What kind of album notes do you prefer?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: What kind of album notes do you prefer?
Personal, subjective notes
55%
 55%  [15]
Objective, formal notes
0%
 0%  [0]
Best track(s): "the best track" (RFNAPLES-style)
11%
 11%  [3]
Empty notes (let the albums speak for themselves)
0%
 0%  [0]
Drunken album notes
18%
 18%  [5]
RYM negative comments plagiarism
7%
 7%  [2]
Rolling Stone reviews plagiarism
0%
 0%  [0]
Mother Nature's Son-style
0%
 0%  [0]
JMan-style
3%
 3%  [1]
Notes that have nothing to do with the actual album
3%
 3%  [1]
Total Votes : 27

Mother Nature's Son

Denmark

• Posted: 02/16/2013 22:39
  • Post subject: What kind of album notes do you prefer?
I'm talking about the notes you write on your chart(s).

So what do you prefer people write about the different albums on their charts? Do you prefer people to make objective (NOTHING TO DO WITH GREATNESS!!) reviews/observations about each album or is it more interesting/informative to hear about each person's personal point of view, their history/nostalgia with them, etc.? Or do you just want to see what they think is the greatest track(s), so you can disagree in evil anger?

I'm curious to know since I don't know what kind of notes I should write in my charts.
Kiki

• Posted: 02/16/2013 22:55
  • Post subject:
I like the personal ones! Smile

Mother Nature's Son, I'm sure you wrote things on your chart before. I remember you wrote something about Figurines.
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 02/16/2013 22:55
  • Post subject:
Honestly I just wish more people bothered to say something, anything, about the album. That makes a chart more interesting to me than diversity does.

Then again.. JMan style is pretty entertaining as well. Lets look at some of the funnier ones.

"An album with more downs than ups. Knockin' on Heaven's Door was a very good cover, but the rest of the album is either OK or bad."

"Not to be a grumpy-gus, I don't think it's a great album. It's only on my chart because the first half is good. But this will NOT be high on my list. Just because it's an important album, it doesn't mean it's a good one. Hitler was important, but was he a good guy? I'm not saying this album is as bad as freakin' Hitler, because it has good songs in it. nowhere near! But the album isn't one of the greats to me."

"Great pop. Strangely, Cher's deep voice can hit some pretty high notes. I'm surprised that this album wasn't on BEA when I joined. I had to add it. This website has been around for seven years, and nobody put the highest-selling Cher album, CHER of all people, a 20,000,000 copies album, on this website. I was weirded out, man. So I added it, and I hope all those fans of pop will listen to the album I added to this website. Same with the 22 track Phantom of the Opera CD. I grew up with this album, and I have to say it's a really good pop album. Of all the users here, I would know. I added the album."
sheep21

Australia

• Posted: 02/16/2013 23:06
  • Post subject:
Drunken notes would be good. Or maybe, a mix of JMan and drunk.

eg. This album is rrrrrrrrreallly OK. It's bettta wid scotch. Iz baaaaaad album. I listen to one song, therefore it must be rrrrrwwdsefsrefeally baaaaaaaaaaaaad.
Happymeal

• Posted: 02/16/2013 23:28
  • Post subject:
My old notes were more personal and had a longer story to them, but I just read them and didn't think they were good so i am attempting to change all my notes to something I could appreciate myself. My current notes for the ones I have changed, well I don't like them that much either. I don't know, but I do prefer more personal notes.

EDIT: But Jman's notes are the best.
thejoj96

• Posted: 02/16/2013 23:35
  • Post subject:
joj-style will become a new thing in the next few minutes
edit: top 10 updated with joj-style
pearljammer13
Young Pilgrim

United States

• Posted: 02/17/2013 00:05
  • Post subject:
I like personal notes. I just tend to describe what it is I like about each album on my chart, and then I list favorite songs. But yeah any notes are good...just like seeing some sort of explanation for why it's there.

And obviously JMan's are the best. Calling albums on his "greatest albums" chart not good and what not. Only JMan can pull that off.
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 02/17/2013 00:31
  • Post subject:
I prefer reading personal notes. Writing personal notes, however, is an onus. They consume much time to write well; they may convey too much of a part of me I might not want public; they make it awkward when you want to share your chart with friends and you've got perhaps too personal stories in your notes. When I read truly personal notes, and the notes strike me more than the album, I feel ashamed for not respecting that album more. Perhaps someone considers an album their soundtrack to an attempted suicide; as a commiserative human being, you should respect that, but you're not going to consider that album as greater, simply because of that person's feelings. Whatever this conflict is, it is distressing. So currently, I've decided to just include my favorite track, since often enough that deviates from most others' favorites and might prove interesting.
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 02/17/2013 00:34
  • Post subject:
I use quotes that I feel either invest the feeling of the album or that I just really enjoy from it. Check out my chart!
  • Visit poster's website
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 02/17/2013 00:44
  • Post subject:
I tried to make notes several times,but I was never able to convey how I really feel about my favorite albums.I eventually settled for a 'Soundtrack for ....' idea,which I tried to have as both humorous and personal,but I'm kind of sick of it now and I don't think it does some of the albums justice.
  • Visit poster's website