Featuring.. In Song Titles

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Jabapac

Bahrain

• Posted: 02/12/2013 09:24
  • Post subject: Featuring.. In Song Titles
Hi

I think that "featuring"s show on song titles are too annoying and make them look bad and inelegant, as they found mostly in Rap albums and few others too. so why not just get rid of them?
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 02/12/2013 16:07
  • Post subject:
Not a big fan of this either, I think it looks cleaner without, but some tracks are listed on the artwork with featured artists as part of the title and others aren't. In those cases it probably looks neater to put the featured artist in brackets after the title where the featured artist is not credited as part of the album as a whole e.g. Track Name (feat. Artist Name). BEA doesn't have a field to capture featured artists separately at the moment. It's probably something worth adding at some point. I'd also like to see track lengths and a few other things as well, but all this extra input creates extra work, so it's always a bit of a trade-off here.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 02/12/2013 16:25
  • Post subject: Re: Featuring.. In Song Titles
Jabapac wrote:
Hi

I think that "featuring"s show on song titles are too annoying and make them look bad and inelegant, as they found mostly in Rap albums and few others too. so why not just get rid of them?

As a hip-hop fan I am 100% against this. Getting rid of them should not be an option. I'd find it insulting to the artists.
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 02/12/2013 17:19
  • Post subject: Re: Featuring.. In Song Titles
lethalnezzle wrote:
As a hip-hop fan I am 100% against this. Getting rid of them should not be an option. I'd find it insulting to the artists.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 02/12/2013 18:08
  • Post subject:
"Featuring" (...and this is a new thing, coming from hip hop) is a way for artists to "shout out" to the person who agreed to appear on a track. I suppose that paying them isn't enough...or listing them in the album credits isn't either.

"Featuring" is also a way for artists to place a piece of advertising onto their tracklists. People are more likely to listen to the song "Bitches" by MC Pooper if the track is marketed as "Bitches (feat. SNOOP DOGG).

Ultimately, a musician who plays on a song is not part of the song title, and shouldn't be included on the track listing. It's kinda tacky. Just because someone happens to rap a couple of lines in a song, or play bass, or diums, or a guitar solo, or sing harmony on the chorus...does that mean that they are entitled to be part of the song title?

Please say no to "feat." as part of song titles. It's tacky, and those who do it should find it embarrassing. No musician should ever have their name included in a song title...unless the song is about them, not because they contributed something to the recording. It's foolish.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 02/12/2013 18:12
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
"Featuring" (...and this is a new thing, coming from hip hop) is a way for artists to "shout out" to the person who agreed to appear on a track. I suppose that paying them isn't enough...or listing them in the album credits isn't either.

"Featuring" is also a way for artists to place a piece of advertising onto their tracklists. People are more likely to listen to the song "Bitches" by MC Pooper if the track is marketed as "Bitches (feat. SNOOP DOGG).

Ultimately, a musician who plays on a song is not part of the song title, and shouldn't be included on the track listing. It's kinda tacky. Just because someone happens to rap a couple of lines in a song, or play bass, or diums, or a guitar solo, or sing harmony on the chorus...does that mean that they are entitled to be part of the song title?

Please say no to "feat." as part of song titles. It's tacky, and those who do it should find it embarrassing. No musician should ever have their name included in a song title...unless the song is about them, not because they contributed something to the recording. It's foolish.

Agreed. It's worse than Tyler Perry putting his name in the title of all his TV shows.
JMan

• Posted: 02/12/2013 18:18
  • Post subject:
I like the "feat." It lets peope know if singers they like are in the songs.
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 02/12/2013 18:20
  • Post subject:
JMan wrote:
I like the "feat." It lets peope know if singers they like are in the songs.

Why only feature the singers? And why not just put them in the credits? Limit the song title to the song title.

• Posted: 02/12/2013 19:21
  • Post subject:
Seriously Romanelli, your post is backwards and downright insulting. Don't speak about things you know nothing about. You should be ashamed.
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 02/12/2013 19:56
  • Post subject:
If that's how it's listed on the jewel case, as far as I'm concerned that's what it should be listed on the site.