Some Nights by fun....

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Do you think the albums 'Some Nights' and 'The Wall' have simular themes?
Yes, they are very simular!
0%
 0%  [0]
Sort of... but what they share can be said about many music albums.
7%
 7%  [1]
No, not at all!
84%
 84%  [11]
I have another interpretation (please specify)
7%
 7%  [1]
Total Votes : 13

Kiki

• Posted: 02/08/2013 19:56
  • Post subject: Some Nights by fun....
... I just love the album. I love it for the same reason I love 'The Wall' by Pink Floyd. I love 'The Wall' in the same vein 'The Bell Jar' is one of my favorite books of all time.

Despite being fiery and 'The Wall' being a sterile piece, almost hospital like in places, they both share something equally appealing to me. I'll run down a few bullet points. Remember these are my personal interpretations, here goes:

- Both albums are about a superstar. The singer/lyricists are far from my mind and I instead imagine the character they are portraying bring the artist.

- Both contain a narrative of what they are doing. The 'Some Nights' superstar is very much like John Lennon (Hey, you could even pretend he is John Lennon if you want to!) while 'The Wall' superstar (named Pink, the other one doesn't have a name because fun. didn't intend them to have a name) is troubled drugged Demi god who... lost his father at a young age and erm... pushed away his first wife while also suffering fr... from violent outbursts and... this is starting to sound awfully a lot like someone else... Confused

- Both contain stories about their past. 'Carry On' , 'It Gets Better', 'Another Brick In The Wall 1&2', 'Mother' etc etc

- Both take place right before a concert! 'Some Nights' Intro and 'In The Flesh?' are about what the superstar is thinking before going out to the concert while the 'Some Nights' song and 'In The Flesh' are when they get on stage.

- Both are about troubled people who can't form attachments! 'Some Nights' superstar says he's "given every person a good reason to go" while the Pink builds The Wall to keep others out of his life. Maybe the 'Some Nights' superstar is building The Wall as the night goes on?

- Both lose the plot in the end. Pink goes crazy after messing up a concert (where he went crazy) and thinks he's a leader or something. Not sure if he survives... but I know the 'Some Nights' superstar doesn't. The song 'Stars' is a dying dream after he overdoses on drugs. You can tell by how the track is all messed up and doesn't fit at all. He's crossing the otherside so to speak. Either that or it is the dying dream of John Lennon after he got shot. 'Stars' are up in the sky so it could be a metaphor for going up in the sky. Heaven is usually said to be up in the sky.

I'm still fleshing the ideas out. Am I making sense so far? What do you think about it all?
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 02/08/2013 22:51
  • Post subject:
And the white coats come into BEA....
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 02/08/2013 23:06
  • Post subject:
I actually loved the song "Fun Nights", but hated the rest of the album.
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 02/08/2013 23:21
  • Post subject:
I love the wall, it's one of my favorite albums of all time. Amazing

As for Fun I heard a couple of their songs on TV and the radio and such, thought it was extremely mediocre, some of my friends urged me to listen to their album "Some Nights" and I could barely get through one listen. It was just so "lets not care about the music and just make an album that will have good sales" Bleh.
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 02/09/2013 07:22
  • Post subject:
I'm intrigued, I'll give Some Nights a listen an see what I think.
thejoj96

• Posted: 02/09/2013 07:24
  • Post subject:
They have very similar themes and provoke a very similar reaction from me. They are both great albums on the same level of greatness.
WrathchildIX

Russia

• Posted: 02/09/2013 16:10
  • Post subject:
Хуй знает, я не знаю английский на столько хорошо. Оба альбома хорошие, кстати . Но стена круче ИМХО Cool Сорри за русский спам Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 02/09/2013 17:02
  • Post subject:
WrathchildIX wrote:
Хуй знает, я не знаю английский на столько хорошо. Оба альбома хорошие, кстати . Но стена круче ИМХО Cool Сорри за русский спам Laughing

No need to apologize. Anyone here can translate this. I wouldn't want a possibly interesting opinion on here stifled because of language barriers.
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 02/09/2013 19:04
  • Post subject:
thejoj96 wrote:
They have very similar themes and provoke a very similar reaction from me. They are both great albums on the same level of greatness.

Wow, that's the first time I've heard that.
  • Visit poster's website
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 02/09/2013 19:08
  • Post subject:
MrFrogger wrote:
It was just so "lets not care about the music and just make an album that will have good sales" Bleh.

It never ceases to amaze me when people have the strange opinion of "their music is commercially successful so they must not care about their music and just sell out to the masses"

It's a weird world we live in.
  • Visit poster's website