14%  [7]
Multiple albums per artist
85%
 85%  [40]
Total Votes : 47

Shadow23

Denmark

• Posted: 02/15/2013 16:47
  • Post subject: Charts: 1 album pr artist or not?
I think this has been a major point of discussion in the comments to various charts. What is the "best" chart? Thise with only one album/artist or with multiple albums/artist? And more important - why?

Personally, I prefer charts with multiple albums/artist, as they, as I see it, shows the true feelings and opinions of a person. Of course, everybody listens to different artists, but usually they like more than one album by their favourite artists. The 1 album/artist charts also, as I see it, reveals the persons favourite artists, not albums. But what do you think? Smile

• Posted: 02/15/2013 16:50
  • Post subject:
Mine is limited to two albums per artist, but I'm going to reorganise soon so it's one per artist. I just think it's really boring looking at charts where the same artists crop up over and over again. It may be a truer representation of that person's tastes, but it's still boring as fuck to read through.
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 02/15/2013 16:51
  • Post subject:
It depends on your chart... I usually wouldn't want to limit myself, but if my chart had 11 Beatles albums, it would be bland.
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 02/15/2013 17:02
  • Post subject:
I think the real answer here is that the best chart has more obscure picks. Keep it conservative and it won't be considered one of the better charts. I think it comes down to people not really going to charts to see what your favorite albums are, as much as they are going to your chart to get some interesting recommendations.
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 02/15/2013 17:03
  • Post subject:
If an artist has many great albums, they should be recognized for that.

Although on my chart I have only 1 each in the top 10, to show as much variety at first glance as possible.
  • Visit poster's website
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 02/15/2013 17:05
  • Post subject:
i think the best answer is: if you're charting your favorite albums, then it doesn't matter how many times an artist appears on that chart. The truth is the truth.
  • Visit poster's website
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 02/15/2013 17:07
  • Post subject:
MrFrogger wrote:
If an artist has many great albums, they should be recognized for that.

Although on my chart I have only 1 each in the top 10, to show as much variety at first glance as possible.

That was one of my main rules that I followed for so long... then I realized I was lying to myself and was too concerned with what others thought about my chart.. so that changed. Now I have repeat artists in my top ten, and while it looks less eclectic, I feel happier about it Smile
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 02/15/2013 17:09
  • Post subject:
Jasonconfused wrote:
That was one of my main rules that I followed for so long... then I realized I was lying to myself and was too concerned with what others thought about my chart.. so that changed. Now I have repeat artists in my top ten, and while it looks less eclectic, I feel happier about it Smile

I state it up front, so I feel as though I'm not really cheating myself out of everything, of anything I like it more that I can look at my chart and see such a variety, and spread as many great albums as possible.
  • Visit poster's website
gtroda

• Posted: 02/15/2013 17:10
  • Post subject:
I think this is a personal decision and really ends up coming down to your own personal reasoning behind making a chart.

If you are making a chart that represents what your favorite albums are then your favorite albums are your favorite albums regardless of who made them. So include 9 albums by The Beatles if you want.

If you are trying to make a chart for some other reason such as what you think other people want to see, to get high ratings, to satisfy some critical criteria that you've set, to create discussion, etc. then that is where the arbitraty rules come into place.

I tend to lean towards the first case so my charts do have multiple albums by some of my favorite artists.

It sure didn't bother some of the major publications like Rolling Stone to include multiple albums by the same artist. You only have to look at their top 10 to get an idea of how they feel about Bob Dylan and The Beatles.
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 02/15/2013 17:10
  • Post subject:
I have set the limit at 2 albums per artist, but I usually mention other great albums from that artist in the notes of the entries which are already on the chart, because in a lot of cases it's hard to choose when there are a lot of equally great albums from an artist to choose from.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website