> From a user point of view, that would already be amazing.

(or a 'pool' outside of your chart),
=> That also would be cool if it is workable for you. Appears more difficult for me but I am not the one doing it. This could be what (or one of the things that) fills your recommendation for this chart which I think is on your 2013 roadmap.

and then you could re-arrange/add the albums from the pool into your chart when you next make an edit (the albums could be unranked).
=> Yes, that would be amazing. Fill it from outside charts or album pages but rank it from inside the chart. Makes perfect sense. If I decide to send an album to my chart from the overall chart, how would I know where it goes on the destination chart without actually going to the destination chart?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 02/13/2013 16:53
  • Post subject:
Robert Anton Wilson wrote:
if you added multiple albums from the same page of the overall chart (for example),
=> If the button would be per album, then they would go in one at a time.

or if your existing overall/decade/year/custom chart was already at the maximum size
=> It could send you a message telling you so or maybe have the options shaded.

(or didn't exist yet).
=> It could create it (he he he I am demanding here) or send you a warning to that effect. This chart does not exist, please crate first. Though a chart creates itself only when you enter your first album to it I think so by clicking the button to add to that chart wouldn't it create that chart automatically. easier for me to dream up than for you to code i guess.

It might be better if the album was just sent to the end of your chart
=> From a user point of view, that would already be amazing.

(or a 'pool' outside of your chart),
=> That also would be cool if it is workable for you. Appears more difficult for me but I am not the one doing it. This could be what (or one of the things that) fills your recommendation for this chart which I think is on your 2013 roadmap.

and then you could re-arrange/add the albums from the pool into your chart when you next make an edit (the albums could be unranked).
=> Yes, that would be amazing. Fill it from outside charts or album pages but rank it from inside the chart. Makes perfect sense. If I decide to send an album to my chart from the overall chart, how would I know where it goes on the destination chart without actually going to the destination chart?

Lots to think about! I'm definitely wanting to do something along these lines and it does fit into the plans for 2013. This sounds quite do-able, and I'm think the idea of a 'pool' would be more workable where you can then work the albums from your pool into your chart the next time you edit it, so you don't have to decide the ranking 'blind' (without seeing the existing entries in your chart). Perhaps there could also be a few indicators on the 'my charts' page to flag up any charts that have unranked albums (as a prompt/reminder for the user).
  • Visit poster's website