Increasing the number of albums allowable on our lists

View previous topic :: View next topic
AfterHours

• Posted: 09/30/2006 18:08
  • Post subject: Increasing the number of albums allowable on our lists
I'd love to have the option to increase my top albums list to 25, 50, or even up to 100 albums. Is this a possibility? Can this be added?

Obviously, it couldn't all fit on one page. You could keep the cover photos (which are great to have), and simply have ten per page. A person looking at the list could just click page 2 to look at 11-20, 3 to look at 21-30, and so forth. I think there should be room for up to 100.

This would allow myself and others to show more of the albums they love, and it would make our lists more comparable to the ones posted by music sites and magazines, which is a major goal of this site.

Personally, I have a number of albums I'd like to post that are equally deserving of being known as the ones on my top 10. 10 albums isn't enough room to show all the many astounding masterpieces that can be found in rock and jazz.

Can this be changed as per the above?
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 10/02/2006 22:34
  • Post subject:
Hi AfterHours, we could try increasing the maximum length of a chart to 20 as an experiment but I think longer charts could cause usabilty and/or data problems (if a user had to list 100 albums, a user may be less careful/rushed with their entries and the system may need to be less strict e.g. to allow partially completed charts to be submitted.)

I wouldn't want to lose the ability to automatically cross-match albums from different lists and compile aggregates and some of this would be lost if the validation wasn't as strict as it is at the moment. One of the site's main features is that you can analyse a single album across many different charts.

I think 20 albums per chart may be ok from a usability and systems point of view but again is something that needs testing/developing before it can go live on the site.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 10/03/2006 00:34
  • Post subject:
20 is better than 10. I'd be much more satisfied with 30 though, as from a personal viewpoint, it would allow me to post all the albums I consider to be total masterpieces (a rare rating coming from me), and would make my list that much more representative of the albums I really want to be shown.

I didn't mean that the 50 or 100 would be mandatory, just optional for those who wanted to make one that long.

What do you think about 30 though?
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 10/03/2006 20:50
  • Post subject:
Hi AfterHours, I was more worried about a 30 limit from a systems point of view more than anything else as I'm not sure the current input method would lend itself well to inputting long lists. This is why I was thinking maybe try doubling to 20 and see what happens. If it still works ok, then maybe increase the limit again to 30. But going straight from 10 to 30 may be a bit risky without reworking the code or seeing what types of usability issues pop up.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 10/04/2006 00:27
  • Post subject:
That makes sense. Thanks for looking into this. Let's see how that works then.
  • Visit poster's website